Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mark 7 autodrive for 650

Looks amazing.

My main concern is... when i load, i typically have to stop for something every 25 rounds or so?!? Maybe it's just me, but something will cause me to have to make a manual fix. Either an upside down bullet, and upside down piece of brass, a piece of N350 lodges into the shell plate preventing the brass from fully inserting, sometimes the brass jams in the feeder, gosh it's always something.

I'd definitely consider buying the Mark 7 if it would run smooth enough that would make it truly automated; and all i had to do was keep everything full!

If you have an upside down bullet every 25 rounds or so, you definitely need to adjust the bullet collator. That should not be happening.
No Rick, it's not always the bullet. It's a multitude of sins, many are my fault: wrong caliber case in feeder, indexing arm spring tension, powder splashing only she'll plate, etc.

I'm def a BIG fan of the MBF!!! Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...
I bought the one Brassaholic13 made, here is video of it:
My understanding was that the 650 was a challenge to do one pass reloading on it like you can with a 1050. I believe he said he did case prep one pass, then actual loading a different pass. There were just some challenges with getting the 650 to case prep correctly AND be smooth platform on reloading, I don't know if this was issue more so some calibers or volume of powder. He moved to 1050 for auto reloading why he sold this beauty - I just bought for case prep, so I'm fine with it as is. It's possible the 'dwell' and variable speed solves the issues on 650 he had, I don't know.

Awesome video Thanks

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...

Sell your 650. Buy a 1050 then get a mark 7. 

I've loaded over 20k with Mark 7. I've loaded about 5k on my 650 without mark 7.  I've had more issues with the 650 than I have with the automated 1050. 

Case feed on 650 can be a pain. No swaging. No primer depth adjustment on the 650. 

1050 is worth the extra $$

I know a few friends who own a mark 7 and a 1050.  For me, I load about 400 rounds a loading session.  It takes me roughly 30 minutes to load the ammo.  I'll keep the $1900 and spend it on components or new guns parts.

I actually enjoy reloading and I definitely "feel" things on my 650. (Primer issues)  I'm not sure I would automate my 650.  If money was no object, a 1050 with mark 7 makes more sense.

3 hours ago, stick said:

I know a few friends who own a mark 7 and a 1050.  For me, I load about 400 rounds a loading session.  It takes me roughly 30 minutes to load the ammo.  I'll keep the $1900 and spend it on components or new guns parts.

I actually enjoy reloading and I definitely "feel" things on my 650. (Primer issues)  I'm not sure I would automate my 650.  If money was no object, a 1050 with mark 7 makes more sense.

Yeah. This makes sense.  

To be honest, I only bought the 1050 because I got tired of squishing primers. I had tendonitis really bad last year so I bought the mark 7. I'm glad I got it but I probably wouldn't have if I didn't have jacked up tennis elbow. 

There is about a $500-600 difference. I was thinking it was more like $200.  The 650 does great. 

Edited by B_RAD

On 2/5/2018 at 11:28 AM, Chris Keen said:

Anybody else using a MARK 7 on their 650? 

Yes! I have loaded about 50,000+  rounds on it so far with the Mark 7 Pro (650 model). At first I had issues with the press adjustments. It's pretty amazing how tolerant we are maladjusted stuff when we load manually. The automation is not tolerant to that. It will quit (with torque shutdowns and break stuff like index rings that are not completely greased). It took about a month to discover and fix everything. It was not fun.

Once I got it all fixed after buying 4 index rings and using 3 of them, it runs great. I love it. BE AWARE...it does not load anywhere near the auto settings. I do 9 mm. When the rate is set on 1200 per hour it consistently does 734. I have no idea why they label it 1200. 

If you are like me, you load even more than before getting the Mark 7. It wears out press parts like crazy. Get yourself a good inventory of replacement parts. For example, on Saturday I ran 1000 rounds just great. When I started it up Sunday to do more it wouldn't drop casings reliably onto the platform. I discovered it had decided not to push the arm far enough to drop the casing because the ramp had somehow moved too far out to push the arm. I just ordered a new case slide and ramp.

