Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RF100: does anyone have one that actually works.

Ok, let me start by saying that, I bleed blue! I have 2-1050's a 650 a 550, 2- RF100's, a Super swage as well as every conceivable thing that Dillon makes. I have 2 RF100's. One set up for small primers and one set up for large primers! I spend more time trying to get 100 primers loaded than I do reloading. I can not get these things to load without primers flipping, primers getting stuck in the hole where they are supposed to drop down, getting hung up prior to entering the plastic crappy A or B cover plate. What a waste of time and money. I can hen peck the primers into the tubes faster than these vibrating garbage cans can load them. How does Dillon get away with selling these? Total disappointment!

Edited by Slotbike

I got 2x RF100

The small one will run anything but murom, I have at least 100.000+ winchester through it, and equal ammounts of federal, and S&B

The large one runs fed all day, magtech will need a small budge every now and then to keep going, and S&B once adjust runs ok, will fail to load 2-3-4 primers on the 2 min cycle, but no biggie.

so yes I love them.

Mine are on either floor, or a wobbley table, or loading desk, they are NOT picky.

They are finicky, if you change primer brands.

Usually the issue is moving things too far when trying to make adjustments. .005" change in position of the guides will make a difference.

I usually use a caliper to measure position before I make any change.

If you get really frustrated, I could use a second one :goof:

Sherwyn

The trouble I am having is with the one set up for large primers. I am running Winchester Large Pistol Primers and it is horrible! My other one (small primer) runs CCI with little issues! Sherwyn, I may just have two mint almost new ones for sale, if this continues, lol!

Edited by Slotbike

My RF100's are the new models, with the rheostats. I've seen socalpreppers video many times also. It may be the Winchester primers but the thing is driving me crazy. I load over 12 caliber's so when I load, I like to knock out 10,000 plus of a caliber at a time. If these RF's worked like they should, I would be loading instead of messing with the primer filler machine. I loaded 1000 rounds of .45 ACP today......if the primer fillers were working properly, I could have done 5000 today. Very unproductive day!

Edited by Slotbike

Hey Army dad,

I watched the second link you posted (I've seen it a few times) but I picked up on something that I never thought of. He said: The "B" plate is for magnum primers because they are a little taller??????? (I didn't know that) I wonder if that is the issue with the Winchester primers........being a little taller. Maybe I should try the "B" plate? What do you guys think? Anyone use Winchester LPP's and not have any issues?

it's worth a shot. I wish I knew more about primers. I'm new the to game and still figuring things out myself. :cheers:

I have the "B" plate in it. The guy in the video is wrong. The "B" plate is for large primers and I have it correct. I did just mess with the screw under the top that holds the little plastic adapter in. It is supposed to float and I backed the screw out but it's still flipping primers.

Edited by Slotbike

Couple of not in the manual of tips that helped me when I was starting out...put your RF on a mousepad...stretch the spring on he bottom to put more upward pressure on the tube....and clean your tubes. In any event, very happy with mine. Have only run Winchester through it.

funny I prefer having less spring pressure on the tube on my RF100. I find that Federals do flip, 1 in 200 usually, CCI never, S&B never and even the Chinese Dominion primers don't flip, although they do get hung up now and then at the tube or even at the entrance to the plastic plate. But not enough to really annoy me.

This easy fix solved my occasional flipping issues: Clean both the inside of the RF tube and the primer feed tube on the press. I do this by pushing a q-tip through with the primer rod from the press.

the RF is a great machine, unfortunately it can be a bear to get perfect. some of my hints...

-adjust things in very small movements

-the plastic A B guard adjustment is very important

-the top platform should be level or leaning forward toward you slightly

-move the rheostat to the point of barely moving the primers, then go faster in very small increments

-try dumping the primers with the big clear plastic top in place then once they are all in the platform remove it

-placing the RF on a mouse pad or Sierra Bullets placemat helps

-buffering the tube housing from the screw head with something rubbery will help, keep the inner tube contacting the red/blue piece thou

the notion that the RF is a piece of crap or a waste of money is wrong. it can be frustrating, but once it is set up and running it is a great time saver! No pecking at primer trays, no loading tubes with a vibrator, just dump a tray of primers in, turn it on, and go back to loading while it fills the tube automatically. Come back after loading 100 rounds and a new tube is ready to dump into the loader. NO time is spent loading tubes.

jj

They all have their moments, and one is more reliable with Win, the other - with the silver-colored ones (ANY silver primers!), and the third one handles the large primers quite well.

Maybe I am too philosophical a guy, but I don't cry over a couple of flips - I have a dedicated disassembly RCBS press right there, and I reuse all the components... it only takes seconds.

I spoke to Dillon, yesterday.....because one of my 1050's started spitting primers all over the place just as I past 4700 rounds of .45ACP. I have that press completely apart now and am cleaning and lubing it.

I spoke to them about the RF100. They told me to do a few adjustments, that I have already tried.......I guess it's trial and error. I'll work on them and report back, in a few days.

G