Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Report: Factory Bianchi Guns

RippinSVT

So a couple years ago I started down the path of becoming an AP shooter, having been an accuracy fanatic for some time, and somewhat less than enamored with the lack of basic marksmanship fundamentals I witnessed at local IDPA/USPSA matches. Like many, I started off in Production and milked what accuracy I could from a marginal platform (G34). It took a lot of handloading, but that ragged-out Glock would do 3" or better for 6 shots consistently at 50yards, however, I wanted to move on to a more conducive platform. As luck would have it, I bought an incredible custom Bianchi Open gun at a steal and have been enamored with its accuracy for the last year or so (.68" at 50 for 6, 1" the norm, 1.75" at 100yards!) Despite that gun's pedigree and world-class accuracy potential, I've always been an iron sight shooter at the core and yearned for a more visceral experience. Less Open-specific technique, more raw pistol marksmanship. Enter: the search for a Metallic gun.

At this time I had only shot Open and Production in matches, and wasn't real keen on building a ground-up Metallic gun given time constrictions and the large cost already incurred with 2 Production guns, an Open gun, my other shooting disciplines, and all the extra Bianchi bits (Aimpoint, Stickshift, mags, holsters, etc). The search was on, and many options explored from Sig to CZ to various 1911's. As it turned out, the STI TargetMaster was exactly what I wanted, although I had my reservations based on their penchant for speed over accuracy, and the mixed accuracy reviews I'd read or heard.

With a STRONG reservation about the purchase, I snagged an STI Targetmaster for a good deal and was happy to use much of my Open gear interchangeably. My reservations were unfounded. With the bull barrel, excellent sights, and 6" radius, my go-to (for Production gun) 9mm load was cutting 2" 50 yard groups consistently. After some OAL tweaking, it was doing 1.5", and now recently 1.19" at 50 yards for 6 shots. That's incredible to me, especially when 9mm is considerably more finicky in my experience than 45acp, 38Super, and 38special. 1.19" for a FACTORY gun, with iron sights, and ammo that wasn't necessarily tailored from the ground-up.

What's more? I got my hands on another 6" STI single-stack, this time a 6" Trojan 9mm (bushing barrel) that I procured for my father-in-law from another AP shooter. Using my load recipe, his first three 5-shot groups at 25 yards averaged better than an inch (.9" roughly), a feat he was unable to achieve with a half-dozen other high-end factory 9mm 1911's. That's a testament to STI's ability to build more than speed-blasters with cool bling.

In closing this long ramble, don't judge a book by its cover. Whodathunk the big name in factory doublestack speed rigs could produce a pistol fit for Bullseye or Bianchi. If you're looking for a turn-key Metallic gun that wouldn't hold back even the best shooters, they are worth a look and are a great bargain.

Keep them in the black,

Kyle

Disclaimer: I only wrote this because there isn't much info on the net about a suitable path forward from Production. I know, I looked at one point.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good info, Kyle. Although I have no desire to shoot Metallic or Production (Older eyes are my excuse), I do have an Open 9mm that I have been trying to get the hang of after shooting a revolver for years. How are you shooting those groups? Off a bench or Ransom rest? Do you mind sharing your 9mm load?

TIA and good luck with the new gun!

Edited by BaggerJoe

Good info, Kyle. Although I have no desire to shoot Metallic or Production (Older eyes are my excuse), I do have an Open 9mm that I have been trying to get the hang of after shooting a revolver for years. How are you shooting those groups? Off a bench or Ransom rest? Do you mind sharing your 9mm load?

TIA and good luck with the new gun!

I have a Ransom but haven't used it for these guns yet, prone pad gets in the way. I shoot slow-fire off bench/bags in good lighting, when I'm calm and warmed up. I also have 20/5 vision which is why I prefer Metallic currently, and I believe helps me shoot smaller benched groups than some guys who are undoubtedly better shooters than I. My Bianchi load is 3.7gr of Titegroup with a Federal SPP, matched high quality cases (Lapua, Starline, Speer, etc), and a 115r XTP, HAP, or Zero bullet. I tweak OAL for the gun which makes a HUGE difference (particularly with XTP's more so than Zeros, they have a slightly gentler ogive). Sweet spots for OAL tend to run 1.12-1.15", although the .9" 25yd groups from the Trojan were loaded 1.075" due to compatibility with some other chambers. One trick for group shooting is to shoot a target dot exactly the same width as your front sight is optically. I don't usually do this, but it can help a lot with sloppy windage fliers.

Great review! I have a Target Master on order that STI is very late on delivering. I've started training with my Sig 210-5 Heavy Target but hoping I get the STI very soon to get it broke in otherwise I'll shooting the Sig this year. The Aristocrate sights are what sets the STI apart in my opinion.

Great review! I have a Target Master on order that STI is very late on delivering. I've started training with my Sig 210-5 Heavy Target but hoping I get the STI very soon to get it broke in otherwise I'll shooting the Sig this year. The Aristocrate sights are what sets the STI apart in my opinion.

You'll love the TargetMaster. The sights are phenomenal and that extra inch of sight radius helps a lot.

