Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sideways LP primers in .45 acp

shooterDrew

To start I've reloaded 15,000+ 9mm on a 650 in the last year. This year I picked up another 650 to be dedicated to 45. So far I've loaded maybe 1500 rounds working through numerous types of primers.... Now I'm on S&B which I've got 5k or so of them.

I'm getting sideway seated primers all over the place.... Anyone know why??? I've never had this happen with small pistol primers in 9mm.... It's very frustrating and getting to be expensive!

d5c62fb624502cebc74a1d8a83acca6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't know why it happens, but you can usually feel it happening. When it happens to me I remove the case right there from the primer seat station, remove the primer, put the case back, advance the primer wheel by hand, and press another primer into it. No wasting a bullet...

jj

Had this happen on my LNL and came to the conclusion that these primers are flat enough on the bottom that they would catch, not the one in the priming mechanism, but the one above it. So I polished the areas that could cause that catch and flip action, which seems to have fixed the problem. Don't know where or if that could happen on a Dillon press. Good luck!

Remove the shell plate and clean it and the platform.

Then make sure your shell plate is rotating freely and snapping into the detente.

I had the same problem and found that the detente ball was not snapping into the shell plate leaving the case misaligned with the primer punch.

Haven't had a problem since and I load lots of LP S&B in .45.

Edit: Also make sure the nut securing the magazine tube is snug.

Edited by TDA

And remove the primer slide, and clean both the race area of the press, and the bottom of the primer slide. Does your press have the stamped steel guide between the slide and the press frame? I don't remember if 650s need those or not. My 550 was terrible about doing this. Dillon ended up replacing the primer slides because my press had first generation slides, and they were always binding. Just keep an eye on your primer slide, and see if it jerks as it travels. The travel of the primer slide must remain smooth and steady or the primers could end up standing on end by the time they reach the case.

Remove the shell plate and clean it and the platform.

Then make sure your shell plate is rotating freely and snapping into the detente.

I had the same problem and found that the detente ball was not snapping into the shell plate leaving the case misaligned with the primer punch.

Haven't had a problem since and I load lots of LP S&B in .45.

Edit: Also make sure the nut securing the magazine tube is snug.

Took the shell plate off and cleaned it up and checked the detent ball. Flipped the spring there, as it seemed to sit more correctly after flipping it (if that makes sense)... Also removed the roller bearing mod I had put on initially, and then tightened the shell plate back down and loaded up a quick 75 rounds. No primer flipping issue at all. Hopefully this has cured it. Thanks for the input!

I load 9mm and 223 on the same press. I was getting sideways primers with the 223 but not the 9mm. As previously mentioned, I cleaned the primer system and removed all the small powder, and grit that seems to get into it. I also did a thorough cleaning of the press and i noticed that the plastic indexing ring was cracked. Dillon also recommended that I use the alignment tool. so far, no issues.

Edited by stick

I took the shell plate off and cleaned everything well and then reassembled. I made sure that the detent ball was tracking correctly and now that it's back together I'm not having the issue anymore. I can't say 100% that I know what the exact problem was, but thankfully it's not happening currently. Thank you for the input from everyone!!

Lots of good info here. I have moved almost exclusively to S&B LP and SP. Both for price and quality.

The only time I get sideways primers is when I am a little quick on the primer insertion push, and the shell plate hasn't fully cycled into place.

This I solved by adding a slight pause on the upstroke when I feel the slight resistance from the primer.

The slight pause gives the shell plate time to center. Basically stopped the sideways primers.

BTW, I have the phenolic ball and the bearing kit on the shell plate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
  • bullet_black.png
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:31 AM

Recently I began having problems with my 550 primer system. Primers in the cup were occasionally upsidedown or on their side.

I was told about the weighted primer follower and tried that. No help.

When coming down with the shell plate I was hearing a small click. Followed up on that and found that the primer cup was not centered in the shell plate platform hole. The cup was catching a very little bit on the shell plate platform as it came down. When the cup slipped free of the shell plate platform the spring in the cup rebounded, bouncy the primer slightly in the cup. Sometimes the primer got screwed up.

I spent a lot of time trying to recenter the primer cup. Also tried cleaning and lubricating. No help.

Finally after sitting in front of the press for hours, studing, I found the problem. The "shell plate platform" which is under the shell plate & home to the little ball bearing had turned very slightly. The two bolts which hold the platform go thru holes which are a little to large which allows the shell plate platform to turn some fraction of a degree. I loosed the two hold-down bolts, took up the slack in the bolt holes.

Primer cup now travels smoothly thru the shell plate platform and no more up side down primers.

Ruffian

I've crushed way too many primers in my 650. I blame it all on crappy brass. The price is right so I don't mind the crushed primers too much. Now that I'm loading brass that I've fired at least once, I'm much happier.

The biggest problem with crappy brass is that you sometimes have to put some real muscle into the handle to size it. When those power down-strokes end you are causing the entire press to shake and that is what usually causes the primer to flip. Or sometimes, it's just the quick stop of the handle that leaves the case not quite aligned with the primer hole.

• 5 months later...

Could be the S&B brass.  I found their 9mm primer pockets were small.  I get a lot of primers tilting or crushing when I load S&B Brass.  Don't have the ptoblem with other brands. Could be the same on 45.  If you have a primer pocket swager, you could try that.  For 9mm, I just toss them.  There's plenty of 9mm available.  If you don't have a lot of them, consider tossing them.