Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Jump shot out side of shooting area legal?

hwansikcjswo

Watching the video I would give you 2 procedurals. For firing shots outside of the shooting area. If the WSB indicated that this was a forbidden action, that's a whole other kettle of fish.

2.2.1.2 Shooting Boxes and Fault Lines are used to define the limits of the shooting area(s). (See Rule 10.2.1)

10.2.1 A competitor who fires shots while any part of their body is touching the ground or while stepping on an object beyond a Shooting Box or a Fault Line, or who gains support or stability through contact with an object which is wholly beyond and not attached to a Shooting Box or Fault Line, will receive one procedural penalty for each occurrence. However, if the competitor has gained a significant advantage on any target(s) while faulting, the competitor may instead be assessed one procedural penalty for each shot fired at the subject target(s) while faulting. No penalty is assessed if a competitor does not fire any shots while faulting, providing doing so does not violate (2.2.1.5 or 3.2.6) Shots fired after completely (both feet out and touching the ground) leaving a shooting area will be penalized one penalty per shot until the competitor establishes a presence in a new shooting area with at least one foot on the ground inside the shooting area.

Watching the video I would give you 2 procedurals. For firing shots outside of the shooting area. If the WSB indicated that this was a forbidden action, that's a whole other kettle of fish.

2.2.1.2 Shooting Boxes and Fault Lines are used to define the limits of the shooting area(s). (See Rule 10.2.

10.2.1 A competitor who fires shots while any part of their body is touching the ground or while stepping on an object beyond a Shooting Box or a Fault Line, or who gains support or stability through contact with an object which is wholly beyond and not attached to a Shooting Box or Fault Line, will receive one procedural penalty for each occurrence. However, if the competitor has gained a significant aIdvantage on any target(s) while faulting, the competitor may instead be assessed one procedural penalty for each shot fired at the subject target(s) while faulting. No penalty is assessed if a competitor does not fire any shots while faulting, providing doing so does not violate (2.2.1.5 or 3.2.6) Shots fired after completely (both feet out and touching the ground) leaving a shooting area will be penalized one penalty per shot until the competitor establishes a presence in a new shooting area with at least one foot on the ground inside the shooting area.

that rule specifically addresses shots fired while touching the ground or an object outside the shooting area, or having been out side the shooting area and not having yet having established position inside the shooting area (by having at least one foot touching inside the shooting area and nothing touching elsewhere). This seems to me after the 3rd viewing that he had left the shooting area and not established position back inside in that case penalties apply.

Edited response after several viewings of video and best I could tell he left the shooting area before he hopped.

Edited by caspian guy

You can shoot in the air as long as the last place your feet touched was inside the shooting area, 10.2.1 has only to do with where your feet are touching, not where they are not. Have seen and done the "shoot the last shot or two in the air" several times even at majors. By trying to use 2.2.1.2 for this, it would also imply that your gun could not extend over the fault lines, which is not the case either. I watched the video but have no idea where the fault lines are so my comments are general not specific to the video.

Also it could not have been a forbidden area, because no ropes.

Edited by RJH

You can shoot in the air as long as the last place your feet touched was inside the shooting area, 10.2.1 has only to do with where your feet are touching, not where they are not. Have seen and done the "shoot the last shot or two in the air" several times even at majors. By trying to use 2.2.1.2 for this, it would also imply that your gun could not extend over the fault lines, which is not the case either. I watched the video but have no idea where the fault lines are so my comments are general not specific to the video.

Also it could not have been a forbidden area, because no ropes.

Different situation. The current rule says if you are all the way out you have to get a foot back in or you are hit for a per shot penalty. If he was all the way out ,jumping in the air was the same as just standing there and shooting.

BUT, that change is as of the 2014 rule book so if he did it prior to that it may have been legal