Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should amateurs have to shoot against "pros"?

davidb72

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is not a day that goes by here is Florida when I'm driving my car beachside when I don't pass one or more cyclists all decked out in those cool colorful cycling jerseys & shoots .... I'm pretty sure not one of them is on the way to winning the Tour De France or joining the US Olympic cycling team ...

Yep, because no good cyclist in his right mind would ever live in florida, due to the humidity, cockroaches and lack of terrain features. :devil:
Pretty sure we have nice terrain features here if you know where to look ... :)

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

WOOO HOOOpost-57114-0-81521000-1455470507_thumb.j

There is not a day that goes by here is Florida when I'm driving my car beachside when I don't pass one or more cyclists all decked out in those cool colorful cycling jerseys & shoots .... I'm pretty sure not one of them is on the way to winning the Tour De France or joining the US Olympic cycling team ...

Yep, because no good cyclist in his right mind would ever live in florida, due to the humidity, cockroaches and lack of terrain features. :devil:
Pretty sure we have nice terrain features here if you know where to look ... :)attachicon.gifimage.jpg
WOOO HOOOattachicon.gifIMG_20160214_121836.jpg

There were some other "Florida terrain' pics which showed our ' unique tracks of land ' but I didn't want to get banned ... :)

My favorite thing about shooting major matches is shooting against the pros. I don't want a handicap. I want a clear line indicating where I stand compared to them. Whether it was competitive paintball back in the 90's and early 2000's, sanctioned racing during my college-aged years, or competitive shooting the last several years, I have always wanted to compete with the best and surround myself with those whom I could absorb knowledge and skills from. Surround yourself with the best, and soon you may be the best. Surround yourself with whiners and posers, and you'll end up a whiner and a poser. This doesn't apply to the new guy who first shot a gun last year, but to the folks on this forum who are serious about shooting, or at least strive to be.

I wear a Victory Motorcycle shirt when I ride. Hmmm I wonder if I can get Victory Motorcycles(Polaris) to sponsor me and pay for my gas, maintenance and well hell just give me a motorcycle to ride to the matches and buy all of my reloading stuff. They could call me pro, amateur, sponsored and whoever I shoot against can claim they beat me as I am a sponsored pro and I would even give some tips for free. :cheers:

Not everyone in a fancy shirt is a top level sponsored shooter.

They're not?

Nope!

http://techwearusa.com/techwear/

Any shooter can have a jersey, all it takes is money.

Those blouses look expensive - do the sponsors typically buy them for the pro shooters?

lol, that was a bit over the top. You had a pretty good troll going until then. well played. :cheers:

Not everyone in a fancy shirt is a top level sponsored shooter.

They're not?

Nope!

http://techwearusa.com/techwear/

Any shooter can have a jersey, all it takes is money.

Those blouses look expensive - do the sponsors typically buy them for the pro shooters?

I buy my own blouse and just tell everyone I'm a pro while I'm handing out my "pro" tips.

One of the things I like about shooting is there is the "pros versus joes" aspect. No one will let me on the same track as Rossi in a race but yet I potentially can be on the same squad as the "pros". Often a talented "joe" in any other sport will think to himself, 'i could beat him!', well in shooting you get your chance from day one. Think you're an amazing prodigy? Come out and prove it.

I'd love to turn a few laps with Rossi !

off topic, but i did the ttbc this near for the cota motogp race where rossi attended. it was pretty cool to be there with him!

Obviously it's not really safe for newbs and posers like us to be on the track at the same time as Rossi or other pro roadies, but I got the opportunity to run a national enduro on the same minute with many-time-champion mike lafferty. He's about the same amount faster and more consistent than me as Stoeger is.

Funny how it seems several of us transitioned into competitive shooting from motorcycling. I used to race hare scrambles.

Me and 4 others here in our little area. I raced in the "pro" TT class, also raced MX, hare scrambles, & Trials

Shooting is SAFER :roflol:

Edited by toothandnail

Some of us come from a racing background of the 4 wheel variety. I majored in motorsports technology (yes, that's a real major at a couple schools). Used to hang around a bunch of NHRA/IHRA sportsman racers. Worked on a Late Model circle track team for a short time. Now I race with guns.

Some of us come from a racing background of the 4 wheel variety. I majored in motorsports technology (yes, that's a real major at a couple schools). Used to hang around a bunch of NHRA/IHRA sportsman racers. Worked on a Late Model circle track team for a short time. Now I race with guns.

Me too.

What would be the downside for amateurs of shooting against professionals?

None. Could actually be beneficial.

But they should be scored separately.

Just become a "PRO" and quit your whinning. No more shooting against guys that are higher classifications than you.

Edited by JackinSD

Pro's already compete against each other. HOA or 1st GM is a huge difference.

Neither of those 'wins' takes away from the D class shooter.

In USPSA, at least you have a chance to 'win' your class. In IPSC, you either win, or are the 1st loser. No self-esteem medals in that sport.

IPSC award grades too. GM, M, A, B, C D as well as categories lady, senior, super senior, junior. Each of those gets a 1/2/3 medal and/or prize and that goes for for each division (assuming enough participants).