Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA with the 454 Casull

Alaskan454

Just ordered some 45 speedloaders and will be running my Ruger Alaskan at our monthly IDPA match, do any of your guys shoot the big bores at club level? I think these loads should be around 400 PF from the 2.5" barrel. Match director said all the steel will be rated for 1400 fps so I'm good to go!

I have been using a Ruger Alaskan in USPSA & IDPA completion since 2007. Although I fire 45 Colt in mine for competition. the idea of firing approximately 90+ rounds of 454 Casull from it in a match that is 400PF has no appeal to me. I salute you and wish you well! :D

Edited by Blueridge

Years ago I started to give pins out for the ".357 and up club" for West Houston IDPA. Shoot a match with full load .357 or up and you got one of my pins. I have done it with .357 and full load .44 Mag but not at what you are shooting. My best was a Sanction IDPA match in North Texas last year shooting Revolver and did the whole match (180+ scored rounds) with full load .44 Mags.

My hats off to you. Let me know when you do it and will send you one of my pins <G> Contact me via my private email: solari@prodigy.net

Garry Newton

I shoot matches from time to time with a 500 S&W. Everyone gets a kick out of it. :goof: Steel will be fine if it's poppers. Try shooting a plate rack and you will likely break the plates off at the pivot.

I'd be sure to advise everyone else who might be interested in coming of your intentions. It's highly unkind to bring such a barking cannon to a match and not have people forwarned. Someone could end up with hearing damage from insufficient ear plugs. Be prepared to paste your own targets.

For fun, why not load it with black powder? You'd get an earth shaking boom at a frequency much more powerfully percieved, but friendly to the ears and no threat to the steel.

I once shot at a turkey with a .460 S&W. I had on electronic earmuffs and had forgotten about that fact and failed to warn the other two hunters I was with. I was instantly unpopular and had to help two pissed off people up off the ground. They had doven for cover when the gun went off out of shock and a belief that it had exploded in my hands.

Edited by Forrest Halley

I don't really believe this, I shoot a fair amount of 454 and I use the same howard leight earmufs I use for uspsa. I find the 38supers from open guns to still be louder/sharper than the 454. None of it is causing hearing damage through the muffs.

Maybe if your hunting buddies didn't have any ear protection but ear and eye protection are required at any match I have been to in the past 10 years.

Someone could end up with hearing damage from insufficient ear plugs.