Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.140 X .100 Dawson Sight Question

Malarkey

I ordered a .140 X .100 front sight for my stock 2. I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this profile. Like it, hate it? I see now on BSPS that .160 X .100 is the most popular size. Just hoping i didn't just order a lemon.

I put the .160T on a friends Stock 3 and had to raise the Rear Sight a bit........

By that experience I ordered a .150T X .090 for my brand new Stock 2 ( mainly because of the .090W ) I use .155T on my Shadow

Lets see what others have to say

Mj

I also ordered a .150T x .090 from Dawson. Should be here by this weekend. Thought about a custom .160T x .090 but didn't want to pay the extra fee.

I was told by BSPS that they JUST started making those..... I wonder if its because it will work perfect :)

I ordered a .140 X .100 front sight for my stock 2. I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this profile. Like it, hate it? I see now on BSPS that .160 X .100 is the most popular size. Just hoping i didn't just order a lemon.

I put them on both my Stock II's and it was nice to not have the rear sight jacked up. I think I would prefer the narrower .150 though.

if it shoots low with the rear all the way down...raise the rear. That's how it works.

I know that but OP and others ^^^ are searching for the one that will keep the rear flush

Why would you want the rear all the way down (bottomed out at the limit of its adjustment)?

That is not a desirable situation. I think the question is, what height is most likely to put the rear in the middle of the adjustment range?

Why would you want the rear all the way down (bottomed out at the limit of its adjustment)?

That is not a desirable situation. I think the question is, what height is most likely to put the rear in the middle of the adjustment range?

Others have posted that rear sight last longer when sit flushed

I just ordered parts from Ben Stoeger's shop and got a .120 tall sight. With the stock sights, and the rear cranked down, it shoots low. I like more of a 6'clock sight picture and I hear that the .120 tall is made for keeping the rear sight low. The .160 from what I understand is if you like to hit behind the fiber optic.

I have the .120 and I am thinking I need to get a taller one. Mostly because I seem to be doing it wrong.... I shoot right on the money when I go slow, and my group drops about 4-6 inches when I go fast - and it seems it is because I'm bringing the front sight down far enough that I no longer see the silver of the slide instead of getting the equal height thing going. I did get the .120 so that the rear sight would be as low as possible - and buddy it does that.... ;)

Awesome, I've got it in and when I get some time to go out to the range to zero it I will install.

Just a question to those who have the .160, why would you want to be hitting behind the fiber dot as opposed to be hitting at the top of the front sight?

I've never had one dialed in to hit behind the dot, it seems like it would make it harder to hit a tough distance shot if you have to slightly hold over your point of impact.

The lower you can get that rear sight, the more tension is on the adjustment screw, and the more threads are engaged by said screw. This will keep it from flopping under recoil, and should help prolong the life. So in my opinion that is quite desirable.

• 1 year later...
On 3/9/2016 at 3:32 PM, ny32182 said:

The .140 tall is the ticket IMO. I still have a good bit of "down" travel left, but it keeps the rear sight nice and low. I believe I only needed 6-10 clicks of adjustment to zero the gun after installing the .140 front.

In a theoretical sense center of travel is perfect. But that back sight is fragile. Anything that'll help it hold up (like more thread engagement and spring pressure against the detents) is a good thing in my book.

Mine have .120" tall front sights.  Keeps the rear sight low but not bottomed out. Although I zeroed the gun with factory sights in order to figure out the front sight height that I needed to keep the rear sight as low as possible.  It's an easy formula.