I've been hunting for a 210 Target for a while. The big thing that kept me from considering one for Bianchi was the unavailability and/or high cost of the associated gear...mags, holsters, etc.

The TargetMaster is what a lot of people are using for Metallic and the rear sight that's already on it is the best one to use for a Mover Front sight.

I haven't quite made the leap to buying a mover front, but I may yet Warren. How long ahead of time would I need my order in?

The TargetMaster is what a lot of people are using for Metallic and the rear sight that's already on it is the best one to use for a Mover Front sight.

I haven't quite made the leap to buying a mover front, but I may yet Warren. How long ahead of time would I need my order in?

I think that if you look at Warren's signature line in the post you'll find that you're out of luck? Time ran out at midnight, 1-31!

:roflol::ph34r:

My admin person did the sig line. I will help people as long as possible right up to the Cup. There is usually a flurry of activity in April and May to try to get my own projects done in time. The Jan. 31 thing is to try to get people to plan ahead a little instead of waiting till the last minute.

The Mover Front Sights are running about 2-3 weeks lead time right now.

My admin person did the sig line. I will help people as long as possible right up to the Cup. There is usually a flurry of activity in April and May to try to get my own projects done in time. The Jan. 31 thing is to try to get people to plan ahead a little instead of waiting till the last minute.

I was just picking on him, Warren! I know just how "hard to get along with you are!" (NOT)! :cheers::bow:

Edited by Alan550

I was just picking on him, Warren! I know just how "hard to get along with you are!" (NOT)! :cheers::bow:

Now THAT's funny.

Haha guys, I noticed after I posted that it just HAPPENED to be the very day in his signature, with just 2.5hrs to spare!. lol.

Warren, I'm gonna shoot a few more practice movers in the next few weeks with this STI, if I can't break 470 80% of the time, I'll give you a call soon.

I had a great surprise today! Just in the nick of time my STI Target Master showed up at my shop! Only a month late but no worries. Luck would have it that I was going to shoot today so I had 200 rounds of the 9mm load I've been shooting out of my P210. That load is 4.0 gr VVN320 and 124gn Montana Gold hp with mixed brass. I had several failure to chamber and a few stuck cases but ended up getting a decent 25 yard zero out of the Aristocrat sights. I'm not sure how the sights will relate to AP but I have time to figure it out. I don't think it like the 124's MG's that much like my Sigs do so I'll try some 115's. I want to stick to the N320 for sure and boy does it need a trigger job. Questions : does anyone make a gnarled dial to replace the flat head adjustment screw on the Aristocrat rear sight? Oh Warren!!! You ready to make a mover front sight and prone pad?

Congrats, Blade! What kind of FTF malfunctions did you have? My Caspian is very sensitive to hollow point bullets and 1911 type 9mms are notorious for nose dive FTF. The Zero 115gr (#135) work best in mine, other than round nose of course. Good luck! See you at Bianchi!

They were failure to Chamber completely. Simple tap of the back of the slide with seat the round . I'm not the slightest bit worried since it's a brand-new pistol. If it still doing it after about 500 rounds then I might start to get concerned. I ordered the Brazo's Pro Series Trigger group last night to get that trigger smoothed out.

I definitely say it has a tight chamber not to mention the Dillon sizing die doesn't really do a best job of getting the bulge all the way out of my mixed cases. Lots of work to do. Nothing like switching guns up at the last minute before a big match.

I definitely say it has a tight chamber not to mention the Dillon sizing die doesn't really do a best job of getting the bulge all the way out of my mixed cases. Lots of work to do. Nothing like switching guns up at the last minute before a big match.

You'll be alright. I got my TargetMaster a week or so before the Show-Me Cup and shot 1817-112X with little trigger time. It was nice shooting a pistol that was not a handicap whatsoever. The sights and sight radius help so much.

Make sure you chamber check your ammo, clean all the case lube off, mirror polish the feed ramp and run the gun wet after break in. Kevin uses the gun barrel instead of a chamber checker to check each round. Put a few drops of oil on the rails every 100 rounds or so, keep it wet.

try without the extractor, if there is to much tension the slide loses a lot of momentum.

the standard extractor must be tuned correctly, the standard is just a drop in part...

also check if there is no extractor clocking, I like to use EGW oversized firingpin stopplates in 9mm 1911's.

you can get a good trigger with the factory triggerparts!

• 2 weeks later...

Question: Does anyone have an accurate 9mm load they like for their Target Master? I received my Starline brass, HAP 125 and 115's, and have plenty of VV N320 and Titegroup. I also bought a Ransom rest to help speed things up. I know most STI's like the round loaded long. OAL? I'll have my slide back from Warren in a few day with a mover front sight so that should make things easier.

Edited by The Blade

IMG_2161.jpg

3.7gr of TG, 115gr Zero (HAP's and XTP's shoot as good), Federal primer, good brass (this was Lapua I think), loaded 1.13-1.15"

This was 6 at 50yards, 1.19", the smallest iron-sight pistol group I've ever fired from any gun with any load at 50. This load also shoots bugholes in the 6" Trojan 9mm too, solidly sub-1" at 25yds. I don't even mess with 9mm load development anymore, I just go straight to this load and tweak OAL.