Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Copied caddies again ?

He used the word "loosing" because English ISN'T his native language. He is Finnish, as in Finland, and it seems that he is the King from the web name. So before you make fun of him, we now demand that you type up your reply in Finnish and make sure you don't miss spell any of the words. If you can do that, you can then make fun of him, but be respectful, after all he might be the King.

He used the made up word "loosing" rather than the real and appropriate word losing. Thus the seller is not to be trusted, quite possibly a communist or even worse, a Justin Bieber groupie.

Notice they're in Finland?

Few of the top shooters at the last world shoot ran them.

Settle down, I see that spelling on here everyday from English speaking members. It actually seems that a lot of our non-American members have a better command of the language than the natives.

Oh yeah, I have nothing useful to add about the caddies, so carry on as you where.

The King competition caddies are made and sold by Kim, who is the current IPSC standard manual world champion. Many of you may have marvelled at him shooting the Garcia load 12 drill in 7.27 with a pump.

I won't speculate whether these are the chicken or the egg but the vast majority of the Finnish team were using these rigs there back in September as Kurt will testify too.

In fact I still owe him a drink!

I can shed some light on this…..

I had been looking at using magnets for a very long time as no one’s caddy could compare to the smooth pull of the AP Customs Caddies. In fact I had mentioned to Aaron a long time ago to try putting magnets in his. The only problem is, that would take care of the top, not the bottom. Also, as most brass end are steel, but not all….magnets wouldn’t always work. So I had put this on back burner……until I saw what King had done. Using the plastic as a ‘clamp‘ to hold the column together……great idea!! The rest of the design…..IMHO had the issue that I mentioned above, in respect to where the magnet placement is. Also, I felt that it is overly complicated……that being said, the King holder is a VERY popular shell holder over in Europe and has a very smooth pull on the shells and holds steel ended shells very secure.

I knew that shotgun shell primers were steel so in the MG design, we used that to our advantage…..we don’t cover the primer completely with the magnet only half of it. I also did not want an overly complicated shell holder as that only drives the cost up and I’ve always wanted to produce a strong, useable product that will not cost an arm and a leg to the end user. I also wanted to have a little more forgiving holder on shell length, which is why we went with a rubber spring to clamp, rather than a hard stop that would need to be adjusted frequently.

There is no copy here…similar ideas maybe....there are lots of differences. In fact the only things that are similar is that both use magnets…..but placement is way different. Both ‘clamp’ the column of shells but in totally different ways….one design is screw adjusted for length difference, the other using a rubber spring to make up for differences in shell length. Advantages to both…..And possibly disadvantages to both…..but different. If you believe that there is a copy job done here……then ALL shell holder makers are guilty of it….cause the shell holders…..hold shells!!!

In the end….TACCOM came up with a shell holder that holds the top shell in place with a magnet, one magnet….any shot shell made on the market, and uses a rubber spring to push the column up. And…..only using 3 main parts, is not a complicated shell holder at all…..keeping the cost down on a shell holder that holds shells, yet allows for a easy grab……so easy in fact that women and juniors are finding out that with the QLAOD MG, they can QUALOAD!!

If you look in the engineering world…..ideas are always improved upon to make things better. If that were not the case, Henry Ford would not have come up with the Model A, what some may think was a copy of a Chevy or an Olds…..put it on an assembly line and made a car that people could afford. Didn’t see anyone complain about that…..cept maybe Chevy, Olds and maybe the Dodge Brothers..

Hats off the those guys in Finland……to any other shell holder maker out there, they all want to give you what they think you‘d like and they all want to put food on there tables as well.. You guys get to decide what best works for you. There is no one holder better than the other for everyone out there….and like Henry Ford basically making it so that you can choose a Ford, Chevy, Dodge, etc for your preferred automobile. You can also get to choose between IP, AP, CA, TACCOM, King, Etc. for your preferred shell holder.

Tim

TACCOM

Edited by TRUBL

In fact I still owe him a drink!

That could be a slippery slope my friend.. :)

Live by the sword, die by the sword!

I personally have rigs by King, Taccom and AP, and as Tim has pointed out they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I think a magnetic version of the 8 up would be good with the shells overlapping.

I personally have rigs by King, Taccom and AP, and as Tim has pointed out they all have their own strengths and weaknesses.

I think a magnetic version of the 8 up would be good with the shells overlapping.

got that already......that was another thing I wanted......rim overlap.

Oh boy I'll be putting another order in then!

Did the original MGs not overlap? Looks to me now that you could set the top clips up with one slightly higher than the other for grab and use the bottom clips for shell height?

Oh boy I'll be putting another order in then!

Did the original MGs not overlap? Looks to me now that you could set the top clips up with one slightly higher than the other for grab and use the bottom clips for shell height?

Very first gen was like that.....currently, you can offset the column overlap by up to a 1/4"

I will be trying out the Taccom magnet version , both 4 and 8, tomorrow at a 3gun side match at COPS. I will say these are the first quads I could actually grab and hang on to. Up until now, I could only grab two.

Craig

Seems a bit extreme to tag a company as copying for using similar materials. If that's the case, noone is allowed to use metal or plastics other than the first company to come out with caddies using those materials.

I hope the first company to release a duty holster with a hood on it sues everyone else who offers a hooded retention holster now! Or maybe holster hangers, or mag tubes, or magazine basepads/extensions, or scope mounts that have a forward offset. I wonder how pissed Remington/Para are that Rock Island is building a double stack steel framed 1911. I can't imagine all the companies who are in trouble for copying the AR15....especially when it comes to triggers, bolt carriers, adjustable gas blocks, ambi controls, charging handles, and side charging uppers!