Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stupid mind...

Matt in TN

Something I've noticed repeatedly now - whether in dry fire practice, live fire practice, or in a match:

When I'm cruising along, focused on the action and fully in the present, things go well. Things sometimes go so well that I think "damn, I'm smokin' this run/drill/etc.". Yes, instead of focusing on the process, just for a split second I think about how I'm doing well.

And that's when things fall apart.

And no matter how many times I tell myself: "See? You're NOT really awesome, and you need to stay in the present", sooner or later things go well again and my ego jumps back up and gets in the way. I swear my own mind is laughing at me sometimes. Its ability to screw with me is legendary.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Matt,

It kinda surprises me that this didn't get more response.

We have probably all done what you describe to some extent or another.

What helped me was establishing a mental program. Might want to get Lanny Bassham's book "With Winning in Mind".

I think about all kinds of things during a match, but definitely during stage prep and shooting,...my mental program is at the forefront, and this, for me, stops what you describe.

Edited by Chris iliff

Hi Matt,

It kinda surprises me that this didn't get more response.

We have probably all done what you describe to some extent or another.

What helped me was establishing a mental program. Might want to get Lanny Bassham's book "With Winning in Mind".

I think about all kinds of things during a match, but definitely during stage prep and shooting,...my mental program is at the forefront, and this, for me, stops what you describe.

Thanks for the response! I have Lanny Bassham's book and have read it several times now. It has definitely helped me a lot.

But just like sometimes, even though I KNOW I'm supposed to pull the trigger without disturbing the sights - I fail and it happens anyway. I KNOW I'm supposed to focus on the process and try my best to do so, but sometimes my mind creeps in and gets in the way. Damn ego. ;-)

I guess I need to read that book again...

Edited by Matt in TN

• 2 weeks later...

I had this happen on the last shot of a steel match I was shooting. I was on my way to hitting my goal time of 100.0 seconds for the 5 stage match, and I went 4 for 4 on the last string (speed option), and if I hit the last plate I would have had my goal. Instead I missed it. 8 times, including a reload. I shot a 100.66 that match.

Recently I've been doing better.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I've learned to avoid this and just concentrate on all the things you need to do to get there. It just takes time. Sometimes I will talk about a "ham sandwich" to the RO, or picture myself eating one. Sometimes I'll say "shoot like you shoot" and that's my way of telling myself not to do anything different than normal.

I find that sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's getting to be less of a "big deal" to me now so hopefully that means improvement. You'll find the same thing. The less of an issue you make it, the less of an issue it becomes.

p.s. The ham sandwich comment was from a post about this very issue a loooong time ago.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Thats happened to me a few times, i will be doing good on a stage and think to myself "man i hope i keep this up the whole match" and then it goes to crap! Its hard not to think about it when your doing good on a stage

12 hours ago, DASR4 said:

Thats happened to me a few times, i will be doing good on a stage and think to myself "man i hope i keep this up the whole match" and then it goes to crap! Its hard not to think about it when your doing good on a stage

Exactly!  If my mind would just get out of the way I'd be a pretty good shooterr.

Change your mind thought and make it easier.  Just think.  You've just shot a stage with all hits.  Now, you know it's possible and you proved it to yourself.  Next is to just relax and let it happen again.   Believe that you already hit the next stage clean before you shoot it and then just shoot the stage. 

Don't think  "Can I do  it?"  Think " It's Easy," because I've done it before and can keep shooting clean.  Why would you miss the last shot? 

Example:  In archery we had to shoot 60 arrows at a 3" bullseye from 20 yards.   Most people I knew could put 59 in the bull but would miss the last shot.  I always thought " I just made 59 perfect shots.  There is no reason on earth to miss the next one."  I went on to shoot perfect scores regularly winning many matches.

Pistol shooting is no different. 

After a long layoff I'm trying to believe in myself again.   Each time I've shot the Steel Challenge match my scores have improved.  I keep seeing in my mind how easy it is.  And it's getting easier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The part about egos is that once a stage is completed with excellent results, yeah, we feel like we are gods, and that is what gets you down as subconsciously you think that you have reached your plateau and your next stage, match, etc., you want to hit that limit again. Do NOT put limits on yourself! When you shoot an exceptional stage or match, the next time you shoot, you do not want to shoot that good again, you want to surpass that! If you limit yourself, you will forever be pressured in trying to meet the goals you achieved, the key is to subconsciously forget about that good score or time, and focus on surpassing that by shooting as quick as you can without any limits.

• 2 months later...

Sometimes it all seems to be happening so fast, I find that I do the best when I just do my walk throughs and visualize the stage and just shoot it.   At a match your draw is yoru draw, yor reload is what it is, if you try to do more than you can it just makes for a bad stage.  Not to say that  these can't be improved by practice, but to try and out shoot my self has never worked.

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2017 at 3:42 AM, alotur said:

I think this is one of my big problems.  I spend so much time on fundamentals, I kind of fall apart in the middle of a stage.

Go here:

https://brianenos.com/pages/words

The scroll way down to the "Fundamentals & Technique" topic.

(The link at the top of the page to that topic doesn't work.)