Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting load for Clays?

Chutist

I searched but didn't find much. ;) Lots of discussion very little data.... Looking for a current load for USPSA Major.

I'm running Xtreme 180 GR Plated in an 5" STI with an OAL of 1.180.

I could go longer OAL. Looking for actual loads you're using with the charge, bullet and OAL.

PM me if you'd rather :ph34r:

Hodgdon shows 3.4 as max but it's a jacketed 180 at a much shorter OAL.

C.O.L.
Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Hodgdon
Clays
.400"
1.125"
25,400 PSI
32,100 PSI

My gut says start about 3.8 and work up.... ;)

Edited by Chutist

Some folks say Clays is not a good major .40 powder, too much chance of over pressure. Once I get rid of 10 lbs of 700X, I'll be switching to Clays. I have 16 lbs of that. Will do the same as you...start low and work my way up.

interesting to know about Clays for 40 thanks. I'm looking for a new one size fits all powder for 40 and 9mm. Time Group seems to cover both. I think the best option though is work loads for a variety of powders and get what you can get!

If you load Clay to major and OAL is short, you will blow the case heads off...how do I know? Ask me, I know by experience.

I do and have loaded 40 with clays for a long time, but long on the OAL.Won't work in a Glock since Glock magazines require shorter OAL (1.125-1.130). Use Solo 1000 for similar load for Glocks.

I shoot this out of a Para SX-16 5" gun: 4.0 gr clays with 180 gr lead or moly bullet, 1.180 OAL results in a 170 PF...soft shooting loads for major (12 lb recoil spring).

Edited by Mark R

Excellent - just what i was looking for. I'm surprised that searches here - and I tried several - didn't turn up this thread.

OBTW - My results with TG mirrors yours :D

I've loaded a lot of clays

No internet war please

Load at least 1.200

1.225 is better

Better yet find some wst powder and load 1.180 to 172 pf and never look back

I'll consider longer OAL as I go... I like WST but there is none around here. Lots of guys use clays and I was able to get some. ;)

If you load Clay to major and OAL is short, you will blow the case heads off...how do I know? Ask me, I know by experience.

I do and have loaded 40 with clays for a long time, but long on the OAL.Won't work in a Glock since Glock magazines require shorter OAL (1.125-1.130). Use Solo 1000 for similar load for Glocks.

I shoot this out of a Para SX-16 5" gun: 4.0 gr clays with 180 gr lead or moly bullet, 1.180 OAL results in a 170 PF...soft shooting loads for major (12 lb recoil spring).

Thanks Mark - I'm loading AT LEAST 1.180 and I may go to 1.20 just to buy some margin. ;)

:excl: BREAK BREAK :excl:

To the others - I'm not looking to debate the safety of this powder. I'm an adult and fully aware of the risks. :devil: AGAIN, to be clear, I'm not looking to debate, I'm just looking for data on a load that is in WIDE SPREAD use in the USPSA community. Please stay on topic here.... :cheers:

4.5grs,175 swc Bayou, 1.200oal, 173pf, very soft,very accurate in 2 sti's and a Tanfo limited.

Thanks :cheers: Seeing the data from you and several others... I've extended my OAL to 1.200 ;) Going to test tomorrow. :D

3.8 grs. tomorrow... just dipping a toe in. If that's ok, I'll bump to 4.0 and test again...

Edited by Chutist

Just got back after trying 3.8 at both 1.180 and 1.120 OAL with 180 Gr X-treme RNFP. :ph34r: Shot them back to back with my existing Titegroup load.

Checked all the brass, no pressure signs...

Clay's was noticeably softer and it was easier to track the front site moving across a plate rack. :D Gun ran well with the load. I totally understand why people like Clays. ;) It's enough softer that it's a competitive advantage. :surprise:

Thanks guys. :cheers:

Edited by Chutist

Have not loaded Clays for a while in my STI. But as I recall I was running around 3.4 grains behind a 185 grain bullet for major PF. As I also recall I stopped at 3.6 grains because it was already well into the major range, so i did not bother shooting the 3.8 or 4.0 grain loads across the chrono. This gun has a very tight chamber and barrel so it takes less powder to get a full power load.

The point I am making is to start lower than you think and build up. You can always increase the load but if you start too high it can be dangerous.

4.5grs,175 swc Bayou, 1.200oal, 173pf, very soft,very accurate in 2 sti's and a Tanfo limited.

This is pretty much where I'm at. 4.4gr got me 172PF with 180gr BBI coated flat point, but for bulk loading I would have to go a bit higher to make sure I don't dip under 165PF. I seem to be getting lower velocities than most, not sure if it's the batch of powder, crimp, bullet diameter, or something about the barrel. 4.6gr seems to be the limit - primers are getting flat.

I was able to run out to the range just now. :goof:

STI DVC - stock Ti coated Barrel

3.8 Grs. Clays 1.180 OAL with 180 X-tream RNFP.

First string of ten had rounds with S&B SPP- 805 FPS average 797 min 815 max :surprise:

Second String of ten had rounds with WW SPP - 802

3rd string of rounds with S&B SPP - 808

Ran a string with TG

4.5 TG 180 OAL 902 average - These rounds had WW Small RIFLE primers.

So the next round, I'll start working up! ;) Now that I have a baseline in my gun. Several guys seem to be right around 4.4 grains to make Major and I'd bet that's about right for my gun too. :D

This effort is with my new 650 and EGW U die. I like the fact that I'm getting a really tight fit - bullet to case - with brass sized with the U die. I've tried feeding some rounds, ejecting without firing and rechecking the OAL. NO CHANGE. :D

The S&B primers look really nice! Even the new packaging looks nice. They "felt" the same as WWSPP when I was seating them with the 650. 100 rounds is a small sample but so far they are perfect! ;)

Edited by Chutist

Anybody loading Clays in 40 down in the OAL range of 1.125"?

yes, for minor loads...

Manufacturer
Powder
Bullet Diam.
.400"
C.O.L.
Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Grs.
Vel. (ft/s)
Pressure
Hodgdon
Clays
.400"
1.125"
25,400 PSI

Sorry for the way it posted. From Hodgdon's web site!!

Edited by beretta391

Yup same data I posted at the start of this thread ;) Didn't format great for me either! ;)

Got out to the range today to test with 4.4 gn. 180 OAL and 180 Xtreme RNFP. 917 FPS Average with a 30 FPS extreme spread. Gun is a STI DVC.

Felt great, right AT power factor. ;)