Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any pro/top tier shooters use a Steyr pistol?

I was curious if any professional/Top Tier shooters in some of the more popular disciplines like 3gun, USPSA or IDPA use a Steyr pistol?

If not, why?

I would think the Steyr's attributes like low bore axis, great out of the box trigger and comfortable grip would be desirable in a competition pistol.

I do not know the answer to your question. However this is one of the most popular (if not the most) online forums for competitive shooters and in the Steyr section of the forum the last post before yours looks like it was in 2014. Im going to guess no.

Ive never shot a Steyr but have held one a couple times, felt pretty good but didnt interest me enough to buy one. They may be great pistols but I dont ever hear anyone talking about them.

I doubt it. I do know of one shooter on these boards who used his to make Master in Production.

Problems: little to no presence in marketing. Zero presence in competition support. After market support sparse. 4" barrels until the L model, which is now a whopping 4.5". The 17 Rd 9mm mags could be fitted with extensions but all other .40 & 9mm mags have retention tabs that point into the mag body. No adaptability options in grip.

These are nice plastic frame pistols. Ergonomics are really pretty good, trigger decent from box and reasonably improved with the delrin spring retainers from B-T. The bore axis is low. I still use mine in 3G and steel & IDPA and Production but there are better choices available.

• 3 years later...