Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Original P16-40 Limited, new Mecgar magazine question

jrswanson1

I have an older, made in Canada P16-40 Limited. When I purchased said pistol five years ago, it came with three OEM mags. I picked up four Mecgar mags, which hold 16 rounds. Since I started shooting USPSA Limited last year, I decided to pick up three new Mecgar mags. The newer Mecgar mags only hold 15 rounds and have flat, steel bases. Who makes extended bases for these mags? I haven't handled any of the Remington P16-40s, so I don't know if they went with skinnier magazines, hence the question. Thanks.

Dawson

https://dawsonprecision.com/basepad-hicap-for-para-extended-tool-less-design-by-dawson-precision/

read here first

https://cdn6.bigcommerce.com/s-5t3ceeio/product_images/uploaded_images/paramagtubedimensions.jpg?t=1445692892

If the tubes are too short these mags will work

http://gregcotellc.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=160&products_id=1612

I'm using these with the dawson basepad

Or get a few SPS or MBX

I have both, both work.

Edited by theKenny

MBX are pricey but they work. Love mine for my 18-9 & 16-40.

Mecgar's I bought were the 9mm/38super and did not work when loaded to 15.

Tried putting spacers in them and still did not work reliable. In the range bag for practice.

• 1 month later...

I didn't have the scratch for the Dawson's so I picked up two Arredondo +4 extensions from Midway, since I got a birthday discount. I tried them on the newer Mecgar mags. Nope, won't lock in. They work fine with the flat metal base, but no love with the extensions. I switched the extensions to the older Mecgars, and they work. But they only add +2. Cutting off part of the fingers on the plastic plate lets me run 19, but the follower gets stuck. No need to put a new spring in. But that still leaves me with two 15 round mags and no way to make them longer. Looks like I'll have to get those ACT mags if I want something bigger.

Yeah, the newer Mecgars are just a touch too short. Feh. And they decreased the capacity. So if/when I get a magwell, I won't be able to use them at all. At least there's a source for new mags that will work. When I bought these, ParaOrdnance had just been bought out by Remington, and there weren't any new Para branded mags left.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I got two of the Dawson extended base pads in the mail yesterday. After I installed them, I went from 16 to 18 rounds. Unlike the Arredondo extensions, these came with instructions. It seems the older Mecgar mag's followers won't slide past the lip of the magazine into the extension. They recommended (in the instructions) to use a file or sandpaper to round the bottom edge of the follower. I started doing that, then I thought about switching the guts from the 15 round Mecgar mags into the 16 round Mecgar mags to see what happens. The followers don't swap between springs, but it turns out, the newer 15 round mag springs are significantly longer than the 16 round springs. The followers are shorter, too. So swapping out the guts from the newer into the older gets me 20 rounds in the older mags. Putting the older guts into the newer mags still only gives me 15 rounds, but that's a wash. Anyway, I now have two 20 round mags for my Para. I will order two more extensions, and add springs and followers to the order. That will give me four good 20-round mags and two 15 round mags. I'll contact fishpinoy next week about our conversation.