Aging Eyes

Ghorsley

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those 'aging eyes' guys (yes I am one of them), how much has your shooting improved/changed with an optic (open or carry optic class). I am speaking how much, if any, has you match performance changed, percentage wise?

For those 'aging eyes' guys (yes I am one of them), how much has your shooting improved/changed with an optic (open or carry optic class). I am speaking how much, if any, has you match performance changed, percentage wise?

I just started shooting carry optic, so im still learning the nuances of shooting an optic pistol. There is a learning curve. But very quickly I have realized with my aging eyes it is very benificial. I will use the "El Presidente" as an example. My average time is around 7 seconds with 2-3 charlies on average with iron sights. Same pistol (M&P 9L) with optic and only a few practice shots immeditely yeilded the same 7 second average with 100% Alphas. Im hooked.

With a blurry front sight, red dots are like cheating. Cowitnessed irons, even though still fuzzy, really helped me with with alignment, sight picture and ultimately speed.

post-55388-0-40527900-1465004853_thumb.j

Edited by M8Stealth

With prescription glasses the front sight is sharp, targets are slightly blurry. Was wondering how much my shooting scores would improved with optic, either carry or open?

With prescription glasses the front sight is sharp, targets are slightly blurry. Was wondering how much my shooting scores would improved with optic, either carry or open?

If your front sight is sharp, an optic is not going to make as much improvement as having the target sharp and shooting with both eyes open.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Bkreutz, but I see a double image when I use both eyes, so I close my left eye and the front sight is sharp, but the target is a little blurry. Tried the tape over the left lens does not appear to help. Any other suggestions???

I had the same problem and solved in for production with different prescriptions in each eye. My left (dominant eye) is set to give me a razor sharp focus on my front sight. My right (non dominant) eye is set for distance vision and can clearly see the target. When I shoot I focus on the front sight but the target is a bit clearer. It is almost like looking at the target with peripheral vision. The only problem with this is that you have to put the glasses on about an hour before the match to get comfortable with them. Also when you take them off you feel a little dizzy for a few minutes until your eyes adjust. I don't have the problem anymore, though, because I switched to carry optics. I consider it cheap practice for open division with less noise. One prescription for distance vision is all it takes and I don't have to take the glasses off to drive home.

If you want me to take a stab at a number I'll say 10% better, that's how much faster I believe I can shoot and/or get better points scored staying target focused Open or CO vs how slow my eyes are changing focus from hard sight focus to target focus when shooting production, as a 50 year old. It otherwise doesn't change how well/fast I can move between positions, draw, reload, etc. It will be worse with more distant targets or dramatic changeup, less with hoser or close-in targets you can get with your practiced index.

But beyond a slight speed improvement is a much higher enjoyment shooting a stage. Shooting fully target-focused both eyes open is like looking your window all the time while driving, vs taking quick peeks outside back and forth to looking at hands as you would with Iron sights, and in my case struggling with the speed of refocusing target to sight and in between as needed.

I'm LASIK corrected to 20/20, my arms are just barely long enough to not need reading glasses yet, but because of age / LASIK I've lost probably 30% of my ability to see well at dusk or read low light. Someone with more severe eyesight issues may see a greater improvement than myself with the dot, depending on the challenges they face.

Edited by trgt

Thanks, Bkreutz, but I see a double image when I use both eyes, so I close my left eye and the front sight is sharp, but the target is a little blurry. Tried the tape over the left lens does not appear to help. Any other suggestions???

Do not worry about the target being blurry. I shoot with just plain old non-prescription safety glasses but need trifocals for non-shooting activities. I am lucky in that my front sight is sharp without the trifocals.

Anyway, under those conditions, accuracy is the strong point of my shooting and I do best at matches that have a lot of difficult shots. Foot speed is another story :( .

I went through the double image thing when I first started learning to shoot with both eyes open, it just took some time to train my brain not to do that.