Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge feeding issues - at my wits' end

Cliveb

I have an Edge in .40S&W. I run 190gr plated heads (flat point with relatively rounded shoulders, not conical) loaded to 1.170 COL.

The issue is that I regularly get failures to feed in which the round chambers part way but then appears to get the rim stuck below the extractor. The extractor is an AFTEC, with correctly radiused firing pin stop and front spring removed.

Magazines are all tuned with the Dawson's kit and springs (recoil and mag) nice and new.

Theoretically, all is correct, but I still get regular issues. I'm beginning to suspect that my rounds may actually be too long for this gun. What do you gents think? should I perhaps drop the COL to something like 1.145"? Should I pull out the AFTEC and install a correctly tuned standard extractor?

After running a G35 for 35,000 trouble free rounds, this was supposed to be an improvement....but I'm beginning to hate this gun.

Unfortunately there are no decent gunsmiths here, so I have to solve it myself.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try chamber checking the rounds with your barrel out. If the rounds go in freely and fall out freely, you can rule out the rounds.

My other concern is that you were running a Glock before that. If you picked up the Glock rounds to reload for your Edge, your brass may have a Glock bulge due to the unsupported barrel of the Glock. You can check if this is a problem with the same method above.

To remove the Glock bulge, you would need to resize your brass using a U-die. I had this issue when I first started reloading for my Edge. I picked up an EGW U-die and that solve the problem.

http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=840

For the record, I load my brass out to 1.180 so I don't think the OAL is a problem.

Edited by vtecpaoche

I also don't think OAL is the issue as I have loaded out to 1.200+ with no problems. What kind of bullet is this that you're using? 190 grain is not a common weight and it may have a shape that the gun doesn't like. Pics would be helpful. If all else fails sell it to me cheap and make it my problem.

Edited by Lifeislarge

If the round is hanging up under the extractor it's not length or bulging issues. The round has to at least make it into the chamber for those to be concerns. UNLESS, the nose of the bullet is jammed against something as well.

When you run into a problem like that, you have to eliminate one factor at a time,

unfortunately - no shortcuts.

Start with the ammo - like vtec mentioned, do The Plunk Test first, because it is

the easiest/fastest to rule out. If your ammo is good, then go onto

The mags - all of your malfunctions with one or two particular mags? If not,

Go on to loading another brand of cartridge/bullet? That work?

If not, check the springs - what spring are you using?

And, keep going, until the problem goes away ...

Good luck with it. :cheers:

When you run into a problem like that, you have to eliminate one factor at a time,

unfortunately - no shortcuts.

Start with the ammo - like vtec mentioned, do The Plunk Test first, because it is

the easiest/fastest to rule out. If your ammo is good, then go onto

The mags - all of your malfunctions with one or two particular mags? If not,

Go on to loading another brand of cartridge/bullet? That work?

If not, check the springs - what spring are you using?

And, keep going, until the problem goes away ...

Good luck with it. :cheers:

Seemed to have covered everything you need here. Most i know of use HP bullets as some just dont like to feed FP bullets. Try a few of the mags or even borrow some from a friend that were tuned from a different source.

I had an open gun and I started to have feeding issues. I changed out a bunch of things like springs and guide rods, then I realized when I changed bullets, the OAL was not the same and now it runs again.

Get some ammo from a shooting buddy and try some of his ammo (if you trust his reloading) otherwise get some factory ammo and see if the same thing happens. Try the ammo first, then borrow a mag from a friend and try that.

Try loading a couple of dummy cartridges with progressively longer OALs...

Start with 1.155, then 1.165, 1.175, etc...

Drop each in your barrel and spin it with your fingers... like the plunk test, but spin the bullet also... Find the longest OAL that will spin freely in your barrel... Use that for your new OAL...

Is the rim of the case hanging up on the extractor? Is there a sharp edge or bur on the lower edge of the extractor hook? If so, easing the edge or removing the bur may solve your problem.

Edited by scooterj

Thanks for all the advice.

Further details - I run all my cases through a Lee factory crimp die which re-sizes right down to to the rim. They all pass the "plunk test", otherwise I put them aside for plinking.

I'm not prepared to accept ammo limitations - these 190's work like a dream and I don't want to change them just because my gun is finicky - I will get it to accept all ammo...or blow it to bits ;-)

I do think the main issue is the bloody aftec. It was installed by a previous owner who didn't really do a good job - yesterday I radiused the FP stop plate even more and I thinned out the material to give the extractor more space to "float" forward. I also bevelled the hook end even more. I know it invalidates the guarantee, but at this stage I'm about to chuck out the ruddy thing and replace it with an original extractor anyway.

This morning I ran 200 rounds without a hitch (including 40 rounds which had failed the plunk test) - only issue was 1 failure to extract while shooting strong hand only - I then put in the front aftec spring too and then it seemed to work well. Unfortunately, until I run at least 1000 trouble free rounds through it, I'll not have a good enough sample size to judge whether the repair worked.

I'll also consider lengthening my COL as per your advice, but seeing that she feeds factory rounds pretty well, I'm not sure whether that is the problem.

Will give it another couple of sessions and then report back. By April it must be running 100% - I have a Level III match in Vienna and it costs too much to risk taking a marginally functional gun!

Bloody thing is driving me to distraction.

Edited by Cliveb

I've had to tune several aftec extractors to have them function correctly. Typically there is not enough forward relief at the bottom inside edge where the rim makes first contact when feeding. This causes the rim to bind as the round chambers and locks things up. It's been my experience that if the ftf happens with the round below the extractor, this relief cut is 90+%the issue. While the Aftec may help some/most, it is not a magic fix for all problems, and is not always a drop in part.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My gun had similar problems My gunsmith lowered the barrel into the barrel channel and it ran 100% from then on. Friends gun same thing, same cure

Edited by lppd4

Ippd4, unfortunately in my country there isn't a gunsmith I'd trust to work on my barrel geometry - so that potential solution is out.

10sandxs - I suspect that I am facing a similar issue. In fact, after working on the bottom inside edge, it appears to be working better - I'll keep nibbling at the bugger until I get zero feeding issues- if necessary by changing extractor.

I'm not prepared to accept ammo limitations - these 190's work like a dream and I don't want to change them just because my gun is finicky - I will get it to accept all ammo...or blow it to bits ;-)

Wow.... Good luck with that. :|

I think you are failing to understand the 2011 platform - as designed - was intended for ammo longer than the SAMMI standard for .40 S&W. You can accept that, move forward, load according and be happy. :D

or continue to try an bend it to your will...and be frustrated. Your call. ;)

I had the same issue when I got my Executive. I switched the factory extractor to an Aftec with both springs and my issue went away. I run my 180s and 200s pills to 1.125-1.130 and I never had any issues since. I have put easily 2k rounds with the stock magazines. Didn't do a thing to the After other than opening up the FPS notch for the Aftec to fit correctly.

Edited by MrRick