This thing saves time and I would buy it again but it finds every mechanical weakness in the press eventually. Unfortunately the press has a lot of weaknesses. I especially resent the 1200 per hour label when the things loads just over half of that.  Do not buy a decapping sensor for it.. Fortunately mine came free as did two replacements. Breaks frequently. The Mark 7 is still worth it but Im hoping it works better on a 1050. I'm about to find out. Wish me luck. I think I might need it. 

I'll be happy to sell you my 650 pro (Mark 7 only, not the press) which I believe is $2100 now. for 1700. It is in perfect condition and works fine (except the decapping sensor). Im not too far from you you and your are welcome to come see it in action.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/12/2018 at 9:11 PM, Brooke said:

Yes! I have loaded about 50,000+  rounds on it so far with the Mark 7 Pro (650 model). At first I had issues with the press adjustments. It's pretty amazing how tolerant we are maladjusted stuff when we load manually. The automation is not tolerant to that. It will quit (with torque shutdowns and break stuff like index rings that are not completely greased). It took about a month to discover and fix everything. It was not fun.

Once I got it all fixed after buying 4 index rings and using 3 of them, it runs great. I love it. BE AWARE...it does not load anywhere near the auto settings. I do 9 mm. When the rate is set on 1200 per hour it consistently does 734. I have no idea why they label it 1200. 

If you are like me, you load even more than before getting the Mark 7. It wears out press parts like crazy. Get yourself a good inventory of replacement parts. For example, on Saturday I ran 1000 rounds just great. When I started it up Sunday to do more it wouldn't drop casings reliably onto the platform. I discovered it had decided not to push the arm far enough to drop the casing because the ramp had somehow moved too far out to push the arm. I just ordered a new case slide and ramp.

This thing saves time and I would buy it again but it finds every mechanical weakness in the press eventually. Unfortunately the press has a lot of weaknesses. I especially resent the 1200 per hour label when the things loads just over half of that.  Do not buy a decapping sensor for it.. Fortunately mine came free as did two replacements. Breaks frequently. The Mark 7 is still worth it but Im hoping it works better on a 1050. I'm about to find out. Wish me luck. I think I might need it. 

I'll be happy to sell you my 650 pro (Mark 7 only, not the press) which I believe is $2100 now. for 1700. It is in perfect condition and works fine (except the decapping sensor). Im not too far from you you and your are welcome to come see it in action.

I'm just going through this at the moment,  I just broke my 7th index ring, it's got me baffled. Dan at Mark 7 is supposed to be showing me the issues but unfortunately being in a waaaay different time zone, trying to be in front of the press at the same time customer support can call is proving difficult.

• 3 weeks later...

Adding to an old thread:

I purchased a Mark 7 for my 650 and it works great.

Right now I've loaded over 5K (not 50K like the other writer) of 9MM 147 with far less issues than when I was pulling the lever. It does not wear things out, it does run with the upstroke pause feature turned off at 1100+ per hour (setting says 1200) and almost 900 hour when that setting is selected. 

I have broken 2 indexing rings, but they were both my fault. What I did was attempt to move/jog the press down after an auto stop without clearing the problem first. Shell plate didn't turn but plastic index did try very hard and snap!

Keep the parts greased and lubed according to Dillon instructions and it should not wear parts out any faster than by pulling the handle (actually probably less).

Here's what the Mark 7 does better than pulling the handle:

1. Super smooth!
  2. No powder spills
  3. Powder weights don't seem to vary.
  4. Bullets 99.9% always feed correctly (not upside down)
  5. OAL more consistent.
  6. Primer depth fully adjustable
  7. Looks cool with the computer tablet
  8. Quiet!
  9. My shoulder and arm don't hurt after an hour of reloading.

BTW my last Chrono test of ammo loaded with the Mark 7, 3 groups of 10, all had a std dev less than 6fps (less than half the SD of ammo loaded pulling the lever).

Needless to say, I'm a fan.

Edited by HesedTech