Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berrys 2016 USPSA Area 1 Handgun Championship

Forwarded Email.

The time is upon us for registration for Area One. WOOHOO!! Registration will open Saturday (the 16th) @ 8pm. We will be capping at 500 shooters.

Registration will be on practiscore. For all those wishing to help with staff, are juniors shooters or sponsored shooters, please email us directly, huntemup@comcast.net , and we will send you out a registration form. Red Lion Hotel will be the match and banquet venue. We have a website that is under contruction currently but there is plenty of info on there now, www.utuspsa.com . This website will actually be the Salt Lake Practical Shooters Assn website but will have links to the others shoots that we will be putting on. We will have shirts available but at this time they are not up for sale yet, we will let everyone know when they can purchase theirs thru practiscore.

Berry's 2016 Area One USPSA Handgun Championship
May 11th thru the 15th, 2016
Fee: $200.00 / Juniors $100.00
16 stages plus the chrono
Random prize table
Raffle for the MGM Juniors Camps
Berry's Bullets is our title sponsor
Berry's Utah State USPSA 2016 Handgun Championship
September 1st thru the 4th, 2016
Fee: $100.00 / Juniors $50.00
13 Stages plus the chrono
Random Prize table
Raffle for the MGM Juniors Camps
Berry's Bullets is our title sponsor
Registration to open April 1st, 2016, no not Aprils Fools!!

It's pretty lame squadding went live and they didn't email the competitors. Saturday and Sunday are already full and I was planning on shooting those days.

I thought it was odd that you couldn't pick a shooting schedule at the time of signup as this is an Area match with multiple shooting days available.

I'm guessing a lot of people are going to withdraw once they realize they can't shoot Sat/Sun.

ETA-I just found out that squadding isn't even available for some people that have registered and paid. Why would some competitors be able to squad and some others aren't able to?

Edited by d_striker

Just a guess d_striker but perhaps only Area 1 residents are allowed to schedule first before out-of-Area shooters?

Were you able to squad up right when you registered?

I'm not attending this year but I know in the past Area 1 champs that residents of Area 1 were given until a certain cut-off date to register before it was open to everyone else. I'm just guessing that is why you can't squad at this time; might could be wrong about that but it seems that could be part of the problem.

Just a guess d_striker but perhaps only Area 1 residents are allowed to schedule first before out-of-Area shooters?

I was not. Took a few hours. It's practiscore so you pay when you register and then you must be manually approved to squad.

I'm not attending this year but I know in the past Area 1 champs that residents of Area 1 were given until a certain cut-off date to register before it was open to everyone else. I'm just guessing that is why you can't squad at this time; might could be wrong about that but it seems that could be part of the problem.

I wonder what the outcry would be if Area 2 did it like that.

I was not. Took a few hours. It's practiscore so you pay when you register and then you must be manually approved to squad.

Yeah, it looks like that's what happened. I could have sworn that I've gotten emails from Practiscore in past matches when I was approved for the match and ok'd to squad.

I think quite a few Area 2 folks would appreciate priority registration, folks from outside A2, not so much. ;)

As for squadding, Area 2 is in March. Registration opened on 5 Dec 15. Squadding will open next month on a very publicized day and time. You know you are in the match, likely know who you want to squad with, preferred schedule and how to coordinate, you know when the process begins. Minimal drama...

That said, I went to 2 Area 1 matches at SUPS as an alien and was able to get in and pretty much squad as hoped.

ETA: Striker: have you communicated with the match staff on your issue?

Edited by ChuckS

Well if I can't get a weekend squad they will have another spot opening back up. I also just noticed it is a Random draw at a 200 dollar entry fee Area match.... Not sure I am a fan of that.

I think quite a few Area 2 folks would appreciate priority registration, folks from outside A2, not so much. ;)

As for squadding, Area 2 is in March. Registration opened on 5 Dec 15. Squadding will open next month on a very publicized day and time. You know you are in the match, likely know who you want to squad with, preferred schedule and how to coordinate, you know when the process begins. Minimal drama...

