Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry optics

Onepocket

I think that creating a maximum magazine length rule will generate an "Arms Race" when its not needed. How many truly competitive CO pistols out there can't get 16 rounds of 9mm in a standard magazine?

Why should only 9mm guns can be competitive? Admittedly, there aren't azzloads of folks shooting 40 or 45 in production, and I would guess there won't be tons of them in CO either, but there are some. If I shoot CO, I will probably start with a cz 40 (12 rounds).

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ten round limit along with Minor scoring shifts the emphasis from speed to accuracy. Higher round-count divisions coupled with Major scoring tend to shift the focus more to speed.

Rather than looking at CO in isolation, instead look at it as part of a comprehensive line up of divisions:

Limited/Open are dominated by increased capacity Major guns, the loss of a single point for a peripheral hit along with the extra rounds that allows make-up shots with minimal need for standing reloads.

Production/CO are low capacity Minor guns, the additional loss of points for hits outside the A-zone and the limited magazine capacity make these divisions markedly different from Limited/Open and therefore provide for clear differences that appeal to different competitors.

Increasing magazine capacity for Production/CO will essentially reduce the choices for competitors.

We have a good mix of divisions; Both cheaper and expensive iron-sighted divisions in Production and Limited, with similar choices on either end of the cost spectrum for CO and Open.

BritinUSA brings up an interesting topic, the higher round count divisions are about speed, and the limited capacity divisions are about accuracy. A 16 round CO would be a real balance or speed and accuracy to perform well.

Just a thought

So currently some divisions are only offered as low cap while others only high cap. Why not give all the divisions options like Limited/L10? We can have Open/O10, Limited/L10, Production/P10, Carry Optics/CO10. For Production and Carry Optics we can choose 15 rounds, 16 rounds, 140mm, 130mm, etc. whatever most people want. Allow all these divisions for lets say 2 years as a testing period. After 2 years we review stats from all divisions and any that don't make x number or x percent of total participation get the axe.

:devil:

We have a good mix of divisions; Both cheaper and expensive iron-sighted divisions in Production and Limited, with similar choices on either end of the cost spectrum for CO and Open.

Totally agree.

Ultimately I don't thing the mag capacity of CO will affect it much one way or another if it's stays where it's at, or changes upward. But 10 rounds does keep it most accessible to all, both on provisioning of equipment, as well as locations for major matches where folks will travel to.

The way this thread is going... It sounds like y'all are up for turning a limited minor gun into a production optics gun... (With 10+ mag capacity)

Cheaper to buy an optic and slide cut/dovetail mount vs buying a new steel pistol to compete in production and x2 or x3 cheaper than buying a new 2011 to compete in limited/open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, Lukedrywalker said:

Someone didn't bother to read the forum or look at the thread date.  This is a zombie from 2016 - we've discussed the new rules in other threads on this.

Edited by mreed911

31 minutes ago, Onepocket said:

The new question is will the new magazine bump save CO?   With 23 rounds I may even have to give it a try, open lite sounds fun.

The division aint going away. This will just help get more folks to shoot that division.  

42 minutes ago, Onepocket said:

The new question is will the new magazine bump save CO?   With 23 rounds I may even have to give it a try, open lite sounds fun.

Save it from what?

"Beginners" can start in CO with an "open lite" gun with factory ammo and $719 + tax (Cablea's) + maybe a couple or three 140mm mags, mag pouch and holster.  All in for under $1,000 (if not $900).  That's pretty good.

FWIW, I consider my S&W Victory with an optic to be closer to "open lite" when I shoot steel challenge since the optic is frame mounted on that pistol and never moves.  Would be interesting to see S&W take that approach and make a "Victory 9mm" that functioned similarly and the optic didn't move...

Edited by mreed911

1 hour ago, Onepocket said:

2 people are shooting it in S.C. I do think changing the round count to 23 was a great decision and will bring lots more people into the division. 

To be clear, it's not "a round count of 23," it's 140mm mags for your platform.  Edit: Round count may vary +/- 2 (or more) depending on platform.

Edited by mreed911

12 minutes ago, mreed911 said:

To be clear, it's not "a round count of 23," it's 140mm mags for your platform.  Round count may vary +/- 2.

To be clear it's actually 141.25mm magazine length, there is no maximum round count.

I just added mag extensions to my S&W mags. They now hold 23 rounds. My first thought was when holding the gun with mag installed was, wow this thing is heavy. I have not fired the gun yet but I'm wondering if the added weight will have much effect on recoil? I'm so used to shooting it with 10 rounds it feels like a new gun in my hands. What are your thoughts? 

15 minutes ago, Lukedrywalker said:

I just added mag extensions to my S&W mags. They now hold 23 rounds. My first thought was when holding the gun with mag installed was, wow this thing is heavy. I have not fired the gun yet but I'm wondering if the added weight will have much effect on recoil? I'm so used to shooting it with 10 rounds it feels like a new gun in my hands. What are your thoughts? 

Does the gun + unloaded mag exceed the weight limit for CO?  Do the mags extend longer than 141.25mm?

Those are the first two questions... :)

54 minutes ago, Lukedrywalker said:

NO!

Awesome!  Which optic did you go with?  I've seen quite the range on the guns out there.  I'm sporting a Burris FF3 on my Glock and a Vortex Viper on my S&W Victory for Steel Challenge.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2016 at 4:32 PM, motosapiens said:

Why should only 9mm guns can be competitive? Admittedly, there aren't azzloads of folks shooting 40 or 45 in production, and I would guess there won't be tons of them in CO either, but there are some. If I shoot CO, I will probably start with a cz 40 (12 rounds).

I have a Glock 22 that is set up exactly like my Glock 17 (with same frame mods and both with a milled DeltaPoint).  My 22 is for home defense and my 17 is for CO.   Sometimes, if I feel like carrying the extra weight, I'll bring the 22 as a back-up gun with a bunch of minor loads I make with 155gr bullets and Titegroup.

I much prefer 23 rounds of 9mm over 20 rounds of 40, but since I always need one reload anyway, they both are fine.

Edited by CHLChris