Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Good Powders for coated LRN 124 grains?

ArrDave

Never had the opportunity to buy the more popular powders. Also buying online forces me to get larger quantities making it a little more difficult to try different stuff. I started using 4.5gr of WSF with 124gr RN Bayou Bullets to make minor with a CZ. I think it seems to measure a little better than Accurate No5 and also doesn't seem to fly out of the case as much when I'm running fast on my xl650. Seems to shoot well, and most important, I've always been able to find it without a lot of difficulty. I hate to change.

I would like to experience a cleaner powder. So far I've used PB, Accurate No 5, 7625, and now WSF. WSF may be a little cleaner, but it's hard to tell. I'm seeing Clays online from time to time, so I want to try to get my hands on a little to give it a try. I expect to hear Ode To Joy when I take off the lid. :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use Bullseye and I think it's not very smokey, but most around me are shooting TG - and I use a bit of it too. I do think it is smokier than BE. In my area, TG #1, #2 is whatever people can get their hands on. After BE is gone it will be RS Competition with 147 for me..

I love Ramshot Competition for .45 ACP but little leary of using for 9mm. Have you used it with 147's?

I have had really good luck with RS Comp and 147 coated bullets. 3.2 to 3.3 will easily get you to 130PF and because you are in the top of the burn rate it is clean, cool and about as smokeless as they come. Asking about powder is sort of like the which came first, chicken or the egg. It's about as personal as it gets and everyone likes what they like. I try them all and I too like what I like.

After BE is gone it will be RS Competition with 147 for me..

I love Ramshot Competition for .45 ACP but little leary of using for 9mm. Have you used it with 147's?

I have had really good luck with RS Comp and 147 coated bullets. 3.2 to 3.3 will easily get you to 130PF and because you are in the top of the burn rate it is clean, cool and about as smokeless as they come. Asking about powder is sort of like the which came first, chicken or the egg. It's about as personal as it gets and everyone likes what they like. I try them all and I too like what I like.

I experimented with RS Comp with 147gr coated. I can confirm 3.2gr makes at least 127pf in my CZ P09. Be wary that is 0.3gr over RS published Max. OAL is 1.145in.

I have 8lbs of RS Competition on the way from Powder Valley. Because it's one of the few cool, clean, fast-burning powders you can put into a 9mm minor load that you can find in bulk nowdays!

I've run Solo1000 for 20,000 rounds of 9mm coated 130gr, and love it. I have an 8lb jug of it that is my "major match only" powder unless the Ramshot powder wins me over.

WST also shoots well under a moly bullet, and I have about 2 pounds of that left.

I just finished up a pound of Clays that I stumbled across locally, and I have nothing bad to say about it. As soft as anything else including Solo, and similarly dirty. None of the powders I'm listing smoked much... but all leave a sooty deposit behind in your gun and aren't anywhere near as clean burning as N320.

However, unlike the caked on charcoal that you have to chip off the backside of your barrel with a tiny gunsmith's pick axe when you shoot Titegroup... all of the rest of these powders left a soot that easily wiped off with a shot of gun scrubber.

WST was probably the cleanest of the bunch. But it doesn't really matter. None of them was the mess that Titegroup was.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

• 10 months later...
For 9mm, Green Dot and American Select put a great big smile on my face. Great performance low power to high.

Parisite,

What load do you run with American Select? Just curious. Want to try out an alternative to Titegroup.

Thanks,
Chopper

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 1/31/2016 at 10:10 PM, Yardbird said:

Solo 1000, if you can find it.

This and N320 are my go to powders. I have not seen Solo1000 on the shelf since 2013 though.

Anyone using Hogdons Universal Clays?

I have over 8 lbs of it and been using it with good results so far using 124 Berry's thick plate and 115 Hornady HAP. I have some coated on the way to try.

It gives me more case fill than TG.

Hogdons list it for the 124. Just do not see much talk about it . 

2 hours ago, wingnut said:

Anyone have a WSF load for 147gr flat point.

Wingnut, for a light target load, I use 3.4 gr WSF under a 147 gr SNS coated flat point bullet at 1.125 OAL. I'll bump that up to 3.6 gr when shooting in the summer because of the powder's inverse temperature sensitivity. These loads are sub Minor, used for shooting GSSF. This round is extremely accurate out of my Glocks, though the fired cases are a little sooty.

21 hours ago, wingnut said:

What power factor with 3.4 and 3,6

Sorry, wingnut. I don't have a chrono yet. I worked up these loads based on Winchester's published data on the Hodgdon reloading site. Minimum load is 3.7 gr WSF under a 147 gr lead conical flat point bullet at 1.169 OAL. Velocity is 905 ft/s at 28,500 psi for a power factor of 133. Maximum load is 4.1 gr for 965 ft/s at 32,800 psi for a power factor of 142.

I worked up from 3.2 gr WSF at 1.125 OAL until the gun cycled reliably. That was at 3.4 gr. No pressure signs at all even with the shorter OAL.