Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2016 ROCKCASTLE PRO AM 3 GUN CHAMPIONSHIP - OFFICIAL

A big thank you to Linda, the Nobles, Gary and everyone that put on the event.  This was my 3rd match in a row and this one ran smoother than ever from the schedule point of view.  Most stages were ahead of schedule and finished early in our case.  They have the best RO's with good judgment and always willing to help in any possible way to make the match safe but fun.  The stages looked very easy on Thursday on my walk through & I thought were very straight forward but when the beep went off I found them to be deceivingly challenging.

Also, I like having the Am randomly draw posted....thanks Linda!

Thanks to all the sponsors for the prize table!

Thanks Again for having a place to enjoy our sport!

Edited by Mike41

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep a great time. Thanks to Brownells, Rockcastle folks, RO's, and sponsors. Special thanks to Gary Wellborn for the excellent stages, each offered several different ways to shoot.  I am worn out, but already looking forward to next year. Thanks all, can only imagine the effort you folks have put in to make this match one of the best.

I really enjoyed this year's Pro-am. Had a great squad. Kind of reminded me of first couple years. Even Thursday night had a crowd of folks in the parking lot, Friday and Sat night were even better.

Every year has a time-out trap. this year had two.  Got to deal with quite a bit of mud, but the staff and shooters took it all in stride. Stages were typical with 100 sec par time. Two had slung rifles at start. 

Notes for next year's match. Bring more beer for Friday night so u don't have to go on a run. 

I had a very disappointing match last year when I blew out my knee on the very first stage but luckily I finished the match due to the great group of guys on my squad.  I almost said that last year would be my last Pro Am but I'm very glad I did not stay home for this one.  Once again I was able to see all my shooting buddies from Ohio and Kentucky and made a few new ones.  I really enjoyed all the stages even that damn Pro 4 one!  ?   I don't drive six hours for a prize table.  I come to this match to see old shooting friends once again, hopefully get tested by great stages, and of course enjoy some damn good Mexican food.  If I take something home nice then that's just a bonus. ?

What was everyone's favorite stage?  

I I liked the bay stage (AM 3)with all the plates and your choice of shotgun or pistol but had to use both guns.  A close 2nd was the AM 6.

I least liked the A on AM 7.

mike

Mike 41 -AM3 was my stage along with Ed , iv worked a number of Pro/am's but have to agree that was a great stage from the evil mind of Gary W !

Thanks to all the AM shooters who reset quick & made the stage a joy to work - see you all next year.

David

Edited by gunfighteruk
info

On 8/22/2016 at 9:26 PM, Blaster said:

Were you guys really there? The match goes way down each year with few shooters returning just new shooters each year

Had a long response typed up but deleted it all when I noticed that I couldn't find your name in the results for either the Pro or the Am for the last three years.

On 8/22/2016 at 9:26 PM, Blaster said:

14 hours ago, Blaster said:

I have done a post about the match after the match since 2013

Well sorry about that Charlie I was thrown off by the fake name in your profile.

Let me tell you what I saw on the pro side:

I saw stages challenging enough that they could definitely be shot clean, but it was a challenge to complete them and not time out.
Use your 100 seconds wisely.  (I had a few stages where I just barely squeaked in under par)

I saw an interesting mix of multi-gun stages that let the shooter decide how to shoot it, and decide between rifle/pistol on paper and shotgun/pistol on steel.

I saw incorporation of slung rifles, which is a practical skillset that as an RO at other matches, I have seen cause people fits trying to get their rifle into action.

I saw a nightlife unlike any other at any match I have ever been to, at the Lodge every evening.  What a great group of people.

Prize table was awesome.  Surgeon rifle certificate, US Optics scope!  Ton of other certificates and actual firearms.  Tons of stuff from magpul, safariland, oakley...  etc.  I would shoot these matches with no prize table.  Our sponsors are awesome.  Support them.  Brownells is my go-to supplier for gear and components now.  Because they support our sport.

No match is perfect.  If I am going to make any complaints I would say that the rifle steel in thunder valley needs to be refreshed.  Difficult to call hits.

The A-frame stage was a bit confusing, what exactly is a port?  A little spray paint could have remedied that.  I ate crap in the mud the day I shot Pro-8, but I know others had it worse than me.  That is part of natural terrain shooting!  What a fun test of guns, gear, skill, and stage planning.

My favorite stage was Pro-4:  I always complain about shooting slugs, but when I get to the actual match, slug stages usually wind up being my favorite.

If you have been coming since 2012 and you feel that the match is a little stale, maybe it is time to shoot the pro side.  The Am is geared towards newer shooters after all, and stages by necessity have to be a bit simpler.  

ETA:

Oh yeah, the food was excellent!  And the restaurant and hotel staff as well.  One poor gal accidentally unplugged the TV while we were watching the Mission 22 fundraiser UFC fight night, and I think she took us seriously when we started giving her a hard time!    The Tiki bar was a great addition as well. 

Edited by Vespid_Wasp
forgot the food.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2016‎/‎09‎/‎15 at 10:11 PM, Woody3025 said:

Had a great match and fun hanging out friends. Got a good draw off the random Am prize table was wondering if anybody else with a FFL item has received them yet.  

Email Janie at jpitcock@pmresort.us if you haven't been contacted for your FFL info yet.