Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Powders for coated LRN 124 grains?

ArrDave

I've been using Titegroup, and it performs fine but man is it smoky. My criteria are not so much to do with recoil but more so if I can find the powder locally. Hodgdon powders are most available in my area, but I can do some looking. What powders are you guys using that give low smoke and low(ish) recoil? This is out of full sized CZ's, if that matters.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My prefernce is Power Pistol - but it's not soft shooting. AA#5 and VV340 gets me a softer perceived recoil.

I've seen Power Pistol on the shelf once at Cabelas.

I use WSF for coated and it is not that smoky, softer shooting also.

That, Clays, WST are the hodgdon powders I've never seen for sale locally.

Many myths out there. What's the problem with TG?

I've shot maybe 20K rounds with coated 147s out of my CZ Shadow and don't notice much smoke. Also 180s in my Limited gun. And my fiber optic front sight hasn't melted. And the gun doesn't get so hot I have to put it in a cooler with dry ice (although a cold drink is a good idea on a hot day).

(BTW, any coated bullets will smoke if you don't use enough flare on the case and it shaves the coating. I use .010- .015" flare, works just fine.)

Since Clay's has been all but impossible to find, I have switched to Claydot. Thus far I have been quite impressed. I have found it to work well with

coated bullets. If it's available in your area, you might want to consider giving it a try.

Many myths out there. What's the problem with TG?

I've shot maybe 20K rounds with coated 147s out of my CZ Shadow and don't notice much smoke. Also 180s in my Limited gun. And my fiber optic front sight hasn't melted. And the gun doesn't get so hot I have to put it in a cooler with dry ice (although a cold drink is a good idea on a hot day).

(BTW, any coated bullets will smoke if you don't use enough flare on the case and it shaves the coating. I use .010- .015" flare, works just fine.)

My dies are dialed in and I am not shaving coating, titegroup is just smoky inherently and with the 124 it appears even a little worse. Meters great though! I shoot a weekly indoor match and it's a little much.

Sent from an iDevice. Please forgive any grammatical or spelling errors. If the post doesn't make sense or is not amusing then it is technology's fault and most certainly not operator error.

It is the coating that causes the smoke, combined with the desire to reduce recoil many use TG with a light load, which causes it to smoke more than desired, as the load is not optimal.

All ball powders work this way. WST being faster than TG will smoke less, WSF needs to be loaded with more powder to get a similar result to TG so will also usually smoke less, all subject to the projectile coating working as designed.

The coating is a lubricant and is not specifically designed to reduce smoke. But at the right pressure with the right powder it will certainly create less lube smoke that grease or wax based bullet lubes.

Actually, from Bayou's site the coating's purpose is to reduce contact with lead and to reduce smoke (which comes from reduced contact with the lead). I've certainly noticed a lot of smoke when loading straight lead (no coating) with TG, but other than that with 3.2 gr and Bayou 147 gr bullets (minor, 132 PF) there's minimal smoke, and the same with .40 cal 180 gr Bayou and 4.7 gr TG (major, 171 PF). I frankly don't notice the smoke when shooting. I've looked at a number of my videos, and there's no more smoke than anybody else, and less then some.

I use Bullseye and I think it's not very smokey, but most around me are shooting TG - and I use a bit of it too. I do think it is smokier than BE. In my area, TG #1, #2 is whatever people can get their hands on. After BE is gone it will be RS Competition with 147 for me..

It is the coating that causes the smoke, combined with the desire to reduce recoil many use TG with a light load, which causes it to smoke more than desired, as the load is not optimal.

All ball powders work this way. WST being faster than TG will smoke less, WSF needs to be loaded with more powder to get a similar result to TG so will also usually smoke less, all subject to the projectile coating working as designed.

The coating is a lubricant and is not specifically designed to reduce smoke. But at the right pressure with the right powder it will certainly create less lube smoke that grease or wax based bullet lubes.

The coatings will/should smoke less than bare lead, but otherwise this is spot on - use slower powders if your combo of coated bullet + powder is 'too smoky.'

I use TG + various 124gr coated bullets, including for some indoor matches, and it's just not bothered me much, but YMMV as always.