Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Dynamics Red Oktober Kalashnikov

Rifle Dynamics Red Oktober Kalashnikov

rokflag2rd.jpg

October 29-30, 2016

Few, if any firearms have influenced the course of history more than the Kalashnikov series of assault rifles. Easily manufactured, tough as nails, simple enough for any conscript soldier or freedom fighter to operate, the AK is the most popular combat rifle in the world.

Unfortunately, the American AK is left behind when it comes to fun competitive shooting matches, in modern 3-Gun and Carbine matches it is simply outpaced by high-speed and highly modified AR-style rifles.

We at the ROK still love our ARs, 3-Gun matches and high-speed shooting. But, there is a soft spot in our heart for the Kalashnikov rifle and we find it sad that there’s no good competitive outlet for the AK in American shooting sports.

In the ROK, we have built a match that is challenging and exciting, all while shooting with a standard, inexpensive factory AK and surplus ammo. Stages in the match will celebrate the long and storied history of the “Kalash”.

If you love the AK, you don't want to miss this match! Vendors are excited to support the competition, and there will be all kinds of media on hand to record the action.

The match is held in St George, UT at the SUPS range. We have hosted and designed many huge events, including Hard as Hell multigun, 3 gun nation western regionals, USPSA nationals, and more! Only a two hour drive from Las Vegas.

Registration is now open!

Learn more about the ROK match here

Visit our Facebook page

Edited by TacticalPerformanceCenter

I've never desired to live anywhere other than the great State of Kentucky. Except for St George, UT. The range is great, and you guys love what you do, as evident in the writing of the rules:

Since the ROK will require shooting at steel targets, no steel core or bi­metal ammo is allowed JUST KIDDING! We have enough junk steel targets that we don’t care if you trash them! Use whatever cheap­ass surplus stuff you can find!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished shooting this.  It was very well received.  We had a great time, and y'all can expect it to be twice as big and be a sellout next year.

I bought an AK just for this match, knowing very little about them.  But I had a couple days of practice with it, and did not embarrass myself.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I finished 7th out of 44 in the Heavy division with a stock Norinco 7.62x39.  Well, I did until they wound up taking out the night stage from the overall results.  That dropped me to 13th because I had a good run (4th) that night.  But I was on the third squad to shoot it, and it got harder for others as some lights failed later.  It happens.  I'm still happy.  I shot it with tracers, too, but it didn't help me.  Got lots of oohs and aahs out if it, though!  And it sure emphasized my miss with that darn bullet burning in the berm...

The overall winner came from the Heavy division, too, so he must have kicked some serious butt.

Edited by MAC702

This was a great event.  It was well run and felt more like a festival than a "regular" major match.  the stages were a lot of fun.  Not too challenging for the new shooters that showed up, but they allowed seasoned shooters to "let 'er rip", which is a lot of fun with an AK.  There were a ton of AK-focused-industry folks there doing demos and allowing people to test their wares.  Some of the coolest stuff was from Dead Air Armament.  They have designed and made the first suppressor for standard, rack-grade AK's that work. 

The Match definitely drew a crowd from a slightly different demographic than we are used to at major matches.  But that's okay!  I would bet that for about 50% of the field, this was their first competition...and they loved it.  We are all brothers-in-arms. 

I liked the night stage, and thought it was fun.  But it definitely changed from the first shooter to the last. I watched it all night and was one of the last to shoot it.  I think Brian and crew made a good call and have learned some things for next year. (Which, by the way, is going to be awesome.  I hear Southern Utah Practical Shooters, TPC, et al have some BIG plans for the future!!!)

Craig Outzen summed up this match the best.  He said, "I have never shot a gun that was so intent on trying to kick my ass.  every part of it is trying to pinch me, burn me, cut me...and if you don't man up and take charge with it, it will straight up hit you in the mouth!"  (or something like that ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I shoot at the host range often.  It's been mentioned several times, so plan on it.   I'm here for USPSA Area 1 now and I'll bet Ken pumps it up to the crowd at the end of the weekend. 

Targets are generous and I don't think we shot over 100 yards last year.  Which was a bit of a disappointment as I'd like to see who knows their rifle at distance to balance out the hosers more. 

Edited by MAC702