That said, I went to 2 Area 1 matches at SUPS as an alien and was able to get in and pretty much squad as hoped.

ETA: Striker: have you communicated with the match staff on your issue?

No I have not communicated my issue. It is what it is.

Well if I can't get a weekend squad they will have another spot opening back up. I also just noticed it is a Random draw at a 200 dollar entry fee Area match.... Not sure I am a fan of that.

I'm guessing that only the ones that are able to shoot on Sunday are going to be at the awards. I'm not going to pay for another night at a hotel and car rental.

With 16 stages, it seems odd that the shooting is spread out so wide across different days.

I also just noticed it is a Random draw at a 200 dollar entry fee Area match.... Not sure I am a fan of that.

imho that is WAY better than giving valuable prizes to the C or D class 'winners'. But whatever, I go for the stages, not for the prize table. I have a job and can buy my own prizes, and they'll be something I want.

I'm guessing that only the ones that are able to shoot on Sunday are going to be at the awards. I'm not going to pay for another night at a hotel and car rental.

With 16 stages, it seems odd that the shooting is spread out so wide across different days.

I had heard from a lot of our local shooters that the guys run a solid match so I signed up right when I could however they don't seem to have very much information published and for the life of me I can't figure out how the weekend is full if just about half of the match is booked.

I also just noticed it is a Random draw at a 200 dollar entry fee Area match.... Not sure I am a fan of that.

imho that is WAY better than giving valuable prizes to the C or D class 'winners'. But whatever, I go for the stages, not for the prize table. I have a job and can buy my own prizes, and they'll be something I want.

I don't disagree, I guess I am used to shooting Area 2 and 3 where it is in overall order of finish.. If I am essentially paying 100 bucks for a raffle I could just go buy my own glock holster I wont use. :)...

for the life of me I can't figure out how the weekend is full if just about half of the match is booked.

sat pm sun am appears to be about 1/3 of the available slots. the other two options are fri pm and sat am, or thur pm and fri am. Lots of space still available for both.

Edited by motosapiens

for the life of me I can't figure out how the weekend is full if just about half of the match is booked.

sat pm sun am appears to be about 1/3 of the available slots. the other two options are fri pm and sat am, or thur pm and fri am. Lots of space still available for both.

Ok so it may not be as bad as previously stated. Did you look via your squadding link or a general one? If the latter could you forward it on?

Update the Sat/Sun squads are all full... bummer.

Edited by pkm

The guys here put on a great match. If you even need to question that, just reference the many people who are happy with the past few years Utah State match.

200 bucks is cheaper than Area 2, for more stages. So I don't know why that is brought up.

Also, if prize tables are why you shoot a match, then why not just not shoot the match and save the 200 bucks and spend it on a range back with a cheap ass Glock case?

Wyatt

• 2 weeks later...

The guys here put on a great match. If you even need to question that, just reference the many people who are happy with the past few years Utah State match.

200 bucks is cheaper than Area 2, for more stages. So I don't know why that is brought up.

Also, if prize tables are why you shoot a match, then why not just not shoot the match and save the 200 bucks and spend it on a range back with a cheap ass Glock case?

Wyatt

It's brought up because A1 has had significant price increases over the last couple years. It's doubled in the last ten years, from under 100 to 200. And I think people have a right to ask what the increase is for. I know I questioned it to my AD and got a quick and easily understood answer. I'll leave that to him or the match staff though so I'm not passing along my interpretation of what he said.

This is the first A1 match in a long time I'm choosing to pass on. Part the fee, part the way the prize table is awarded, but those are small parts. Just have too many other matches to choose from and this one didn't make the cut for me. I'm sure I'm going to regret that decision.

BTW, comparing the match to A2 is apples and oranges. Too many differences to list.

If it's $200 and the match still sells out I think the market has spoken on that point...

USPSA is a 501c(3) non-profit, so that's not necessarily accurate and you missed the point Chuck was trying to make.