Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being accurate, but not fast

nahanshew89

I think this is where using a timer in practice is very important. Set up 3-5 targets and shoot 3 strings with 2 rounds each at your normal "accurate speed". Take the average time (your par time) and then shoot the targets again with the goal in mind to push yourself to go faster and reducing your time by 1-2 seconds. Once you reach this goal with reasonable accuracy, shoot them until you can reduce your time by another second. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On July 15, 2016 at 9:53 PM, GetAwayDriva said:

Working on speed drills like Bill Drills and changing your thought process during the stage and stage planning will give you the speed you are looking for.

What thought process are you changing during the stage and stage planning?

Bill drill. Incredibly eye opening for me as I have always shot quickly and instinctively but would make silly errors(mikes) when I really pushed the speed.  Also filming yourself or having someone else film you in a match seems to help as you get to see where you are dropping time through body mechanics, pausing, etc.   I also practice target transitions on real targets in my basement with a SIRT pistol using the PAR function on my timer.

• 4 weeks later...

There are some great suggestions in this thread for dry and live fire practice.  I would like to add my two cents worth that came to me in an observation when, in my younger days, was trying to decrease my half marathon and marathon finish times.  Someone told me one day that in order to be fast I had to run faster.  I looked at him like he was an idiot at first but then thought about it and realized what he said was pretty profound.  You must shift your focus from accuracy to speed if you ever want to get faster.  I don't mean to imply that getting A zone hits is not important but getting accurate hits at the expense of time gets counter productive very quickly.  I found that I quickly reached a plateau in my scores until I just started pushing the speed envelope.  This adversely affected my scores at first but later on the accuracy caught up because the subconscious mind is much faster than the conscious mind.  Your subconscious mind will start to see your sights and bring you back onto target as you force yourself to go faster in your practice drills.  If you want to be fast you have to go faster. 

• 2 weeks later...