Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ultra lightweight rifle build

Nathanb

Figured some of you here would like to see this. I recently got my wife out to the range for the first ever and she got bit by the ar bug. Her one gripe was that it was too heavy and wasn't as fun just sitting at the table because she couldn't lug one of my rifles around. Well the light went on and I started looking into lightweight builds. There is a whole new world out there when it comes to this venue. One that is not cheap and one that I took as a challenge to build the lightest no junk gun I could. No polymer recovers or polymer anywhere I could help it. This is what I ended up with for a parts lisT

f5574329dafcdb8b711e7fdc2217db06_zpsdqrm

Here's the parts list

2a armament balios lite receivers

2a armament mlok rail and barrel nut

2a armament t3 titanium compensator

2a armament titanium gas block

2a armament regulated bolt carrier group

Magpul miad grip

Mission first tactical battlefield minimalist stock

kak industries adjustable buffer and spring

Faxon pencil barrel

Seekins mid length gas tube

V7 buffer tube

V7 lightweight castle nut

V7 titanium catch plate

V7 titanium safety

V7 titanium mag catch

V7 bolt release

V7 takedown pins

V7 titanium buffer detent

V7 ultralight port door

V7 charging handle

Alg act trigger

And inbound is a Trijicon Mro not sure if that stays or an rmr with Adm mount goes on it

If my math is right it's 4lbs 1 oz as it sits. I have to weigh it to be sure.

Anyone else tried this approach?

The mro and mount is 6 ounces. It's looking at 4 lbs 7 ounces dry. If I do the rmr it's 4lbs 5 oz

I haven't come across one lighter that didn't use polymer receivers or do anything crazy to the rails etc. there are a few things I could do to cut an ounce or two but at this point why?

Wow. My 9 year old and I are almost finished with a 5lb 6oz (with Vortex Sparc) rifle for him, and I thought that was crazy light. 4lbs is insane. I feel better when I compare my $ to weight loss ratio to yours though. Let us know how it shoots!

I just finished this a couple of weeks ago:

ULW_zpstrvyjehw.jpg

Lightweight20AR15_zpsi6e4tcft.jpg

Weight is an honest 6lb 7oz ready to go with an Aimpoint ML3/rubber cover, LaRue Mount, and an empty Troy 30-round magazine. Without the accessories, the bare rifle runs about 5lb 6oz. Specification:

• Sun Devil billet lower receiver
  • Gibbz Arms side charging billet upper receiver
  • Mission First Minimalist stock & G27 grip
  • AP Custom Gen 1 Ultralight handguard
  • Voodoo Innovations Ultralight 14.5" Midlength barrel
  • Sentry 6 gas block
  • Fortis RED brake (permanently attached)
  • JP LMOS/CAR buffer with weights removed

I could probably have shaved a bit more weight with a forged receiver set, but I like the side charging upper and I have several billet lowers from prize tables.

The rifle is quick handling and surprisingly soft/flat shooting. If I can get enough horsepower to activate steel targets at distance, I may even run it at the USPSA MultiGun National :devil:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

I have not yet. I actually don't own a scale capable of it and it would only be to satisfy my curiousity. Since the companies I purchased stuff from like 2a and v7 specialize in lightweight parts they list the weights for everything. I should get it out to the range today.

I built a 5.1# rifle 2 years ago with a Voodoo 16" ultra light weight barrel & bcg. Felt great in the hands, but didn't want to settle down after the first shot. I always had the sensation of it moving when I looked through the glass. I swapped to a Nordic 18" barrel, & it feels just right now. Yours is crazy light for sure. I had around $900 in mine, minus the optics.

I got mine out Saturday and was highly impressed with the way it shot. Very light handling of course and the gun barely moves. I still need to tune the gas system a bit so I can probably get it a little flatter and softer. I was a little apprehensive with what the recoil was going to be being so light but that worry is gone

Did you get the barrel warm/hot and shoot some groups? Rumor has it those thin barrels wander once warm.

I've got a light build in progress with a F1 receiver. Want to go pinned 14.5" ultralight now that Jp is coming out with a two peice clamp on gas block, but I'm concerned about the light profile barrel accuracy

Surprisingly manageable. It's ridiculously cold right now but I need to zero the optic so I'll take some video when I do. I was expecting it to be worse than it was but it barely moves and I still need to tune the gas

Surprisingly manageable. It's ridiculously cold right now but I need to zero the optic so I'll take some video when I do. I was expecting it to be worse than it was but it barely moves and I still need to tune the gas

I'm doing a new 3 Gun build and in addition to trying to lightening things up a bit by trying a Proof Research barrel, I'v been looking at the 2A Armament RBC. I'm curious how you like the RBC and how it works under match conditions?

I'm about to order a SLC Ti adjustable gas block and saw this 2A RBC. Now I'm unsure what to do.

I was thinking JP Ultra Lite BCG and an SLR Ti adjustable gas block. Now I'm leaning toward the 2A RBC.

Edited by Willz

• 3 weeks later...

I built a lightweight SBR for my wife. It comes in at about 77 oz minus optic and magazine. I didn't want to sink a lot of money into it because she won't get much use out of it.

I tried to stay pretty mainstream too. No lightweight materials; just picked all lightweight, off the shelf components. Standard forged lower, slick sided upper (no forward assist or dust cover), ALG Mlok rail, Aim Surplus lightweight BCG, Radical Firearms 10.5" stainless barrel, MFT BMS stock and carbine buffer without the weights, and an adjustable gas block. She wanted it to be compact, and hates comp/brakes, so I just put on an aluminum thread protector.

It shoots fairly well for not being compensated, softer than a regular carbine. I could tune the gas block a little better, but wanted it to be totally reliable with any ammo, so I tuned it with the softest ammo I have --about 132 PF.

We initially put an Aimpoint PRO on it because she wanted a big tube, but I'm trying to sell her on an Aimpoint micro or Trijicon MRO.