Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wsf?

yz125mm700

No, its a good powder. Can make major safely within sami specs. I used it when i first started loading .40 major then switched to ramshot competition because i heard good things. I will go back to it once i go through my other powder

WSF has been very popular with some open shooters and works for some in Major.

It is NOT identical to Unique. It has NOT been accurate in my 9x19s, but that doesn't mean it won't be GREAT in your gun(s).

Note: Competiton is a very fast shotgun powder and very much not like WSF.

I tried. WSF in my 40 limited. Accuracy was ok, made made major PF easily. I found WST much better powder for me.

Also use it in 9mm with good success

jut like WSTarget much better

How did it differ? Accuracy was better?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

For me accuracy was much better. My groups were 1/3 the size with WST when compared to WSF. Recoil felt much better with WST also. I have not tried WSF with other bullet combinations. I have enough WST to last quiet awhile. At this point I will focus on practicing instead of load development.

WSF is supposedly a very decent powder, and it is safer to load than some of the real fast powders, but on the other side of the coin, it is a little slower, which gives a different recoil impulse. Most shooters like to load with the fastest powders they feel comfortable loading to get the lightest recoil for given PF.

• 3 weeks later...

sbo76 said he makes 170 PF using 5.4 grains of WSF and 180 grain plated.

and yz125mm700 says he uses 4.9 grains to make major.

I guess I'm surprised that there is .5 grains difference in the loads yet both make major.

I have a jug of WSF that I may have to use since I am out of the W231 I have been using.

Since I shoot 40 caliber in IDPA I only need to make 125 PF.

Does anyone have load data for a 180 grain jacketed bullet (delta precision) using WFS and making around 750 FPS?

By my calculations, it should be around 4.6 grains.

I guess I'm surprised that there is .5 grains difference in the loads yet both

make major.

I have a jug of WSF that I may have to use since I am out of the W231 I have been using.

Does anyone have load data for a 180 grain jacketed bullet (delta precision) using WFS and making around 750 FPS?

Look at their different oal

I went back thru my chrono log, this morning, and found this from January 2012:

SA XDm 4.5", 40 S&W

Case: mixed

Bullet: Precision Delta 180 gr. FMJ

Primer: CCI 500

Powder: WSF

COL: 1.120"

5.4 gr. - 172 PF

5.6 gr. - 176 PF

6.0 gr. - 180 PF

I guess I'm surprised that there is .5 grains difference in the loads yet both make major.

Oal can make difference. Shorter will increase pressure if no other variable changes. Also barrels can be different (my kart barrel is consistently 25-30 fps faster than my sti) or other factor like bullet type, temps, altitude, ect can effect the pf. Start low and work your way up. When testing wsf I started at 4.8g and loaded in .2g increments until I found a load that all 8 test rounds made major. I ended up backing down to 5.4 as the final load.

Oal can make difference. Shorter will increase pressure if no other variable changes. Also barrels can be different (my kart barrel is consistently 25-30 fps faster than my sti) or other factor like bullet type, temps, altitude, ect can effect the pf. Start low and work your way up. When testing wsf I started at 4.8g and loaded in .2g increments until I found a load that all 8 test rounds made major. I ended up backing down to 5.4 as the final load.

I concur!

And in fact, 2 XDm's may, or may not, give you the same velocity. I do not recall how far apart my two XDm's are but, it was enough to change the power factor by 2.

Thanks for the load data reshoot. I need to decide if I want to use the WSF or the Unique I have. I guess I can load a few different loads of each and see which feels better and shoots better.

With the spring match season finally getting close I need to get my supply of ammo built up a little. I haven't been reloading much since I became my clubs match director. We are lucky enough to have an indoor range so we have monthly matches all winter long, plus weekly practice sessions that I have also been running and shooting.