Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Double Duty Open/Defense pistol?

Rudukai13

Why not a modified gun exactly like the one above? For shooting in open, get yourself a big stick and you will get 25-26 rounds of 40. For shooting at baddies, a 140 (or even 126 for that matter) should provide more than enough bullets for anything that might come up, all while being small and compact and having the provision for a light or laser..

And, if you get it in multicam you will look like a real badass.

(I admit, I really really love modified guns. I think they have to be one of the coolest feats of firearms engineering out there)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gooldylocks, I definitely share your love for the Modified division pistols! I think something built very similarly to a Modified division pistol would be the way to go for this, but you wouldn't need to make all the oddly angled cuts, since Open doesn't have any box to fit into - The only thing that would limit the overall size of the pistol would be keeping it manageable for practical use.

That's effectively what STI has produced with the new Costa Carry Comp (pic attached). It's a full-size 2011, with the slide cut down to about four inches and a one inch long compensator fitted flush to the front of the dust cover. They've included a full length picatinny rail for lights/lasers, and it would only be a matter of drilling and tapping the frame to mount up a mini optic.

If it weren't for the cost, it'd be a no-brainer to me to get one when they come out. But alas, I won't have the money for one at any point in the foreseeable future...

post-58692-0-66105400-1455291617_thumb.j

Edited by Rudukai13

Has anyone seen prices listed for those yet? Last I looked they still weren't on the website but the new DVC's are on there...

You could call them and see if they could make one of those without sight cuts, and instead drill the frame for an optic. Then you just get the mini dot of your choice on the mount of your choice.

That's probably a very expensive proposition though.

Carry comps are certainly not new, I wonder why STI is doing this now? What's old is new again, I guess.

I had one of the original S&W Performance Center .357 revolvers when they first introduced them. Shot tons of hunting/defense loads through it, great gun. Could not imagine shooting it in a car, house, or confined space as a defensive weapon though. Blast was significant.

A lot of factors to realize before you go out and build a open gun for home defense. #1 Will be the litigation that will, and I did say will come from using this type of weapon in a gun fight. It will cost in court, but hopefully you will be alive to be sued by the thugs family. I am not disagreeing that a good open gun would be a deadly combo, but it will cost. #2 is the blast. The blast can be good and bad. Good if the bad guy grabs your muzzle and you get a round off, they will let go with what ever part of the hand is left, also makes for good Identification if they get away, and the bad is the night vision, it will be diminished by the blast. #3 As for the sound, you will only hear a pop with the adrenaline dump, later is when you may notice the damage to your hearing. #4 Turning on the sight, hope you have time. If you don't train that way, and the adrenaline kicks in, and it will, your fine motor skills will be lost. #5 Ammo to make the open gun operate, goes back to litigation. Some open guns will run on lower power factor ammo and some won't. You are talking about your life, or worst your families lives are on the line.

Unless you train for it day in and day out, your fine motor skills will diminished at the most important time that you will need them. Keep the open gun for the game and have the simplest gun to operate for saving your life. Even though you would have the simplest gun, you still need to train with it as well. I don't know your back round or skill level , but I have been besides professionals that could qualify with the top scores every time, and when the S.H.T.F. , they got flustered to put it mildly.

Just some thoughts, and surely not telling you what to do by any stretch. The world is changing every minute we take a new breath, keep breathing and be safe to live another day, and don't give up the fight !

Kingman, I'd still prefer using a frame-mount for the optic, just personal preference. Does anyone know if using a frame-mount would make the rail useless? Would there be enough clearance for the mount and a light/laser module? That'd be my preference - The standard features of the STI CCC, in 9mm, with a frame-mounted MRDS, plus a light and laser combo under the rail. To me that would be the ultimate tactical/defense pistol that could also be used in competition.

I'm thinking USPSA might be a bit of a stretch for this kind of build though - Perhaps the gun would be best suited in Steel Challenge Open division? That way you're not losing potential points by using factory 9mm minor ammunition.

