Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bill Drill Help

killflash

I haven't tried it, but I've read here at BE of excellent shooters (that's

why I haven't tried it, yet) shooting Bill Drills out to 25 yards  ....    :bow:

Of course, they didn't START out at 25 yards - must have worked

their way out.    :) 

On 5/16/2017 at 8:01 PM, tdp88 said:

When starting out on Bill Drills, what distance should I shoot from, 7 yards? Should it stay there, or move further as shots get tighter?

The OG Bill Drill is shot at 7 yards. All A's in 2 seconds is goal. When you can do that consistently, then start move the target to 10 yards, and so on. Eventually my goal was to shoot all A's in 2 seconds at 15 yards, cold turkey. Or in other words, all A's in 2 seconds for the first 6 shots of the practice session. That's tough. Only did it once I think.

• 4 weeks later...

I like to train with my focus on one part of the drill and do the rest subconscious.

I run the bill drill and focus on the front sight and let the speed just happen.  This is a way I practice getting better at tracking the sight.

I will also do a bill drill with focus on the draw and shooting as fast as I can. This helps me learn to pull the trigger faster.

Subconsciously im still doing everything I should. The most important thing is to determine what you are trying to accomplish with your drill and only judge that one thing.

• 2 months later...
On 5/18/2017 at 2:11 PM, benos said:

The OG Bill Drill is shot at 7 yards. All A's in 2 seconds is goal. When you can do that consistently, then start move the target to 10 yards, and so on. Eventually my goal was to shoot all A's in 2 seconds at 15 yards, cold turkey. Or in other words, all A's in 2 seconds for the first 6 shots of the practice session. That's tough. Only did it once I think.

Cold turkey is a true reflection of your current skill level as BE has pointed out.  Hopefully we all get more consistent,faster, and so forth as the practice session carries on, but a more true measurement of improvement is where your "start point" times/hits are.  Definitely a reason to keep a log book!

Bob Stoeger recommends starting at 3 yards with a 1.7s goal, then 5 yards with a 1.8s goal, then out to 7 yards with a 2s goal (1 second draw, and 0.2s splits). This is always assuming Alphas at each distance.

3 yards seems awfully close to me!!!

3 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

Bob Stoeger recommends starting at 3 yards with a 1.7s goal, then 5 yards with a 1.8s goal, then out to 7 yards with a 2s goal (1 second draw, and 0.2s splits). This is always assuming Alphas at each distance.

I love his music.

3 hours ago, Doublehelix said:

Shooting at 3 yards virtually eliminates the accuracy requirements; requiring you to focus on grip, draw, and trigger pull.

On 08/21/2017 at 0:02 PM, superluckycat said:

I love his music.

Lol.

Me too.

Favorite was that song about liberals;  "Get out of Denver".

His bro Ben is pretty good on the 9mm hand harp too.

• 2 months later...

I typically don't shoot USPSA. 95% 3 gun. I shot bill drills today just to see if I could. 

1st one cold was a 3.94 total with first shot at 1.96.  Eesh. All A's though. 

Average splits @ .39 sec.  

oh yea. SW M&P 5"  gen 1.  147 grn 

Edited by rondog

Today I was doing them at 15 yards. 2.4 was a consistent all A hit time for a 15yrd bill drill. For the traditional 7 yard, at 1:19 in the video I do it in like 1.8something. That's about my best in Production stuff for a 7 yard bill drill.

Ignore the other stuff that's mostly focused on doing a 4Aces and my reload.

Edited by rowdyb