Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Easy Luber - automatic case lube system for Dillon 650 XL

Have a buddy that has one. Erector set parts and a federal primer tray. He likes it except for all the bugs that collect in the inverted tray.

Surprised you haven't made one jmoriss

Surprised you haven't made one jmoriss

I have a bankers box lid that holds one layer of cases just right for 3 squirts of lube, a quick shake and dump into the collator no it's the right amount to not slip the clutch. By the time the cases get to the shell plate, they are dry.

Might not be a system that works for everyone but it works for me and cheap enough.

I don't think its solving a problem. Certainly not for pistol. I chuck 200-300 cases into a ziplock bag. Give it a few squirts of one shot. Seal. Shake around a bit. Dump into collator. Takes less than 1min and works very nicely.

Using a spray also inevitably gets some lube in to the case mouth which helps at the belling operation, which this system won't do. I look at this auto lube system as a cure for a non-existent problem.

Edited by Tom S.

• 4 months later...

I never used an RCBS lube die but I don't recall ever cleaning the inside of any of my collators, except one of my bullet collators when using wax lubed bullets.

The reason I have never used an RCBS lube die is because they only decap and lube. So that would mean you have to run all of the cases through the press twice. Once to decap and lube then again to resize, prime, powder bullet and crimp.

Spray and shake is many, many times faster than that and your case feeder would have lubed cases in it anyway.

Edited by jmorris

I was thinking for a 650 prep tool head (rifle)

Station 1 rcbs lube die

Station 2 full length resize

Station 3 rapid trim 1500

Station 4 blank

Station 5 Lyman M die(to debur slightly)

With the 1200 on a 650 the vacuum manifold is large enough that you cannot have dies in an adjacent station.

If you are able to get everything to fit I don't see why that would not work.

With the dillon set up I used it in #3 so I could have dies in 1&5.

IMG_20141231_101016_603-1_zps04d5d37a.jp

Edited by jmorris

What about putting a foam ball (baseball size) sprayed with case lube in the case feeder? It should just roll around with cases, and shouldn't put weight or pressure on the clutch. I think I'll try it and report back.

With the 1200 on a 650 the vacuum manifold is large enough that you cannot have dies in an adjacent station.

If you are able to get everything to fit I don't see why that would not work.

With the dillon set up I used it in #3 so I could have dies in 1&5.

IMG_20141231_101016_603-1_zps04d5d37a.jp

jmorris - what toolhead is that that on the left?

If your going to trim by hand you could put the lube die in #1 and the size die in 2,3,4 or 5.

Once you have it set up post back, I would be interested in knowing how much lube they go through.

Edited by jmorris

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/3/2017 at 5:30 PM, Smeeg said:

That system uses oil, which is an inherit no-no (oil in a chamber can send pressures skyward, plus it contaminates powder and primers).  I wonder how it would work using Dillon lube, and also what modifications could be made to put a drain in it?

9 hours ago, Tom S. said:

That system uses oil, which is an inherit no-no (oil in a chamber can send pressures skyward, plus it contaminates powder and primers).  I wonder how it would work using Dillon lube, and also what modifications could be made to put a drain in it?

I think the Oiler label is mis-leading, you can use any liquid-based case lube.  I bought one a while back and tried it (will Dillon lube and 223) - seems like a good idea but I really never got it to work well - I never got a stuck case but I got a lot more resistance than just using the box lid and spray method.  I think there's not enough time from running through the wheels to hitting the sizing die maybe, but anyway I didn't care for it.  I returned it and the eBay seller refunded my purchase price.  On a 1050 it also sits at a slight angle since the casefeed tube is at a slight angle, so you have to be careful in filling to get enough to hit the wheels while not putting in so much that you overflow on the low side.  The "cup" is just a plastic endcap like you would find on a cardboard shipping tube, so would be easy enough to put a drain of some sort in I suppose as well.