Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please critique my position entry

FTDMFR

After years of practicing only stand-and-shoot drills, I'm starting to work on movement as well.

Here are a few reps of a position entry drill with an open 7 yard target.

Any criticism, tips, etc. would be much appreciated.

You're entering with the wrong foot, moving left to right enter with the left foot, just the opposite going the opposite way. Matt Burkett & Steve Anderson run drills in their training on this, I think Matt has this entering boxes on one of his DVD's.

You're entering with the wrong foot, moving left to right enter with the left foot, just the opposite going the opposite way. Matt Burkett & Steve Anderson run drills in their training on this, I think Matt has this entering boxes on one of his DVD's.

I just watched a video of Max Michel posted on here where he advocates entering with the lead foot. Will try to find the post.

EDIT:

Here's a link. He starts talking about it and his logic behind it at about the half way point.

Edited by tha1000

Entering with the lead foot is my go to. You are slowing down already, plant that foot and you're stable. As soon as the trailing foot comes off the ground, you can shoot. If you lead with the trailing foot, you're body is in the box but you are moving substantially more until your 2nd foot comes down, delaying the shot a bit. Try both and see what works for you.

As for the OP's vid. You came to a nice stop on the first run but all the others, you took additional stutter steps after you were in the box. Either a time waster or causing poor shots, or both. Try coming in a little lower and when you plant that lead foot, it should be there. You will be more solid, be shooting sooner and hopefully more accurate.

Thanks for the feedback and the video!

Right now, moving from L to R, I'm stepping R-L-R inside the box, with that first R doing most of the deceleration. So it sounds like I should be decelerating with R OUTSIDE the box, and then end with just L-R inside the box. Does that sound about right?

I start to slow down a bit a step or two before the box. If moving L-R, my left foot will plant just outside the box, my R foot steps into it a foot or two (not on the very inside edge) and then my L foot is picked up and comes just inside the box. As Im stepping in with my R foot, the gun is being brought up and being aimed at where ever I'm shooting next

Just watched the video above, go to 3:55 and Max talks about it.

I start to slow down a bit a step or two before the box. If moving L-R, my left foot will plant just outside the box, my R foot steps into it a foot or two (not on the very inside edge) and then my L foot is picked up and comes just inside the box. As Im stepping in with my R foot, the gun is being brought up and being aimed at where ever I'm shooting next

Just watched the video above, go to 3:55 and Max talks about it.

Okay, that makes much more sense. Thanks.

• 1 month later...