Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Stoeger M3K, which mag tube, Taccom -Xrail - Nordic?

Boxerglocker

I just purchased a new Stoeger M3K to replace my JM930 for the upcoming season. Can't decide on an extension Tube. I want to go 12 with this one. The Nordic and XRail I've had before on my Mossberg and of the two like the beefier XRail kit with their follower (had too many issues with the join of the Nordic, reason it was replaced with the Xrail) but it only comes in 10 max and would have to get the 2 inch extension as well. I've been looking around and see TACCOM came out with their EXTREME EXTENSIONS which I could get in a plus 8. The Taccom looks to be as hearty as the XRail but their kit doesn't come with a follower. Anyone have some experience with the Taccom tubes? If I went that route what follower should I go with?

Taccom still uses an adapter nut junction at the end of the factory length tube like the Nordic, but has modular extension segments beyond that. If you are trying to avoid that, the Xrail or Carbon Arms are what you are after. Both use a sleeve over a long main tube. I use the CarbonArms tube on the P3K Pat Kelley signature edition Stoeger, and it works well. The issue with Nordics usually stems from a concentricity problem on the adapter nut, rather than the tube itself. We use a threaded mandrel lathe fixture in the manufacture of our own proprietary adapter nut which ensures perfect concentricity between the two threads. This precludes this issue if you want to use a Nordic MXT style system with confidence. We have sold HUNDREDS of MXT extensions for Stoegers, and have had exactly two with follower hangup issues. One was caused by the end of the factory tube being egg-shaped from floor contact. The other had no bevel on the inside end of the tube, and the follower occasionally caught on the edge.

Taccom still uses an adapter nut junction at the end of the factory length tube like the Nordic, but has modular extension segments beyond that. If you are trying to avoid that, the Xrail or Carbon Arms are what you are after. Both use a sleeve over a long main tube. I use the CarbonArms tube on the P3K Pat Kelley signature edition Stoeger, and it works well. The issue with Nordics usually stems from a concentricity problem on the adapter nut, rather than the tube itself. We use a threaded mandrel lathe fixture in the manufacture of our own proprietary adapter nut which ensures perfect concentricity between the two threads. This precludes this issue if you want to use a Nordic MXT style system with confidence. We have sold HUNDREDS of MXT extensions for Stoegers, and have had exactly two with follower hangup issues. One was caused by the end of the factory tube being egg-shaped from floor contact. The other had no bevel on the inside end of the tube, and the follower occasionally caught on the edge.

Appreciate the insight, the Xrail or Carbon Arms monotube it's frankly a lot more than I am budgeting for, though I do see the design advantage. The more I think about it I believe that I'll just go with the Nordic kit through you folks at MOA and pick up one of your followers as well.

I was going to call you folks to ask if you had any of the TACCOM shotgun tube stabilizers in stock that I could add to my order? I read a post here stating that you folks used them on you builds and being this is a 8 plus tube think it would most likely be a good add on?

Edited by Boxerglocker

• 1 year later...

I bought a new Stoeger M3000 and ordered a one piece tube from Carbon Arms. It didn't fit. It was close but it just wouldn't screw in. I contacted Carbon arms by email as they would not return my phone call. A week later, they asked me to send a picture of the receiver end. I sent pictures and explained again that it didn't fit. Pictures, really? Then silence. I needed something so I got a Nordic extension and went with that. I sent the tube back and asked for a refund. They claimed that there was nothing wrong with it and that it fit their receivers just fine. I really don't like being called stupid or a liar so I consider them a pain in the @rse to deal with. I suppose it's possible that Stoeger may have changed their threads in new receivers. I don't know.

What I do know is that it's been a month now and I'm out $150.00 with no refund in sight.

Taccom and MOA both make great stuff and I have always been pleased, especially with Taccom.

I bought a new Stoeger M3000 and ordered a one piece tube from Carbon Arms. It didn't fit. It was close but it just wouldn't screw in. I contacted Carbon arms by email as they would not return my phone call. A week later, they asked me to send a picture of the receiver end. I sent pictures and explained again that it didn't fit. Pictures, really? Then silence. I needed something so I got a Nordic extension and went with that. I sent the tube back and asked for a refund. They claimed that there was nothing wrong with it and that it fit their receivers just fine. I really don't like being called stupid or a liar so I consider them a pain in the @rse to deal with. I suppose it's possible that Stoeger may have changed their threads in new receivers. I don't know.

What I do know is that it's been a month now and I'm out $150.00 with no refund in sight.

Taccom and MOA both make great stuff and I have always been pleased, especially with Taccom.

Sounds par for the course from what I know about the guy that runs carbon arms... I won't ever do business there. Especially when you have companies like Taccom, MOA, and Nordic.

Tom at MOA is a class guy. I had the pleasure talking shotguns with him when he shot the stage I was working at the SMM3gun match last month. Heck he even offered me a job at MOA because I told him I wanted to live in Grants Pass. Couldnt take the job because my wife won't let me work for a third of the money I make now. But that just tells me he's got low prices and great service.  As soon as I can get a M3K they will do my work. 

I put a taccom extreme on my M3K. I've used it in practice and and one competition and so far so good. Seems very strong to me but I haven't tried the other brands. I also got the MOA follower and so far I am a fan. 

Edited by MaddHatter

On 4/20/2017 at 3:11 PM, Steve RA said:

I've dealt with Carbon Arms in the past and had nothing but good service.  Haven't lately dealt with them but hope that the service and quality of products hasn't changed.

It has not Steve.  There was nothing wrong with Tromper's tube at all.  It was perfect on the thread gauge and in two M3000 receivers and Stoeger did not change anything.  Something is amiss for sure, but it is not the Carbon Arms tube.  Since he bought it several months ago, it take a little longer for the refund to go through our CC processor, and he had been notified of such.

Never called him stupid or a liar at all, that is a characterization he made up. 

• 4 weeks later...

Listen Mark, the tube you sent me was defective plain and simple. you just can't admit to making a mistake. Instead, you got an attitude. If you had been willing to send me an exchange tube I'm sure all this could have been easily cleared up. Rather, you wanted to play games by checking if I knew which end to screw in by asking for a picture and weeks of delays. That's insulting. After crummy customer service, a tube that didn't fit and no exchange, I have a right to a full refund - still haven't got it. You advertised a tube that would fit a Stoeger M3000 and it did not fit mine. That IS a warranty issue. I don't care how many you say it fit, or what your thread gauge indicates I'm only concerned with one receiver -  mine.

+1 for Taccom. His aluminum extension fit my Benelli perfectly and it's super strong. Tim is a great guy, always ready to help and really friendly.

Not even close.  The receivers from Stoeger have had some variation in their dimensions.  They are working on it to figure out what the problem is.  Fact is, an exchange tube, as I explained, would have been the same dimensions.  We hold our tolerances tight and thread gauge every tube.  You have a receiver that is not within spec.  The tube you returned was within spec, and the refund was issued.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
13 hours ago, biggair said:

PCKLST  how long is your barrel on your m3k?  Mine is 24" and I'm not sure how long of a tube I want because of the stick out?

I also have a M3K with a 24" barrel and an MOA +8 extension.  The tube is roughly 8" past the end of the barrel, 7" past the end of the choke, and it's about 53" overall length.

• 3 weeks later...