Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

GSSF Help

Mike62

I am getting ready to try my first GSSF match and I am a bit confused about some of the rules. It says that most of the parts need to be factory parts but I am not sure about parts like my TTI components that I believe started as stock parts that TTI then modified.

Here is the list of parts on my gun please let me know what can stay and what has to go back to stock:

Dawson Sights

TTI Trigger kit

Steel guide rod/13lb spring

Springer Base Pads

Pearce Grip Plug

Thanks!

Dawson Sights - Good to go

TTI Trigger kit - probably not

Steel guide rod/13lb spring - no

Springer Base Pads - According to the rules - no

Pearce Grip Plug - According to the rules - no

Edited by racerba

Dawson Sights

TTI Trigger kit

Steel guide rod/13lb spring

Springer Base Pads

Pearce Grip Plug

Everything but the sights will need to be removed and put back to stock unless entering Unlimited class.

Base pads and plugs are usually not looked at to close but they can be weighted. An RO looking close could bump you to unlimited.

They just want everyone to run stock, out of the box guns for all but one the classes. It's really geared towards beginners and has simple stages with no movement or reloads on the clock. You don't even need a holster.

They have an unlimited class for guns with mods.

GSSF is a fun way to get started in the shooting sports. There are a number of highly ranked USPSA/IDPA shooters who continue to shoot these matches as well. As has already been stated, this is geared toward getting people started with their (nearly) stock Glocks. Your choice of notch and post sights and a 4.5 lb. connector and you're ready to go ... at least as far as the gun goes. One tip, don't shoot any faster than you can get a GOOD sight picture. Added time penalties will kill a fast USPSA-style run.

• 2 months later...

Glad to hear you had a good experience with your first exposure to the 'poor man's Bianchi meets IDPA' style competition. It does prove to be addictive (but that's pretty much true across the shooting sports, isn't it?). Hope you continue to enjoy it for years to come.

Mike62:

GSSF's stated goal is to avoid the equipment races many of us have seen in other venues (IPSC, USPSA, IDPA, Steel Challenge, Cow-Critter, NRA, etc.). With that in mind, the rules aren't unnecessary, just not in keeping with your particular modifications.

By their own mission statement, it is a venue targeted at new competitors. Getting people off the couch and out to (some sort of) a match is their published goal. They aren't proprietary. They don't just want people to shoot GSSF matches. They hope folks will get the bug and join local ranges, shoot locals matches (of any variety), and become good selectors at the polls. Where they go after GSSF is immaterial, as long as they continue to grow in the shooting sports.

Guns with training wheels to start? Yes. But competing with guns just the same.

Simple. . .but not easy.

Seems like they have a lot of unnecessary rules. Makes it hard to come play in their matches with the same equipment that is legal for almost every other pistol game. Thank you all for the help.

There is a division called Unlimited. You can shoot just about anything with a GLOCK frame there that is legal in just about any other sport I can think of. I've had a lot of guys bumped there because of stipples frames, or aftermarket barrels etc. They all still had fun shooting.

• 2 weeks later...