Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Spartan Race or Similar Training

PKT1106

I am signed up for the Spartan Sprint in Ohio the first weekend in May. For the last few weeks, I have tweaked my workouts to include all the bodyweight stuff they put in their WODs (burpees, box jumps, mountain climbers, bear crawls, etc).

Has anyone who has trained this way comment about differences in your movement and shooting before and after? I figure people who do Crossfit are probably in the same realm of potential shooting improvement.

Thanks

Well I'm currently training for a titan's race in Puerto Rico and I have seen improvement in my overall physical condition, in fact at the end of the match you pretty much have enough energy to go on, other things are the way you move thru the stages seems more faster and effortless. That's my experience.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Well I'm currently training for a titan's race in Puerto Rico and I have seen improvement in my overall physical condition, in fact at the end of the match you pretty much have enough energy to go on, other things are the way you move thru the stages seems more faster and effortless. That's my experience.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Are you doing plyometric exercises or sprint/quick footwork drills as well?

• 1 year later...

Having run over a dozen OCR's since 2014, I can certainly see how the workouts would benefit match shooting.

The WOD's aren't about making you a hulk-sized person, but rather making you more mobile, agile, while adding strength. From what I see with match shooting, you need to be mobile while attacking a course. Plus you do need a level of basic fitness to handle the gun and the hard/fast movement.

If you're enjoying the Spartan WOD's, then keep at it. They'll help your overall fitness and lifestyle, while doing nothing negative for your match shooting.

But that's just my opinion.

• 1 month later...

Little late...sorry for not answering Sooner, but yes, I'm doing all sorts of excercises regarding footwork working in combined sets pushing cardio at it's max, while you run through the obstacles you need a lot of power, agility and longetivity to last till the finish line. I've included running drills, soccer agility drills and at some point I've bought a bodyweight routine from mountain tactical, it's hard but very good. Lately I'm thinking to buy a drill ladder to work some footwork, and cones to mimic the constant changes in terrain, I think it will benefit in the shooting area, regarding footwork in the scenarios.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

If you have a place to do agility drills and have a gun in your hand then why not incorporate both?  Agility drills with getting sights on target fast.  Knock out two birds with one stone so to speak.

Any physical training that puts you in better shape is good and will help.  Agility is probably the biggest factor in physical movement for competition.  Ive seen some big ole boys who couldn't run 400 meters be the fastest on the stage.  They can move very quickly in short bursts.

Edited by Stickman301