Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting on the move

elftech86

I have been working on moving while shooting and the one tip new to me is turning the feet in the direction of travel for lateral movement. So simple yet mind blowing! I jumped up and practiced dry firing moving in this way instead of side stepping and the stability of the sights is SO much better!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely. Everyone finds shooting while backing up to be the most stable on their first try going forward, back, and sideways.

You naturally roll from toe-to-heel in reverse. You then have to learn to crouch low and roll smoothly from heel-to-toe going forward.

It's impossible to do in sidestep without going ridiculously slowly.

So you turn yourself at the waist and make that direction into "forward" for your feet.

• 2 weeks later...

Frank Proctor teaches a technique he calls "stirring the pot" you keep your elbows up and bent with the pistol a bit closer in than usual, walk or run as normal. It's kind of like what B. Enos was talking about carrying a glass of water. Basically the same concept, you already know how to walk and keep something stable while you do it.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/11/2016 at 1:38 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Practice ...

Even dry firing ...

See the sights move as you move, pull trigger when sights are on target ....

Think seriously iff you really save time/accuracy (points) by moving vs.

stopping and shooting..... :cheers:

This. I've set up mock stages, and ran it both ways multiple times. Im usually a bit faster, and almost always have better hits if I just run up, and then stop and shoot, vs shooting in the move.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 1/11/2016 at 0:00 PM, elftech86 said:

Shooting on the move has always been quite a challenge... at least for me. have noticed that it is much easier to shoot will pulling away from a target; as opposed to driving into one. Does anyone else have this issue? And, any tips to better one's engagement while moving forward? Thanks for the advice.

pull uour gun closer, shoot when you back foot just lift from ground 

If the targets are on your left/right, turn trailing foot towards target on step to take shot.  Target on left, left foot is trailing and turns towards target.  So, I know I want to take the shot, my left foot gets rotated towards target while I step with it, right foot keep straight and takes step.  All this only happens on one step. Everything returns to normal after that step.  This technique just helps to align your body with the target and keep shooting posture as close to normal as possible while maintaining momentum.

Or you can drag your trailing foot.  I mean ever so briefly.  Only happens right as you are taking your shots.  You are able to continue without stopping completely but still have 2 points of contact with the ground.

Or just walk around with a glass of water on your head.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

As mentioned by a few earlier, shooting while moving forward is easier than moving backwards. I would only try with close targets and when doing so a low center of gravity is helpful. If I have multiple scoring hits from one position id rather be stationary.