Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1301Comp Open set up

BoyGlock

1301 is not readily available in my place. I will have it in a few months time. Right now Im planning on my Open Set up. Definitely my aimpoint T1 reddot will be on it as my eyes are not usable on irons anymore. So a rail wil be in order, also +7 mag extension. Any other things to consider?

Since the 1301 is months away from availability I found a Win. SX3 in the local GS. Ive read everyhing about it here and some swear by its viability, so Im seriously considering it for my Open proj. As ive said, Im new in this brand new game of 3gun here in my place and I dont intend to be a pro even if I want to I cannot be due to my Sr. age. But Im gonna compete seriously in local matches. Will this gun work better if not best for my purpose? M1/M2 is out because theres no gunsmith here capable of doing the works. With the SX3, I intend make it 12+1 via Nordic ext tube, and put a reddot on it. Is there a magwell for it now so I can speedload it? Searched and found none so Im limited to quad or duo loading with it? Is it a big disadvantage in Open?

Oh by the way, I also found a Benelli M1 Practical in one GS here! Read here its not so practical for our game?

Eta. The SX3 is about 37% cheaper than the 1301 here. By analogy 1301 is 1,200 vs 750 for sx.

Edited by BoyGlock

For an open Benelli, add a speed chute for tubes. Knock off the sharp corners in the loading port with a little sand paper on your finger. Add a sight system and your there. An open Benelli does't take near the mods that a standard does, because you are not hand loading it.

That said the SX3 is a great platform as well. See the above and do that to an SX3 and your in the same place. Open guns just don't need the amount of crap folks THINK they need on a standard gun, and most standard guns don't need most of the stuff folks post either.

Thank you guys for the input. Appreciate it.

I forgot to mention that the Benellis are harder to find here than a 1301. Except that lone m1 Practical w/c is an oddball for any div except open ( per my readings here). But on the other hand I will only shoot Open due to my aging eyes, so it may be a better if not the best choice?

You are right kurtm, theres really no need for all those mods in order to shoot them. I too, intend to train more than to modify the gun. But its said in this forum that m1/m2 are not reliable on some loads specially on low powered ones. I dont intend to reload my shells and nobody does here in my place so I will be using all factory loads. But even factory loads here are very limited in choices. Same with gun parts and accessories which are virtually none in the stores as this sport is brand new here.

Mike, Yesterday I was very much inclined to get an SX3 due to its claimed reliability and light weight not to mention it costs the least among my choices. But last night, I read here that its not so reliable just like its predecessor SLP and SX2 with sudden cannot be explained jams, which caused their demise of in the practical field. How prevalent was that?

To sum up, with my very limited knowledge and guns' availability, I need/want one thats reliable and durable out of the box. Cost is the least consideration. But its still a factor.

Thanks. Hope to learn more from you all.

Edited by BoyGlock

With your inputs above, here are my choices now for Open:

Benelli m1 Practical @ 1,550.00 in stock

Winchester SX3 @ 750.00 in stock

Beretta 1301 Comp. @ 1,200.00 not in stock

Jeez! I never expect it would be this hard to start in this sport! :)

1301. Though I know nothing of running one in open.

Thanks.

With 1301 Comp I will install a rail and reddot, +7 tube = 12 rnds, buy 2 Carlson chokes, thats all. Thats my original plan.

Do I need speedloaders in Open? Is quad or dual loadings not enough to compete?

Thanks.

With 1301 Comp I will install a rail and reddot, +7 tube = 12 rnds, buy 2 Carlson chokes, thats all. Thats my original plan.

That sounds like a plan to me.

Honestly at the matches I've shot, even the ones with big shotgun stages, the guys who are good at quadloading keep up with the open guys just fine. If your committed to getting 8 rounds loaded and back on the shoulder consistently under 4 seconds I don't think there's advantage to the extra loading options Open allows.

Thanks.

Honestly at the matches I've shot, even the ones with big shotgun stages, the guys who are good at quadloading keep up with the open guys just fine. If your committed to getting 8 rounds loaded and back on the shoulder consistently under 4 seconds I don't think there's advantage to the extra loading options Open allows.

Im inclined to agree at the moment. Ive seen a video of Eric G. Practicing quadloading and I presume he is shooting Open in 3gun?

Im not Eric nor I will shoot vs him. But its something to consider at my start-up beginners phase.

The only experience I have with the SX3 was the one that I owned that ran like a top. Most of the posts you read about them being unreliable are "a guy at the range was using one and it choked" or "I heard...." :)

Good luck with the new rig. The 1301 is a fine choice.

Thanks.

That's because most of the guys designing stages shoot a tube gun, and design the stages with target gaps to facilitate load time.

We may have an all SG stage at our major with no gaps in targets, and quite a few aerials mixed in . we'll see how that works :devil:

I actually figured you might chime in to disagree with me. You make a fair point, and a box fed gun could certainly help in your scenario. I stand by my statement as it relates to speedloaders, xrails and such for tube guns in open though.

The only experience I have with the SX3 was the one that I owned that ran like a top. Most of the posts you read about them being unreliable are "a guy at the range was using one and it choked" or "I heard...." :)

Good luck with the new rig. The 1301 is a fine choice.

Mike of the options I listed above, the SX3 is one Im seriously considering inspite of my reads last night. It came from a tested platform and maker FN/win. But so is the 1301 by Beretta and M1 by Benelli. I may not have limits in budget but for its price vs 1301 and m1, and if it will do what the other two can Im all for it. So far Im depending soley on you guys in this forum to hopefully make the right decision.

As of this time I have zero experience on them but heres my take on my options:

1301: 3-5 months to availability. Almost ready to race. For Open, I will add a rail, reddot, +7 extn tube, 2 chokes.

SX3: readily available. Set up for hunting but can be raced and as of this time Im more on shooting and learning/training. Add rail, reddot, +7 or 8 (how many rounds in stock tube to make 12?), lowest priced.

M1 Practical: readily available. Ready to race. Except Add a reddot, need to replace tube to make it 12 rnds as its not ready(?) fo have an extension, most expensive, double the cost of SX3. Cannot be used in other divs except Open, which Im gonna be ( but who knows later?). Wont shoot light and moderate loads.

So far these are the things in my so confused undecided and newbie mind :)

Bottom line, I need and want something thats reliable and durable that can at least race.

Umm, throw a red dot on any shotgun you've got and go shoot a match before deciding anything? Better yet shoot other people's shotguns.

You're not going to win your first time so go learn before spending a lot of money.

Umm, throw a red dot on any shotgun you've got and go shoot a match before deciding anything? Better yet shoot other people's shotguns.

You're not going to win your first time so go learn before spending a lot of money.

Thank you. For your input.

Im trying to do just that. Ive shot 2 club lev. Matches so far with my hunting mossberg 9200 semi with aimpoint r1 reddot. Its a bit far fetched to aim for a win so Im more on finding the right equipment to help me train properly.

Im very fascinated by this thread from 2010 showing a m1 practical out of the box with speed loaders and additional tubes as accessories. Are these accessories standard that comes with the gun?

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=116924&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Eta. Ive searched Benelli web site but found nothing.

Edited by BoyGlock