Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hand chalk/grip lotions

e5young

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pro grip works great, but you have to follow the directions. It's is not to be "rubbed in". Squirt some in your hand, rub your hands together to spread it around, then let it air dry. Chalk works ok too, but not as well. Go to an actual climbing store and buy a chalk bag to put you chalk in. Will have a little draw string to keep the chalk in. Use a carabiner to clip it to your shooter bag. Yes you can use dirt, but with so many better options, why would you do that?

Yes we know it's cheap. Spend hundreds on a pistol, buy extra mags, a holster and rig, shooting bags, match fees, gas to get there, and I see why you might be broke. Spend twenty more bucks so your wife doesn't have to see you rolling around in the dirt. She will be wondering if her ring is real......

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using Liquidgrip (black container/blue label) and have worked for me very well, however I shot a match last weekend on a 25-30 deg weather and it stop working, is there any other grip enhancer that would work even on a cold dry temp?

cheers!

I use Petzl liquid chalk that I use for climbing. I have a brick of climbing chalk and isopropyl alcohol as well, but I've yet to find a container I like to store it in, so I usually end up grabbing more of the Petzl. 15 bucks for 200ml, isn't *tooo* bad.

I find I don't have to use much Pro Grip. I've gone to just spreading a little, about a third of what I used to use, on the fingers of my support hand, and a wee bit gets on my palms as I rub mostly into the fingers. I don't put any on the outside surfaces of my hands.

I use Liquid Grip most of the time. I only put it on my weak hand fingers and backside of my strong hand. I either run a SS with 20lpi checkering on the front strap with VZs or a PT aggressive textured grip so the gun moving in my hand isn't an issue.

But my weak hand moves on my strong hand when it's cold/dry or sweaty.

Pro grip seems to work a little better in the winter for me when it's cold/dry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Had an eye opener at the range with my buddy yesterday. Had never thought of grip enhancers other than stipple or grip tape. He whips out a bottle of liquid grip and squirts some in his hand while I'm reloading mags. Comes up beside me and says "great job loading those mags! High five!" And smears the goop on my hands. Then proceeds to flap around behind the shooting line like a pterodactyl. I proceed to mimic him while the locals at the range give us odd looks. He says "now pick up your gun." And wow... The feel of the grip was incredible. Ordered 2 bottles when I got home. Great stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Ben Stoeger has a tip with regard to the grip-enhancing lotions, which is to use the lotion in practice (both live fire and dry fire) as well as competition so that the gun feels the same all the time.

Sometimes my gun handling seems smoother with no Pro Grip, but that's when my hands are not sweaty and I don't really need it.

I have now tried Pro Grip, Liquid Grip and Fast Grip. All work and what you like will be personal to you. I find Fast Grip to be between Pro Grip (most) and Liquid Grip (least) in tackiness. Pro Grip transfers the most white residue to clothes, gun, etc. Liquid Grip transfers a little but not bad. Fast Grip transfers virtually none. Pro Grip and Liquid Grip are both visible on your hands when in use (not sure if this matters to anyone) while Fast Grip is not although you do notice your hands look a bit paler than normal. All of this is from using these items in dry fire (indoors) and also in temps ranging from below freezing to about 60. Here in Illinois we haven't had warm enough weather yet to really test them out. Results may vary when it's hot and humid.

I like the spray pro grip personally. It's easier to get a light coat. When it's excessively hot out I'll start the day with a coat of the pro grip gel and refresh it with the spray right before a stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put it on the bottom of my strong hand thumb, the back of my weak hand where my strong hand thumb rests, the back of my strong hand fingers where my weak hand wraps around, and on my strong hand pinky where it wraps around the front strap.

I use Pro Grip , but I also use something that isn't exactly " conventional " . One thing I found that works well is my rosin bag from bowling , it doesn't leave a ton of residue and my hands get so dry I end up having cracked skin pretty bad but it gets the job done nevertheless .

• 4 weeks later...

Ben Stoeger has a tip with regard to the grip-enhancing lotions, which is to use the lotion in practice (both live fire and dry fire) as well as competition so that the gun feels the same all the time.

Sometimes my gun handling seems smoother with no Pro Grip, but that's when my hands are not sweaty and I don't really need it.

I would take that advice with a grain of salt since he does sell the stuff on his website.

I feel the grip lotions are only helpful when my hands are sweaty which only happens at a match in hot weather.

I've been using Primo chalk : http://www.roguefitness.com/primo-chalk-balls?prod_id=3165&gclid=CjwKEAjw9Zu5BRCS_OuVibujhQ0SJAD7t4KrciKVz0bviaf2IAE9WWojEXKB9YThV6ZpME9FiOJpgRoC_vrw_wcB

The gym i go to was using this, so that's how i found out about it. It's weight lifters chalk, but instead of the big block you get at Academy, it comes in a pouch, and it has some tackiness to it as well. It's not just powder. Problem with it is, since the bags are supposed to be used like a rosin bag, it tends to get all over.

The gym recently switched over to Bison Chalk. It's basically the same thing, without the extra chalk flying around. The chalk stays in the ball, yet still allows you to get it on your hands. I'm ordering some today, will report back after i've used it on the range.

http://www.amazon.com/Bison-Designs-oz-Standard-Chalkball/dp/B008TYH64C/ref=pd_sim_468_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=41-Ne0G0SrL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=12B02ZFR89DDFWQS929D

I would take that advice with a grain of salt since he does sell the stuff on his website.

I feel the grip lotions are only helpful when my hands are sweaty which only happens at a match in hot weather.

Advice to me is something that needs to be tested and independently verified/refuted. Experience shows when you will get your own best results with or without the stuff.

It's more important to get in lots of dry fire time, less important whether you use the tacky stuff on your hands for practice.