Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How much power is too much?

Neomet

While in day to day life the answer is more than one currently has, I am talking here about how much magnification should one actually use to engage targets at let's say 100, 200 and 300 yards. There is a strong temptation to push the lever far right at the drop of a hat but I sense this is the wrong answer. Reduced FOV, more apparent dot movement, blah, blah, blah.

How much power do you typically use at these distances or are there some variables you use to decide?

What you are trying to hit makes a difference too.

Hitting the A zone of IPSC size paper targets at 300m using 6X seems easy to me. At 1.5X I have to pay attention at that distance.

More magnification for smaller targets or aiming zones.

At 2-300 I almost always use 6, some of my buddies that have the new Zeiss V8 use 8 at that distance, but it depends a bit on the target as well, generally I try to use as little magnification as I can. At 100 I might typically be around 3-4, but also depending on the target, if it's a small, partial I might go to 5, but I don't think I've ever been at 6 on a 100 meter target.

I'm also in the habit of using 1x as long as I can because of the added FOV and everything you get from shooting both eyes open, something I can't do as soon as I just turn the magnification slightly.

I use the lowest power that will allow me to execute the stage in the most efficient/effective manner. On some stages, this means engaging paper targets at less than 10 yards at max power, or engaging 10" steel at 300+ yards at 1.5X power. The answer is... it depends (as you suggested). It depends on stage design, lighting conditions, target presentation, and perhaps most importantly, your individual skill set. I'm sure that I have missed other critical factors.

I think 1X is just fine out to 300 or so, after that I like to blacken the front sight with a Bic lighter just to make sure there isn't any glare and then it,s good out to 600 or so. Not really a big difference in magnification, but it does make the sight picture sharper! :lol:

I think 1X is just fine out to 300 or so, after that I like to blacken the front sight with a Bic lighter just to make sure there isn't any glare and then it,s good out to 600 or so. Not really a big difference in magnification, but it does make the sight picture sharper! :lol:

Now why did I think that was going to be your vote? :roflol:

I try to use the LEAST power that still lets me see all the targets. Less tunnel vision, easier to find the targets. The biggest factor is whether the MD is too lazy to use backers and paint... it is amazing how big a black target in front of white corplast looks at 500 yards. Fortunately, the matches I go to locally all do a good job with target presentation. Other matches (cough - MG Nats - cough) are better left unmentioned. :angry2:

Edited by StealthyBlagga

Rick I was told by a great shooter long ago that he basically uses 1x per hundred yards, ex 1x at a hundred, 2x at 200 etc. he said he only goes higher if the targets are sub 3 moa. Plus he set the power to the longest shot. Doesn't mean I do this, but I probably should.

So Richard, at our last match. Plates at 100 and 200 yards and the one target at 300. How much juice did you use?

I just checked the video; from the position of the zoom lever, I was right around 2x. My scope (Burris XTRii) has a 1-5x zoom range, but I felt that 2x was adequate for the 12" plates at 300 yards, and the targets were spread out so the lower power helped with target acquisition speed. Out to 300 yards, the BDC reticle is inconsequential... at longer distances, I am more likely to go to 5x so I have BDC at my disposal.

So Richard, at our last match. Plates at 100 and 200 yards and the one target at 300. How much juice did you use?

I just checked the video; from the position of the zoom lever, I was right around 2x. My scope (Burris XTRii) has a 1-5x zoom range, but I felt that 2x was adequate for the 12" plates at 300 yards, and the targets were spread out so the lower power helped with target acquisition speed. Out to 300 yards, the BDC reticle is inconsequential... at longer distances, I am more likely to go to 5x so I have BDC at my disposal.

Perfect. Thanks. I have the same scope and pegged it at 5 which did not work so well for me finding the targets. :angry2:

Well, a single match does not a significant sample size make but our long range stage today had targets from around 70 to 265 yards. Shot it at 2.5 magnification and it was arguably the best run I have had at these distances.

Of course depending on the stage type and overall target distances.

But c. 40-50 meters 3-4x and out from that 6x

( Kahles K16i 1-6x scope )

I do have a Aimpoint T1 mounted also for target situations that I do not want to be changing the magnification on the main scope.