Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being accurate, but not fast

nahanshew89

Also, see how fast you can draw and fire 6 shots into the berm at 10 yards. Have some fun with it. :)

Edit: Ooops - forgot this was the Hate Forum.

"Whoooooa, a reply from BE himself? Even if you weren't supposed to, you did! I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy! :bow: :bow:"

Probably just a nephew again or the housekeeper, word has it that he does not password his computer.

Am working on the same problem (accurate but slow).

Ben Stoeger's dry fire book has a 4 week schedule of things to work on for folks like us, following it makes it easy to have a plan and a process for practice and I'm really high on the book in general.

Other thing, have a friend or just ask another shooter to cell phone video a stage or two, this should really help you see where opportunities lie.

Last thing I did was took a couple one on one classes with local M/GM shooters last year. It was cheap and helpful and fun.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, see how fast you can draw and fire 6 shots into the berm at 10 yards.

Kind of eye opening for me, best I can do is right at 0.20 (senior now & never accused of being quick) which is not any different from my split time for alphas at an up close target (5 yard Bill drill for example).

I always assumed that I was waiting on a sight picture instead of pulling the trigger as fast as I could.

Ugh, I did it again today. Shot very accurately, but damn it all, I need to get my speed up!! Completely flubbed one of my reloads, only got 19th place :closedeyes:

A guy I shot with today is gonna hook me up with his old GoPro so I'll be able to analyze my shooting and get better!

Edited by nahanshew89

Ugh, I did it again today. Shot very accurately, but damn it all, I need to get my speed up!! Completely flubbed one of my reloads, only got 19th place :closedeyes:

how much speed training did you do in the last couple weeks?

how much did you work on shot-calling in live fire?

you're not going to get dramatically faster in 2 weeks.

Well that's true. Millenial. I like instant gratification :roflol: I did some draw speed training and I called a lot of my shots, and did very well at it. The draw training was for naught tho, as soon as I geared up, I forgot all about it and my draws were slow. I modified my grip whilst training, and focused, focused, FOCUSED on tracking my front sight. Helped immensely and I did some really good (for me) shooting on the move. I did better than last month, but I know I can do better!!

• 2 weeks later...

One of the things that helped me out a lot was to determine what type of stages I shot well on.. were they static .. did they have a lot of movement..??

Talking with some of the better shooters in my neck of the woods... Being able to shoot fast is sometimes not the big challenge.. getting good stage performance comes by what you are doing when you are not shooting ... ie.. transitions... moving to another target array...reloading... waiting on a swinger...

Basically the way to improve your times lies in practice and probably getting some GREAT coaching.. it doesn't take much but someone with a good eye can help you be aware of what you need to do to improve your times...

Have fun....

I need to work on my speed some as well . The unfortunate downfall of shooting IDPA and being more accuracy focused . I'm new to Uspsa this year so I'm sure I'm going to take quite a few beatings until I can get somewhat up to par !

You might find yourself doing OK at the USPSA matches if your shooting is accurate and not pushed for speed (but not any slower than seeing what you need to see), and you do everything else quickly, like movement from position to position, reloads, draws.

When I try to speed up my shooting, that's when I tend to get more penalties. When I keep the shooting within my ability and do all non-shooting stuff as snappily as I can, I do better.

I am still just an amatuer, a newb, etc but when I first started I thought I had to have close to a perfect sight picture. I had never tried to really shoot fast and when I did I was still slow cause I had to make sure my sights were lined up like I was always taught. After reading here and a couple books I found out that is doesn't need to be perfect and was advised to experiment at different distances how much I could get by with. Enos' book touched on that and then Ben Stoeger's book had Skills and Drills had a great description of seeing an outline of the gun on the target @ 3yds, the front sight on the target @ 5 yds, the front sight somewhere within the notch @ 7yds or maybe 10, can't remember, and a better alignment @ 15 yds with 15 being the transition zone between target focus and from there on out front sight focus for more precise aiming.

Those realizations really helped me move past perfect, especially once I went out and proved to myself that hits are possible even when things aren't lined up.

You may be there already and still trying to get more speed but that was a big hurdle for me. Now I feel like I can make more progress on speed with tips on tight grips, recoil control, etc.

