Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2016 FN 3 Gun Championship

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are matches out there that don't require competitors to reset???

FN USA Championship until this year was that, RO did all reset. Now not this year. Things change.

BC

There are matches out there that don't require competitors to reset???

FN USA Championship until this year was that, RO did all reset. Now not this year. Things change.

BC

I guess I will be getting less steps this year. Yeah!! Edited by poortrader

Let me apologize for not being clear. I keep forgetting that sarcasm does not come across well on forums. When I said: Hmm. Someone forgot to tell me. Maybe if you contacted a match official, we could have helped clarify that "rumor." - I was being sarcastic. Because I AM a match official. And I was trying to clarify, but clearly I failed to make my point.

There has been NO cut in staff compared to previous years. There are NO plans to only place 3 RO's on a stage. During the main match, there are no plans to have competitors paste or reset stages.

We are still talking to potential sponsors (updated lists are on the match website) and are planning on having a comparable prize table to previous years, but that is still a work in progress.

At the $300 entry fee, we are comparable in price to most major 3-Gun matches. We are traditionally the best staffed and have a great prize table. But if you are worried about insufficient fun or value for your dollars to "cross the country," or even to cross the street, just let me know. There are more than 50 shooters on a waiting list & you will make someone happy.

Linda Chico

There are a lot of rumors about the FN Championship. I know Linda is commenting also, but let me dispel some of them:

1. Staff will be resetting the targets. We have 57 staff at this point. That's 5-6 per stage. The same as years' past. Some stages have more, some less depending on terrain etc. On average they are the best, most experienced staff we have had to date. As a whole I am extremely pleased with the quality of this year's staff and would put them up against any major in the country, in any sport. I am comfortable with 57. That being said, I always have room for high quality ROs. Always have, always will.

2. The prize table will still be the best in all of 3 gun. Dave is really doing well with this. He must have a ton of friends in the industry because even with the downturn in sales hitting the firearms market he is hitting balls out of the park on a consistent basis.

3. We will be having a banquet like year's past which is really heads above the other matches in the country. It is one of the things that separate this match from the others and this tradition continues. It will be the same place as last year.

4. The ladies from the church who did lunch last year will be doing it again this year. Yes, it's also the best match food in the country.

5. The match is full. It filled quickly and there are 50 people on the waiting list. If you're in, and you have any doubts just email Linda and someone else will be happy to take your spot.

So far, I believe two things will change:

1. We will have less carnival type stuff. No weird shooting positions. No throwing things. Pure shooting tests. That's what we're into.

2. We are looking into doing the shooter meeting on the internet. Dave is working on a power point presentation that shooters will be able to view on their devices ahead of time that addresses all of things we used to do in person. This will save may of you a hotel room for one night if you choose to do so. Particularly those who shoot an afternoon first.

I am proud of this match. Linda, AJ, and I have 5 years of labor into making it one of the best matches in the country. One of the world's leading firearms manufacturers is still a driving force in this match. Dozens of past sponsors stand with us again. Some things have changed. Larry has moved on to other things. There have been other changes in the company and the industry. But with 75% of the original match staff intact and the addition of Dave, we believe we will at least be as great as we always were, and quite possibly better.

I look forward to seeing you on the range.

Howard C. Thompson

Range Master

2016 FN Championship

4. The ladies from the church who did lunch last year will be doing it again this year. Yes, it's also the best match food in the country.

You just made my day :D :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the Internet based shooter's meeting. That saves me 3 and a half hours of driving the day before the match and it is very much appreciated.

Also, thanks for the "less carnival, more shooting" stance.

First off Howard & Linda I want to say Thanks for all the work you guys have to do to get this (and other) matches ready for us shooters. I know its a Thankless job, so I wanted to say Thanks

Secondly if the online meeting happens I will be a very happy shooter. I'm an AM/PM/AM guy and not having to drive 45 minutes after the shooters meeting and then get up at o'dark thirty to start the match would be fan-fraking-tastic

• 2 months later...

The new MBX AR mag coupler bases with wings are really cool, but we don't want an arms race a month before the match so this item is not up for discussion. This is my determination as Range Master and next year if you like we can revisit it.

