Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

25 Yard Group From a Glock

NateTSU

What kind of accuracy can you expect from a glock 34 from sandbags at 25yards? I have recently started shooting groups at 15 20 and 25 yards but not sure if it's me the ammunition or the pistol. My guess is the shooter is the issue and then the loads could use some tweaking.

3"-4" with factory ammo.

Might be able to get into the 2" area if you're using hand loads tuned to that gun. Of course, Glock tolerances vary quite a bit from gun to gun as far as barrel fit. Your particular gun may do a bit better, might do a bit worse.

Edited by bruceg

The ammo can make a big difference. I've found that if I use bullets with .355 diameter (jacketed, plated, or whatever) in my reloads, my groups are not great, like maybe 2 or 3in at 10 yards, best case scenario.

However, using Xtreme 9mm 147 grain bullets of diameter .356, my groups tighten up considerably when using a stock Glock barrel. By this I mean that I can shoot nearly one ragged hole offhand at 10 yards. And I'm not even a good shot. I've heard several other Glock shooters make similar comments about having much better luck with .356 bullets in their stock barrels.

I have a G34 Gen4 with a KKM drop in barrel (which fit perfect-tight but no fitting required). It was shooting around 2" at 25 yds. with some of my reloads. Then I just happened to try 115 Zero C over 5.4 gr. Autocomp 1.12 oal Federal 100 primers and got several groups just under 1.0" at 25 yds. I also tried the same load with 5.2 gr Autocomp and also got several groups just under 1.0" at 25 yds all from a bench rest. Not all my groups were 1" some were a little more. This Glock is grouping almost as good as my Wilson 1911.

Years ago we did some testing with Glocks up at the Apple Valley gun club after the Bullseye shooters put in a Ranson rest. It was bolted to a 2 foot diameter concrete base, really nice. I had to buy the grip adapters, but the results were interesting. We used hand loaded 125 Montana Gold JHPs on top of 3.5 grains of TiteGroup at 1.155" OAL. At 25 yards the two OEM barrels held 2" and smaller groups for 6 shots, and my two hand fitted BarStos held 1.3" or less.

Years ago we did some testing with Glocks up at the Apple Valley gun club after the Bullseye shooters put in a Ranson rest. It was bolted to a 2 foot diameter concrete base, really nice. I had to buy the grip adapters, but the results were interesting. We used hand loaded 125 Montana Gold JHPs on top of 3.5 grains of TiteGroup at 1.155" OAL. At 25 yards the two OEM barrels held 2" and smaller groups for 6 shots, and my two hand fitted BarStos held 1.3" or less.

Wow those are some impressive groups, have read some other threads and am going to go over my reloads. Current load is a 124 xtreme plated over power pistol, cci primer and mixed range pickup brass. Goin to try less crimp and a ladder test for powder. Also more and more dry fire practice.

My 17 will do 1.5 at 25. It out shoots a $2,700 3 gun pistol (needs a load worked up). The 2011 has the better trigger that the Glock can't. The trick to the Glock is the trigger control. I carry a 17 everyday at work, and I still have to concentrate on the trigger control for the accuracy, even after 21 years. The 2011 does not need that type of trigger control concentration for the accurate shots for me. If you are getting 3" to 4" groups at 10 yards, I would bet that it is associated with trigger control, but it could be the ammo. When folks I work with go to qualify with the issued guns, and they don't shoot well, the excuse is always that the sights are off. How many fellow LEO have heard that one before. Glocks will normally provide more than adequate accuracy out of the box. If you want more, drop in a match grade tube. Ammo does play a factor in the accuracy, decent ammo will do what is needed.

My Glock 35 & 34 with KKM barrels both shoot more accurately than my .45s. Here are 5 shot groups shot at 50' free hand:

G34:

412047424.jpg

G35:

412047423.jpg

25 yard groups are 1-1/4" off a rest and 50 yard groups are sub 2". Sorry can't find pictures of those groups.

Well I got to the range today after work and did some group shooting. I had a load of 3.6 grains of red dot and a 125grain coated lead flat point and another load of 4.8 grains of power pistol with a 125grain Xtreme plated, all with mixed brass and CCI primers. My best group was 1.5" at 15 yards with the coated load and 8 inches with the plated bullet load. I did not have access to a 25 yard range today.these groups were not shot from a rest. I need to figure out a load for the plated bullets, have 1400 more sitting on my loading bench.

Edited by NateTSU

Well I pulled a few loaded rounds and I think I am over crimping, the bullets had a visible ring around them where they were crimped. So I backes off my crimp and am going to do a ladder test with power pistol. If the weather is nice I am going to get back to the range tomorrow morning and shoot some groups again.

Edited by NateTSU

I have a question. What size are those bullets (.355, .356??)? I just started into Glocks right at the end of the season, so at that time I was just using my plated loads. They shoot ok for me, but I would like to move to coated, and I have seen sizes from .355 to .357 as touted the best...

Well I got to the range Friday after work, my best group of 5shots off hand were 1.5" at 10yards and around 5" at 25 yards. I wasn't able to shoot off a rest because it was an indoor range. I think the 25 yard group was opened up because of me. I haven't practed much at 25 but am adding it to my practice schedule.

Shot a local falling steel match this weekend and I had no trouble hitting 8"plates at 20 yards when I did my part of of course.

• 1 month later...

My Glock 35 & 34 with KKM barrels both shoot more accurately than my .45s. Here are 5 shot groups shot at 50' free hand:

G34:

412047424.jpg

G35:

412047423.jpg

25 yard groups are 1-1/4" off a rest and 50 yard groups are sub 2". Sorry can't find pictures of those groups.

Interesting... I never realized KKM barrels were that much more accurate. Do you have to fit them to your Glock or are they drop in?