Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics

Onepocket

Hi everyone,

Maybe this is the wrong thread to ask in, but for a new USPSA shooter, would it be more beneficial to start in production or carry optics?

Specifically, I'm wondering whether there is an asymmetry in crossover between learning to shoot on irons vs. a dot. I've shot lots of irons (former bullseye (only used irons) and olympic pistol shooter), but have no experience with a dot. Would learning a dot lead to more improvements in irons than learning in irons lead to shooting w/ a dot?

The specific skill areas I know I need the most work in are:

1) Calling shots

2) Shooting while moving (and calling shots while doing so) 

3) Indexing

What differences would a carry optic versus irons make in learning these skills? Are there other core skills that are dramatically impacted by irons vs dots?

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

Sounds like Limited might be a better place to start.  No mag restrictions, no optics and still relatively competitive with a Production style gun.

I don't mind the mag restrictions, since I (til recently) was in a 10 round state. And carry optics has the new 140mm regs. It really comes down to which sight style to go with that I'm most unsure about.

Understood.  Your background suggests you're more comfortable with irons and that's what you're looking to work on.  That said, I really enjoy Carry Optics, and if I'm shooting minor it's my preferred division for now.  Otherwise I'm a single stack major guy.

Hi everyone,

Maybe this is the wrong thread to ask in, but for a new USPSA shooter, would it be more beneficial to start in production or carry optics?

Specifically, I'm wondering whether there is an asymmetry in crossover between learning to shoot on irons vs. a dot. I've shot lots of irons (former bullseye (only used irons) and olympic pistol shooter), but have no experience with a dot. Would learning a dot lead to more improvements in irons than learning in irons lead to shooting w/ a dot?

The specific skill areas I know I need the most work in are:

1) Calling shots
2) Shooting while moving (and calling shots while doing so) 
3) Indexing

What differences would a carry optic versus irons make in learning these skills? Are there other core skills that are dramatically impacted by irons vs dots?

For 1&2, optic makes it much easier to do. You actually see what your hitting at, rather than top of the sight. #3 I found it much easier to index iron sights than a dot. Dot is much harder to pick up, but when you get enough muscle memory it's easy. I just look for my front sight then tilt down.

Those are my opinions, I've only been shooting co for two uspsa matches and 6 total uspsa matches.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

For Carry Optics, if the weight limit is 35 oz, does that mean that if you have a gun that is under that, you can add additional weights (say in the magazine) in order to increase the weight up to the legal limit? Or am I just reading this incorrectly. 

For Carry Optics, if the weight limit is 35 oz, does that mean that if you have a gun that is under that, you can add additional weights (say in the magazine) in order to increase the weight up to the legal limit? Or am I just reading this incorrectly. 

Pretty sure the weight limit has increased to 45 oz including magazine.

https://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/20160123.pdf

Just now, bigbob21 said:

Didn't they raise the weight limit to 45oz? Or something more than 35...
some of the steel production guns are being setup to run now...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My impression was that at the Jan 2017 review, Matt Hopkins suggested an increase, but that it was not approved.

My impression was that at the Jan 2017 review, Matt Hopkins suggested an increase, but that it was not approved.

See my post above. Jan 2016 weight increased to 45 oz. They tried to remove weight limit but it didn't pass.

https://www.uspsa.org/bodminutes/20160123.pdf

Jan 2017 was when magazine capacity was removed and 140mm length introduced.

I added as much weight as possible to my Glock 17 CO gun.  I epoxied lead shot into the grip void and am using a tungsten guide rod.  Still not like a steel gun, but the best I can do.

Here's my thinking on CO.  My carry gun has an RMR (G19), therefore I want my competition rig to also have a red dot.  I use a DeltaPoint on my CO gun.  If you use irons on your carry gun(s), consider Production or Limited.  If you use an optic, you get to choose between Open and CO.  Not that USPSA is self defense training or anything, but most of my reps are gotten through competition.  I may as well shoot something a little similar to my carry rig...a little.

Edited by CHLChris

From my experience, it takes about 6 good months of training to become proficient with the dot if no previous dot experience.  Since you are new to the sport, it will take at least this long to become relatively competitive in any division, so not an issue.  I also find it easier to go back to irons from a dot.  I think a dot (especially a 3 MOA) provides more feedback on trigger control and sight alignment during dry and live fire practice, which helps improve overall marksmanship.  Additionally, If you are just starting USPSA, CO will typically only require one mag change per stage, making stage breakdowns a little easier.  Best of luck.

• 1 year later...
Just now, Ozy said:

considering moving to CO,   can I use a 2011  pistol with no ported barrel, no magwell, in 9mm in the CO  divison?

No dice. 

Guns in the CO division need to be guns on the prod list with approved modifications. 

By extension, that means no 2011s.