First, let me say all the stage descriptions say "Gun lying flat on table". Standing up on these things does not meet the "flat" requirement. The RO should not let you start like that but if for some reason you do the penalty is 60 seconds per rule 6.1.10.2 "If it is determined by the Range Master that a participant started a stage in a position other than that as stated in the stage description, a procedural penalty shall be applied and if the opinion of the range master a competitive advantage was gained a 60 second procedural penalty shall be applied. Either penalty shall be applied without consideration of the participant being given a reshoot."

Second, while you are allowed to use a magazine or even a coupled mag for support, adding stabilizers is not in the intent of the tactical and heavy metal divisions. It will be OK in Open, but if you use it for support in any other division you will be moved to Open. The rules specifically forbid supporting devices in all divisions other than Open.

Support question.

Last couple of years there were some interesting products on rifles that apparently was not ruled a support for tactical class. Rule last year and this year says "supporting devices are prohibited", yet there were interesting wide monopods on hand guards that were used for support. Some of which was obvious they were helping for support on long range...yet, they said it was a monopod and legal. Granted the ascu-shot silo is for support and prohibited. I would like a better understanding of this rule. Actually I've seen these types of support devices for the past two years and people say it's a monopod. Why do I ask? If I'm beat by 10 seconds over two stages whereas the other person had a "wide monopod" they used for support and it was legal...then why not give everyone the same opportunity to everyone else. Some RO's say it's not legal, some say it's legal and so on. Suggestion: (A) say nothing attached to the bottom of the hand guard, or ( B )something 1" wide, 3" height, 1" depth is maximum to be installed on the bottom of the hand guard.

Edited by j28s

I have been using the Springer Precision coupler for the last couple of seasons. Would that be okay since it doesn't have the "wings?"

http://shop.springerprecision.com/product.sc?productId=254&categoryId=21

No restrictions on mag capacity in TacOps?

Thank you. Looking forward to another great match.

Yes, couplers are OK as long as they don't have wings. Even the MBX.

There are no mag restrictions in Tac Ops or Tac Lim aside from only two mags coupled.

Support question.

Last couple of years there were some interesting products on rifles that apparently was not ruled a support for tactical class. Rule last year and this year says "supporting devices are prohibited", yet there were interesting wide monopods on hand guards that were used for support. Some of which was obvious they were helping for support on long range...yet, they said it was a monopod and legal. Granted the ascu-shot silo is for support and prohibited. I would like a better understanding of this rule. Actually I've seen these types of support devices for the past two years and people say it's a monopod. Why do I ask? If I'm beat by 10 seconds over two stages whereas the other person had a "wide monopod" they used for support and it was legal...then why not give everyone the same opportunity to everyone else. Some RO's say it's not legal, some say it's legal and so on. Suggestion: (A) say nothing attached to the bottom of the hand guard, or ( B )something 1" wide, 3" height, 1" depth is maximum to be installed on the bottom of the hand guard.

Nothing may be on a rifle in Tac Ops, Tac Lim and HM, that may be used for support. This includes monopods of any width. All ROs will be instructed and I expect consistent enforcement. I don't know of any instances where it was not last year. I do like your "nothing attached to handguard" idea and can see implementing that.

Edited by Howard762

Questions I answered today in an email. I want all to be able to see them.

Stage 3

How narrow are the vertical slats? I am assuming shooting rifle horizontal to ground?

Correct. Probably 3-4" inches.

Stage 5

Says 4 gongs - diagram only shows 3?

A mistake, it should say 3.

Stage 10

What is the brown square? Is that a wall? A roof to shoot off of? Or a visual block?

The Peacemaker house, which is something you cannot shoot, and targets will be placed so you won't.

I also was asked about flashlights on pistols. They are weights and serve no other purpose. They will not be allowed in divisions other than open.

Edited by Howard762

Questions I answered today in an email. I want all to be able to see them.

Stage 5

Says 4 gongs - diagram only shows 3?

A mistake, it should say 3.

[/color]

I fixed the typo on stage 5 -- on the individual stage design, as well as in the match booklet.

Linda Chico

Sent from my T1-A22L using Tapatalk

regarding "nothing attached to handguard" can i suggest "nothing attached that sticks out more than 1/4 or 1/2" or so in any direction"? so as to allow short rail sections and or qd swivel attachment points.