Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LED light strip on your press?

EDA

I see all these ads for LED light strips for your press.

I thought about buying a cheap light strip off of ebay instead of one by one of the reloading companies, but does anyone actually use one and does it help at all?

It would be for me Hornady LNL.

For the price, I would say just buy the inline fabrication skylight kit (i think they make one for the LNL? I'd have to check.) And be done with it. Comes with a sticky strip and the light pod for the top, all wired already with switch and plug and everything. Could you put one together yourself? Sure, but they aren't very expensive and make a huge difference. My $0.02

For the price, I would say just buy the inline fabrication skylight kit (i think they make one for the LNL? I'd have to check.) And be done with it. Comes with a sticky strip and the light pod for the top, all wired already with switch and plug and everything. Could you put one together yourself? Sure, but they aren't very expensive and make a huge difference. My $0.02

Agree. I've got them on both my 550s. Money well spent.

I have a LnL and use the Hornady LED strip. It costs about $14.00 half of what you pay for the in-line fabrications model. I have mine mounted so that the top of the strip curves around over the top is as close to the underside of the die as possible. The in-line fabrications design is better I think but mine works well and either light, whichever one you get, is a must have option in my opinion.

I have extra small LED lamps on my bench, just not one mounted to the press shining in.

Seems to be a resounding yes. I guess the reason I'm looking at buying a longer chain off ebay is that I can add additional lighting over the pre-made ones.

That being said, my press may end up looking like a Christmas Tree...

I have an $8 reading lamp clamped to my press. Tons of light and no wiring on the press to hassle with.

But if you need LED strips by all means make your own.

Same here works great and is easy to remove and use for extra light when cleaning or smithing. Use incandescent bulbs so it doesn't get hot.

I have an $8 reading lamp clamped to my press. Tons of light and no wiring on the press to hassle with.

But if you need LED strips by all means make your own.

Same here works great and is easy to remove and use for extra light when cleaning or smithing. Use incandescent bulbs so it doesn't get hot.

That makes 3. I have the same thing.

I have a clamp on lamp from IKEA. Its led bulb is small (1.5" or so) on a flexible neck so you can get it in anywhere you need easily. It was $15 and I can move it from press to press in a few seconds.

post-5006-0-31810700-1453079063_thumb.jp

Edited by al503

At Walmart, there is this Bushnell flashlight set. The bigger flashlight takes those lithium CR123 batteries. The smaller flashlight takes just one double A battery.

On my 650, I leave station #3 open. That little flashlight got zip tied to my powder measure so it shines through the #3 hole in the toolhead. Then I have a mechanic's mirror attached to the case feeder's support. The mechanic's mirror is angled just right so without having to move my head or body, I can look right down into the case and see that it has the right amount of powder.

I've either got an eBay $8 light strip or the Hornady $14 one - basically identical.

The Inline Fab skylight setup is certainly nice, but at 5x the cost of a strip, I haven't jumped on board w/it, and the strip light works well.

YMMV as usual.

The inline fab kit is VERY nice for a 650 with the fitted center light and very small side strip.

For 1050, used a 12" LED strip from home depot attached to the square case feeder post facing shell plate, and then a small LED table lamp for the press side opposite the light strip;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-Super-Slim-12-in-Silver-LED-Dimmable-Under-Cabinet-Light-Kit-with-In-Line-Dimmer-and-15-Watt-Power-Supply-S-Lincus1-US-1-K1/203142878

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-Bay-15-in-Black-LED-Desk-Lamp-with-Lens-Included-AL40306/205510994

Edited by trgt

I agree the inline kit is awesome on the 650.

Yes it's $40 but to me buying all the bits on eBay is a false economy. Particularly once my time is accounted for.

Light strip say $8

Wiring $5

Power pack $6

Centre light/torch $6

Switch - couple $

Call it $27 all up. Saving $10 assuming you don't eat that on shipping from multiple vendors.

You still have a cobbled together kit. Have 2 things to switch on. The centre torch will also need batteries.

The inline kit is very neat looking and works really well. Definitely worth the $34-$39.

http://inlinefabrication.com/products/skylighttm-led-lighting-kit-for-the-dillon-650?s=recomatic

I have a LnL and use the Hornady LED strip. It costs about $14.00 half of what you pay for the in-line fabrications model. I have mine mounted so that the top of the strip curves around over the top is as close to the underside of the die as possible. The in-line fabrications design is better I think but mine works well and either light, whichever one you get, is a must have option in my opinion.

This is what I use. I shopped around for an eBay strip and figured any savings wasn't worth it on this. No complaints.