If you can shoot accurately, you probably know how to call shots.

Having a high hit factor is about calling shots in a small amount of time, which is not quite the same as shooting fast. When people are shooting close to their limit, they often have the sensation of not shooting particularly fast. That's because their concentration is on calling the shots and getting on to the next thing - in a small amount of time.

It can be helpful to consciously practice shooting fast to get the mechanical feel of it, but concentrating on speed in matches is likely to result in bad hits.

At any given point in your development, hit factor is going to be highest if you get your concentration properly focused to carve away all the additional time outside of what is needed to place and call the hits within your mechanical ability.

The feeling of going fast comes from seeing less than what you need to see to call shots. Your best HF comes from seeing only what you need to see to make good calls as soon as possible. If you can learn to push hard to good calls on all shots, you will be able to shoot very close to the limit of your ability. Then all you need to do is develop better mechanics.

Kind of eye opening for me, best I can do is right at 0.20 (senior now & never accused of being quick) which is not any different from my split time for alphas at an up close target (5 yard Bill drill for example).

I always assumed that I was waiting on a sight picture instead of pulling the trigger as fast as I could.

.2 splits or a . 2 draw!!!!!

A guy I shot with today is gonna hook me up with his old GoPro so I'll be able to analyze my shooting and get better!

Are you trying to work on your shooting speed or your movement speed? Or both?

Damn, I feel slow. Half your age and I think the best splits I've ever pulled just shooting into a berm are ~.18ish.

.2 splits or a . 2 draw!!!!!

A .2 draw would be something !!

I am still just an amatuer, a newb, etc but when I first started I thought I had to have close to a perfect sight picture. I had never tried to really shoot fast and when I did I was still slow cause I had to make sure my sights were lined up like I was always taught. After reading here and a couple books I found out that is doesn't need to be perfect and was advised to experiment at different distances how much I could get by with. Enos' book touched on that and then Ben Stoeger's book had Skills and Drills had a great description of seeing an outline of the gun on the target @ 3yds, the front sight on the target @ 5 yds, the front sight somewhere within the notch @ 7yds or maybe 10, can't remember, and a better alignment @ 15 yds with 15 being the transition zone between target focus and from there on out front sight focus for more precise aiming.

Those realizations really helped me move past perfect, especially once I went out and proved to myself that hits are possible even when things aren't lined up.

You may be there already and still trying to get more speed but that was a big hurdle for me. Now I feel like I can make more progress on speed with tips on tight grips, recoil control, etc.

Something that is a work in progress for me, is to always incorporate this type of thinking into the stage walk through and rehearsal process.

I neglected to do this a couple weeks ago and shot all alpha's on a very easy stage (first shooter on that stage), which seemed like a good thing until the other shooters times were read. I think just recognition alone would have made a nice improvement in my result.

When I do this correctly I think it helps me go the correct speed for each target, and it keeps the guy in the back of my mind from worrying about a marginal sight picture on the very easy targets when I'm shooting.

Time everything

Par times on dry fire

Push each drill for time and fight to get A's or close C's

Don't shoot unless you're being timed.

Shove any accuracy you can my way

Did you feel anymore accurate at your last match? I don't know who got it, but I gave all my accuracy to someone, cuz I couldn't hit steel if you had put it 4 feet in front of me. All steel stage, 24 round perfect run. Took me 51 rounds (every mag was empty by the time I was done.) Stull left 3 targets standing. Yeah, no good 49th overall out of 63. It's ok, I still had fun.

Speed+accuracy is an ever-evolving series of re-visitations to the fundamentals. I came into the matches a year ago with decent accuracy, but slow, and had peaks and valleys as I tried to stay accurate within increasing speed.

The best thing I've done to improve is daily dry fire along with the steady routine of matches. This lets you do things faster without trying to be faster in the moment; things you once considered fast are now normal.

• 4 weeks later...

If your accurate then maybe your shooting speed isn't as big of a problem as what your doing when your not shooting. (Reloads, Movement) If you can I would try video taping yourself because in the middle of a match we all feel like we are going fast. You can review the match tapes and see what's slowing your times down and improve on those areas.