Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Super comp major load data

Garmil

Posting this as a record for myself and some may find it interesting.

Worked up a major load today with. Aa#7, hs-6, and autocomp.

Tanfoglio

38 super comp

4.75" barrel

4 port comp no ports

1.245 oal

124 precision delta hp

Cci 500 spp

170pf for each

Aa#7. 9.4 grains

Hs-6. 8.2 grains

Autocomp 7.2 grains

Aa#7 felt softest in the hand

Muzzle rise comparable on all 3

No pressure signs on any primers

Autocomp produced the least case bulge

Edited by Garmil

Garmil, I own 9s and 38s, although no two set up exactly the same for a direct comparison, but I keep going back and forth on 38. I hate keeping track of the brass, but at least in theory, 38 should produce more gas with a bigger charge keeping the gun flatter. The trouble is when I see load data like yours, I have a Tanfo very similar to yours in 9mm, and I make I can also make ~170 PF with the loads you posted under a 115gr bullet. So with an identical charge of the same powder, I would imagine the gas volume to be the same and just from my experience comparing 100gr bullets to 115s I imagine it would be softer in the hand given the same comp/ports.

Now that EAA has some reasonably priced 6" barrels I'm really temped to build one identical to my 9 for comparison, but I'm changing to a 1050 and thinking of selling my 38 guns/dies/brass altogether.

You recently said the 38 is better than the 9, what types of comparisons have you done?

I don't recall saying 38 is better than 9.

I like working with the extra length the 38 has. May or may not be safer but I feel safer and see fewer pressure signs than when working with 9mm.

I also hate the brass problem with 38 and have been kicking around the idea of making my 9mm limited slide in to an open one.

Currently I shoot 9mm minor with the dot for practice

I like working with the extra length the 38 has. May or may not be safer but I feel safer and see fewer pressure signs than when working with 9mm.

I also hate the brass problem with 38 and have been kicking around the idea of making my 9mm limited slide in to an open one.

I got you mixed up with gennaro and now that I reread his comments, they're much more bullish on 9 than I remembered :)

As for the 9 major, it is not quite as flat as my 38 SC , but it's getting close. And I'm not done with it yet. I have some things that I'm trying out. I just need some time to R&D.

I got you mixed up with gennaro and now that I reread his comments, they're much more bullish on 9 than I remembered :)

As for the 9 major, it is not quite as flat as my 38 SC , but it's getting close. And I'm not done with it yet. I have some things that I'm trying out. I just need some time to R&D.

Let me clarify,

When I first started building Tanfoglio open guns in 9 major, I wasn't sure what to expect.

But for me, right out of the gate I liked the recoil impulse I was getting from the 9mm.

And now with the changes I'll be making to my 3rd generation 9major build , I believe I'll be able to get it to run and feel just like the guns I build in 38SC.

And all of this of course is only my own personal preference.

I'm not trying to start any disagreements here between 9mm and 38SC shooters.

Choose whatever you want or whatever feels good in your own hands.

Whether it's 9 or 38, it does not matter. Enjoy it and have fun. :cheers:

Best of luck.

Edited by gennaro

I like them both.

Enjoy switching back and forth between the two, trying different configurations,

and accidentally discovering a combination that feels good.

Maybe some day I'll sell a few, but for now I'm liking the options.

Best of luck.

Garmil, I own 9s and 38s, although no two set up exactly the same for a direct comparison, but I keep going back and forth on 38. I hate keeping track of the brass, but at least in theory, 38 should produce more gas with a bigger charge keeping the gun flatter.

Yup, I agree almost exactly. I like my 38 better than my 9mm in terms of recoil impulse & overall feel, but I hate picking up the brass, so I'm only shooting the 9mm in local matches this season.

Garmil, I don't have a Tanfoglio. Custom STI open gun here. 5" barrel with no ports. Shooting 124 Rainiers at 1.234 oal But I found I could go all the way down to 8.1 of HS-6 with the Rainiers because they are softer than jacketed bullets. 170pf here too. I don't really like Autocomp but I do have a few pounds of it tucked away in the closet so I could possibly try it, if only for educational purposes. :)

Edited by Chris Keen