Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which CGW parts for the P-09?

polymerfeelsweirdman

Hi, I'm trying to price out a P-09 and am trying to determine which CGW parts are worth buying. The list I came up is this:

-short reset kit

-Dawson sights

-stainless guide rod

-flat wire recoil spring (not sure what weight everyone uses)

-4 piece spring kit

-reduced power trigger return spring

Am I missing anything or do I have anything unnecessary? My budget is tight so if I can skip on some things like the guide rod then I'd like to

-You can twist the end cap off the stock guide rod and use it as a non-captive setup.

-Don't bother with the 4 spring kit, you already get a reduced power firing pin return spring with the short reset kit. Just buy the springs separately.

-Buy a mainspring

-Buy the reduced power safety plunger spring

-If I remember right, the short reset kit is meant to go with the CGW hammer so you may need to file the stock hammer hooks shorter to get it to work.

-You may or may not need an extra power sear spring depending on how low you go with the mainspring

-CZ 75 recoil springs work fine but since they're not flat wire you need to make sure the coil against the slide isn't poking through the slide hole when putting it together. If you're not interested in that, the flat wire spring labeled as 15#/Gold will work. It's shorter so it won't feel like a a 15# spring meant for a full sized gun.

-Sandpaper. You'll want to polish the internals.

zhunter started a thread about P-09 tuning, he's got good info in there.

I agree with busdriver02. I think you can get pretty far with the just following ($45) plus a really good polishing session:

13lb blue hammer spring
reduced power trigger return spring
15lb "gold" recoil spring
extended firing pin (comes with spring)
The Dawson sights are nice. I like the tall ones, but the low profile are nice as well.
The short reset kit is nice, but I think the P09s shoot pretty well anyway, and like busdriver02 says, it really shines in combination with the CGW hammer.
I like the OEM steel guide rod, with or without the end cap.

Yes, the stock plastic guide rod works fine with the flatwire springs CGW sells. The stock recoil spring is flatwire, it's just really heavy.

Since you're on a budget, I would consider skipping the short reset kit and just get the extended firing pin.

Edited by busdriver02

I would recommend shooting it stock for a bit before you spend a ton of money. I have a .40cal P09 that I put a lighter hammer spring in, bent the trigger bar spring down a little bit in, and then shot a ton, and its actually very smooth. Ive thought about getting all the CGW parts but dont know if I could really see that making it shoot better enough to justify the cost.

What will you be doing with the pistol? CC, IDPA, USPSA/IPSC, home defense, plinking, just for a good pistol to take to the range?

Without some idea as to what you will be using the pistol for it is hard to determine what to recommend....

Probably all of the above minus CC with the note that I'm temporarily living far from any action pistol clubs.

I also noticed that CZ is coming out with convertible Omega cz75 guns, and I like the idea of a cz75 Omega with decocker given it has the upswept beavertail frame- I like the p-09 partly for the decocker amongst other things like the accuracy people are getting, the large frame as I have large hands, the front and rear slide serrations, the slide shape, etc. The 75 Omega would allow me to buy cheap 75 mags and have the steel frame with a short dust cover (the sp-01 is a little heavy for my taste). Are the cz75 competition hammers compatible with these Omega cz75's? I'm also wondering if they come with steel or polymer guide rods.

Probably all of the above minus CC with the note that I'm temporarily living far from any action pistol clubs.

I also noticed that CZ is coming out with convertible Omega cz75 guns, and I like the idea of a cz75 Omega with decocker given it has the upswept beavertail frame- I like the p-09 partly for the decocker amongst other things like the accuracy people are getting, the large frame as I have large hands, the front and rear slide serrations, the slide shape, etc. The 75 Omega would allow me to buy cheap 75 mags and have the steel frame with a short dust cover (the sp-01 is a little heavy for my taste). Are the cz75 competition hammers compatible with these Omega cz75's? I'm also wondering if they come with steel or polymer guide rods.

Be very careful then on modification if you are going to shoot USPSA Production. Maybe be similar in IDPA but not familiar with rules for pistols. Exterior mods are pretty much limited to sight cuts and replacing parts with OFM parts for the pistol. Don't read the Production diving appendix. Study it. If even the slightest doubt on whether a mod is legal, ask NROI.

I just bought the 97098 pro action kit, which has most of the above, plus a SS guide rod and the 5 piece spring kit for tinkering (optional). Add whatever sights you want (I got mine from Dawson out of blind loyalty, dunno if they're any better or not.) I run an 11.5 or 13# hammer spring with good results (Fed primers).

Even with CGW's reasonable shipping costs, you'll spend more in the long run piecemealing everything together over multiple orders.

Is the roller bearing worth it or just polish the OEM?

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

Be very careful then on modification if you are going to shoot USPSA Production. Maybe be similar in IDPA but not familiar with rules for pistols. Exterior mods are pretty much limited to sight cuts and replacing parts with OFM parts for the pistol. Don't read the Production diving appendix. Study it. If even the slightest doubt on whether a mod is legal, ask NROI.

I am mostly aware of production legality through Glocks but I wasn't sure with the CGW hammer- I thought it might have been a reprofiled engagement of an OEM hammer

I am strongly considering the 75 omega but I'm still not sure. I don't think they have started shopping yet.

Is the roller bearing worth it or just polish the OEM?

I wouldn't bother unless you're having timing problems after polishing internal parts. Don't go over board and remove a bunch of material and you should be fine.

I bought one just because. It makes the double action pull slightly smoother but it's only noticeable if you really really try (like closing my eyes and meditating on the trigger while pulling super slow) you'd never notice it actually shooting.