Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics

Onepocket

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot it, I have been shooting it since before it was even provisional.

No, you were shooting OPEN. The already fully sanctioned optics division.

I can tell you hate change, but that's ok. Zhunter is one of the few guys that put his money where his mouth is and actually showed up with a gun and started shooting it *before* getting a special division. Good for him. If more people were like him, the division would succeed.

Perhaps if they opened it up to more guns, more people would shoot it.

Ask a smith that can mill slides for an optic--How long is the wait time----You get just about the same answer... 8 Weeks. People can't shoot the Division if they don't have a gun!!!

I shoot it, I have been shooting it since before it was even provisional.

No, you were shooting OPEN. The already fully sanctioned optics division.

NO, YOU are WRONG, this was a wildcat match prior to our new club becoming affiliated with USPSA

BUT NICE TRY

You don't need to mill a slide to try it out, there are plenty of dovetail mounts available for many of the applicable guns.

Participation is low at the moment for all the reasons that others have stated, and as I have stated here and on the USPSA forums, USPSA has done NOTHING to promote this division since it was provisionally declared.

I have been shooting this setup since July 2014, including Area 3 and the Combined Nationals (though I had to drop out due to magazine problems at Nationals). I was shooting Open/Minor, ten rounds in every magazine.

OnePocket said they could always use them as a carry gun, but only if they put on suppressor sights, weapon mounted light and laser, draw from a retention thigh rig, run a Molle vest with 12 mags and knee pads,,,, Of course if you shot this "division" in a non-sanctioned local rules charity match, it wouldn't matter anyway because it wouldn't be USPSA. It would be more like IDPA, where they have a "Not for Competition Division"

Edited by 9x45

You don't need to mill a slide to try it out, there are plenty of dovetail mounts available for many of the applicable guns.

Participation is low at the moment for all the reasons that others have stated, and as I have stated here and on the USPSA forums, USPSA has done NOTHING to promote this division since it was provisionally declared.

I have been shooting this setup since July 2014, including Area 3 and the Combined Nationals (though I had to drop out due to magazine problems at Nationals). I was shooting Open/Minor, ten rounds in every magazine.

Try finding a dovetail to fit a RTS2 AND a P09.

You say they are not promoting CO...What should they do?

with all due respect (and this is the same comment I made last year), why should USPSA be making the effort to promote the division? IMHO, *you* are the one who should be making that effort, along with the other 6 people that lobbied intensively for a new division. If you expect someone else to do the work to make your pet project succeed, it is bound to fail.

If I were you, I would start by promoting a big CO-only match, with a nice prize table and good sponsor support.

Edited by motosapiens

So you are saying that I personally should be paying for full-page ad's in gun magazines to promote the division and I should be writing a four-five page article for Front Sight about all the various gun/sight options that are available, and I should be promoting this at every club match across the country?

Is that right, is that really MY responsibility ?

Are you saying that I should be driving the CO promotion via all available social media outlets ?

Are you saying that I should marketing this division and that USPSA has absolutely NO responsibility to do so ?

So you are saying that I personally should be paying for full-page ad's in gun magazines to promote the division and I should be writing a four-five page article for Front Sight about all the various gun/sight options that are available, and I should be promoting this at every club match across the country?

Are you saying that I should be driving the CO promotion via all available social media outlets ?

Are you saying that I should marketing this division and that USPSA has absolutely NO responsibility to do so ?

That's what I'm saying, except for the full page ad. Not just you, but all 7 of you that wanted the division. from my perspective, I would rather see uspsa focus on the divisions that people shoot.

My criticism right from the start is that y'all wanted other people to do extra work to create a division that there didn't appear to be demand for. Now it appears that I was right. I repeatedly suggested that y'all start shooting your CO guns in open and put on a CO-only match (outlaw if necessary) to demonstrate the demand.

The thing you have to realize is that there appear to be only a tiny handful of you who actually care about CO, or whether it succeeds or fails. I personally hope it succeeds, but not enough to actually do anything about it other than add the division in practiscore. I offered to break out separately (unofficially) in matches last year, and not one person locally expressed the slightest interest. So we have ignored the division.

Edited by motosapiens

It's an interesting idea. I simply have little incentive to try it out, personally.

I have the most experience with M&Ps, so obviously a CORE model, dovetail mount, or sending one of my numerous slides to a responsible adult to get milled would be straightforward. Would I enjoy shooting a dot over irons? I have no idea; I have plenty of fun with a good set of Dawsons. Do I get that a dot is going to make some of the technical shots more straightforward? Sure.

You run into the same critical mass kind of problem. If all my bros are shooting Production, I have more incentive to do that. While it's easy to see that slide mounted optics are on the rise, it will be a while before we see off the shelf combo packs, random people in basic pistol classes with RMRs, or people rolling with Tier Whatever Salients who don't sleep under a pile of Arc'teryx stuff.

In short, eh. Go for it, but I'll be over here.

This has been interesting. As an observation we had 112 people shoot at our local match on Saturday. Of that number 4 people shot CO, one of who is simply getting enough classifiers in and will then jump back to Open. Everyone here knows about CO. It doesn't cost that much to get in the division. We are set up to score the division. And yet nobody plays. I just think there is limited interest in the division. Maybe it will grow but I just don't think so. It reminds me of the push for 8 shot minor in revo with the belief that division would come off life support with the change. Didn't really happen. The revo shooters got new equipment but almost nobody came over from their preferred divisions.

Sure...

I'm against USPSA footing the bill for it. That doesn't equal," it's provisional until we see how it goes for a year". As a paying member I'll voice my strong opinion to my AD and the President regarding spending one penny on a handful of shooters. I want them to spend money on ranges and clubs , etc for the other 99.99989% of the membership