I've been thinking about this a bit more. Mostly the "dual role" requirement for me specifically would be a pistol that can shoot some competitions for fun, and otherwise just stay in my nightstand drawer...I'm beginning to think an STI Steelmaster may fill the role fairly well - Swap out the traditional C-More for a smaller optic, like the Leupold Deltapoint Pro, leave the grip safety active, and get a gunsmith to possibly tune the trigger to be slightly heavier, around 3ish pounds (ETA: Oops, just looked it up - sounds like factory STI triggers are at 3.5-4 pounds to begin with), and call it done...?

It would still be compact enough to be manageable in a defensive situation, while retaining a very distinctly Open pistol look, feel, and function...

Edited by Rudukai13

I'd like to quickly address anyone who may be reading through this thread thinking "Why spend several thousand dollars on a gun for defense when it could very well be confiscated for evidence if actually used for that purpose?" To that I would point to Wilson Combat, who makes a myriad of pistols in the $3k+ range specifically meant for defense and carry. It might not make sense to everyone, but in my mind at least, if I'm going to spend that much on a gun, I want to be able to do a lot more with it than have it sitting in a safe or on my hip - And I want to have the most amount of fun shooting it, which to me means a pistol with the attributes of an Open gun.

Think of what I'm wanting to do as similar to wanting a Wilson Combat 1911, just with a double-stack frame, an optic, and compensated...

Edited by Rudukai13

Spend the money and don't be cheap. Add a Trijicon so you don't have to turn the dot on and figure out some good ammo. My 9mm duty ammo is around a 152 power factor. Do remember that the STI high cap mags can not stand to be fully loaded for a extended time. Keep the springs changed out . There is a reason these types of guns never made it in the military.

Spend the money and don't be cheap. Add a Trijicon so you don't have to turn the dot on and figure out some good ammo. My 9mm duty ammo is around a 152 power factor. Do remember that the STI high cap mags can not stand to be fully loaded for a extended time. Keep the springs changed out . There is a reason these types of guns never made it in the military.

I'm right with you. Trijicon all the way.

I'm thinking in 9mm, load a factory 140mm with 20. Replace at 3 month intervals.

Doesn't the Deltapoint Pro have a motion sensor to activate the dot when the pistol's picked up? The Trijicon sights just have such a small window...

Yes. Both the old and new delta point has a motion sensor. When carried on your hip at a match taping, RO'ing, and shooting that amount of movement is enough to keep it on all day. My friend changes the batteries in his (that is on his open gun) once a year and says the dot isn't even getting dim after that long.

Here goes my indecisiveness - I'm considering that I've been thinking about this prospect from the wrong end of the spectrum. After considering what I actually truly would want this type of gun to fulfill, I'm realizing that it will spend much more time being used as just a fun range toy, and a night stand resident, than in competition. What I've been trying to determine so far is how to take a purpose-built competition gun and reduce some of the competition attributes to make it slightly more suitable for practical use. What I SHOULD be doing is starting with a true service pistol, something that has the attributes of a defensive pistol, and adding to it to make it somewhat more functional for competition...That being said;

My new proposal - Start with an XDm 5.25 in 9mm, already a competition-oriented pistol but much more based on the "service pistol" philosophy of use. So it's already got the practical/defense role fairly well filled. Add a Carver Custom optic mout, to satisfy my desire for a frame-mounted optic, put a Deltapoint Pro on top, which is built ruggedly and has the motion sensor to active when the pistol is picked up, plus a mag well, some magazine extensions, and possibly port the barrel (the slide on the 5.25 is already cut to make this an easier prospect), and call it done. I'd end up with a pistol that's functionally oriented towards defense, but has some of the competition attributes that will both make it more effective in competition and increase it's effectiveness in a defensive scenario. Plus, I wouldn't have to fiddle much with springs/trigger unless I really wanted to, hopefully preserving the reliability of the factory platform.

9mm for the capacity, lesser cost of factory ammo, and because the only competition I'd really be interested in would be steel matches, where power factor is less of an obstacle.

Thoughts?

Edited by Rudukai13