Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cleaning Schedule

Txpastorbob

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have the time, there is nothing wrong with the way you were taught. I think a clean firearm is like a clean engine....cleaner is better. With that said, when I was shooting on a more regular routine, I would clean mine ever two matches. Keeping in mind, that is less than 400 rounds of shooting when we're talking about club matches.

It's not a bad idea, to see just how many rounds you can put through your gun before it starts to fail. That way, if you ever have a multi day, high round count, major, you will have a better idea of when to clean or leave it alone.

Of course weather conditions are always a variable, so cold, dust, etc have to be taken into consideration too.

I clean/lube the top end of my 1911 about every 1000 rounds or so. I live in Colorado, so rust isn't a concern.

I always test fire immediately after cleaning to make sure it's back together correctly.

I take the bottom end of the gun apart once a year, maybe twice. For me that's once in 10,000 rounds.

My revolvers get wiped off after a match, cleaned every 3-4000 rounds and detail striped once a year.

In the winter when I'm bored and after I am tired of reloading I might clean some guns. Not much dust in the winter so powder residue is all that is left to clean so I don't. I haven't cleaned the Benelli or the STI in the winter for a long time. Before the first major 3gun in the spring everything will get cleaned/inspected. After the spring clean/inspect I rarely take the STI or the shotgun apart unless I am going to a major match. The AR gets more cleaning than anything just because it's an AR. Blast it with break cleaner after maybe 2 or 3 local 3gun matches, apply lube, brush chamber, and and I'm done.

In the summer it is a different story. I'll wipe down all the steel at the end of the day or it may be starting to rust from the sweat by the next morning. The STI is blue, or it once was, but now that finish is missing in a lot of places so I wipe it down with a rag and Gibbs Oil. That is probably overkill since I discovered Gibbs Oil, but it's an old habit. Gibbs Oil is THE ticket for preventing rust.

All guns get cleaned/inspected before each major 3gun match during the shooting season.

Edited by RPatton

Every 300 rounds, depending on what type of powder and bullets you use....lead and dirty powder could dirty your gun quicker than a clean burning powder and complete metal jackets.

I may shoot 2 club matches before I clean it.

If it is a major match and I am close to getting awarded, I will clean it each day, if it is a two day match.

I talked to a GM shooter at a 3 gun match and looked at his 9mm STI custom gun. He stated about every 1000 rounds.

As long as you lube it, it can run longer without malfunctions than if you just wait to lube it when you clean it. Same goes for the AR.

I'm a big proponent of practicing the way you compete. So, clean your gun before every match, even local matches. That way you won't be worried when you clean it before a major match.

I typically clean the entire top end - aftec, firing pin, bbl. And just wipe down the frame and grip.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I may not really clean it, but I will wipe down the rails, barrel and slide then a fresh coat of oil.

If you're shooting coated bullets, you don't really need to worry about barrel too much.

Run a bore snake thru it every now and then........good.

If not then +1 for cleaning at least every other match.

I clean every month or so during the season and before majors. I don't think I've ever had a jam that was due to a lack of cleaning with a center fire gun. Being dirty works for me... Like the others have said - cleaning more isn't a bad thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot a match on Sunday, live fire practice one day a week, clean gun before the match. Repeat

Cleaning involves taking off the slide, wiping out rails on slide and frame and a couple patches down the barrel. I pull the extractor every 1k.

I typically clean every 300-500 rounds. It kind of depends on the gun, too. One of my 1911s is super tight and runs much better with more frequent cleaning and liberal militec every 250 rounds. The other one can go twice as long without any issues.

I personally clean every time I shoot or at the very least before a match.

When competing you want to be sure that your gun will function 100%. That's my opinion at least.

that's exactly why I usually *don't* clean right before a match. I learned from racing motorcycles that working on gear when you don't have time to test it can lead to problems.

I typically try to clean my guns every 500-1000 rounds, which is pretty much every week or two.

I clean between 1400 and 2000 rounds. Usually 1700-1900. Since I use a heavier gear oil, I don't need to relube at any point between cleanings.

Only time I clean sooner is if I am in really dusty conditions that make the gun gritty when it cycles.

I treat a match very much like I treat life. I f you knew you were going to need your gun on a day you would clean it and make sure everything is working 100%. Why treat a match different?

Any failure is unacceptable! When do you wipe your behind? Every time!!

cleaner is better, but keep it lubed. I am currently trying to go to it won't work. I think I am around 1.3K still running strong. I also switched to using lanolin based lube about the same time; the gun is filthy with lanolin and no issues. I've got a match mid feb and will clean it before then. Typically I'll always at least to a quick cleaning before a match.

Clean it?

Kidding right?

Lock slide back. Clean feed ramp with end of your smallest finger. Oil the gun. Shoot the gun.

In 11 years and hundreds of thousands of rounds through a custom open gun the only problem I've encountered were directly due to cleaning.

As an example I cleaned my gun one time and somehow the slide was broke.

See,......it's a direct negative correlation.

Edited by Chris iliff

I clean "as needed". If it feels sluggish AND before any match.

If I've got a clean running load, I may practice all month - 1K rounds or so...

If it's dirty - like Titegroup in my DVC .40 - It's going to be way more often.

One of the things I REALLY like about HC guns, easy to see the dirt and easy to clean! :D

I clean my STI when it starts to act up or it looks really bad. I run VV powder and Bayou Bullets. Same with my Glocks only more so. I've run them to 1500 rounds with regular cast bullets and it was grungy but getting a little sluggish. World of difference between regular cast bullets and the polymer coated ones.

RPatton, first I've heard of Gibbs oil. Is it anything like G96 lube? Always interested in something better or just to try something new. Anyone else use it ?