Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

PCC choices for Steel Challenge and 3Gun

IntenseImage

I am prepping to buy a new gun for Steel and 3 Gun matches and have pretty much narrowed it down to these:

JP GMR-13 ... Not sure if 14.5 or 16

Quarter Circle 10 build

SIG MPX, but mags are stupidly expensive

CZ Scorpion EVO carbine

The JP is probably the gold standard of the group and since this will never see an SBR stamp, seems like the most logical choice. It's also mid pack in terms of cost.

Let's hear your opinions, and if JP, which barrel length

Edited by IntenseImage

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Barrel life on a 9mm is long, the crown will certainly need to be cleaned up before the barrel is shot, I would go with a 16" so the muzzle device can get pulled. If the JP is the gold standard, and is in the middle of the pack cost wise, it seems a simple choice. Get the one you want.

I have a JP 14.5" upper in a QC10 Colt pattern lower. This combo runs like a clock. The down side to the pinned comp as mentioned above, is you can not remove it for cleaning. And shooting WWB ammo lead fouls the comp very quickly. I have to use a brass punch I filed down to a chisel point to remove the lead fouling about every 200 rounds.

I think its all about the ability to move faster in tighter spaces. I know, it's only an inch and a half, but I have to agree that transitions will be a split second faster and knowing me, I will get hung up in snow fence regardless so might as well shed some weight.. :) We were building specifically for USPSA PCC..

Shorter barrel is better - you gain almost nothing ballistically by going over 14.5". For USPSA, an SBR is likely to be quicker-handling, but of course we have no published rules yet (SBR may not even be legal). If it was me, and if SBR was an option, I would hold off until the BoD releases the provisional rules. If SBR is off the table, go 14.5" with permanent brake.

The JP and CZ are blowback guns, which will likely kick more than the gas-operated MPX. I would try to shoot each before making the decision.

You might also consider a conventional Colt-system AR15/9 with top-drop-in mag block. This approach is likely to be cheaper. If you go the SBR route, it would give you other caliber options in the future. Lastly, Colt mags are ubiquitous, relatively inexpensive, and can be made in multiple capacities (I have factory 32s, a modified UZI 40, and a home-made welded 62 rounder). All this could be yours:

AR159mmBigStickMagazine19.jpg

Edited by StealthyBlagga

How about a QC10 lower and JP 14.5" bbl?

Don't know a reason you couldn't, maybe you'd save a little money? The qc10's look great (images anyway), better than the Jp honestly. The angled cut on the front of the qc10 magwell better matches the angle of the glock mag. Don't know how the qc barrels conpare though I am planning on grabbing one for an integrally suppressed upper.

Well after some debate, I ended up going w the MPX Carbine. Cabelas had a screaming deal on a combo pack - carbine w romeo3 rds for $100 more than just the rifle. Had $50 in points to burn so went w it

IMG_20160219_224845_zps3a5nxeyi.jpg

That looks sweet... please let us know how it shoots. In particular, how does the dot recover back on target between shots versus a blowback AR15/9 (hopefully you can borrow one for comparison).

Well after some debate, I ended up going w the MPX Carbine. Cabelas had a screaming deal on a combo pack - carbine w romeo3 rds for $100 more than just the rifle. Had $50 in points to burn so went w it

IMG_20160219_224845_zps3a5nxeyi.jpg

That looks sweet... please let us know how it shoots. In particular, how does the dot recover back on target between shots versus a blowback AR15/9 (hopefully you can borrow one for comparison).

I haven't had a chance to shoot my friends JP yet, but took the MPX out tonight to zero it. Dot moves high right as expected, but for me, settles right back on target. Was quite pleased w the gun

I am glad you are enjoying the MPX and the SIG Romeo3. I think the fact that it's a rotating bolt versus a blowback gives it a very different feel that the others on the market. Mine shoots great but I haven't had a chance that I test it yet with the new brake. Maybe Friday I can get out.

RVwElfsh.jpg

Edited by alma