Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady Bullet Feeder Tubes for LNL AP

EDA

I use them. For me they work very well even with my coated bullets. I load them up before I start loading just as I do with primers. They do increase my load rate some where between 30 & 40%. I use them on a RCBS Pro 2000 so I don't have a case feeder and allows me to focus on powder drop and putting my brass into the shell plate.

I use PVC tubing in the correct diameter, cheaper and you can cut them to the length you want.

It makes the loading process a lot smoother and filing the tubes is pretty quick, you can do it while watching TV or something.

I don't need the full-automated bullet feeder, but thought one of these would speed up things a bit without much cost.

Depends. You still have to pick up each bullet and orientate nose up over a hole. One would be over a case the other would be over a tube. So if you counted the time it took you to load the tubes, it's not going to speed things up as much as you think.

The speed advantage with case and bullet feeders comes from the collators.

I use it for 40 cal and they work well enough. It is nice to keep your hand out of the way, but I upgraded to the Hornady bullet feeder and would never go back. That said you will like the tubes a lot. It takes a bit to get the feeder die going but once you do you can rock it out.

For those of you that have it working well. How much movement are you allowing between the 2 collets on the upper setting. And how far turned down after hitting the case?

Mine grabs a few in a row at times and others it will not drop one when it grabs so the next time it drops but doesn't grab.

I checked all of my bullet feed dies and all of them have between 1/32 and a 1/16 of an inch from the bottom lip and collet. These bullet feed dies can be finicky and none of them acted the same. What I did to set mine was load the die with bullets (no tubes) turned the adjustment of the die until the collet was just tight and backed off a half turn and see if it would drop a bullet. I would keep loosening the adjustments a quarter turn until it would drop bullets and tweak with minor adjustments until I was satisfied with the reliability.

I don't need the full-automated bullet feeder, but thought one of these would speed up things a bit without much cost.

Depends. You still have to pick up each bullet and orientate nose up over a hole. One would be over a case the other would be over a tube. So if you counted the time it took you to load the tubes, it's not going to speed things up as much as you think.

The speed advantage with case and bullet feeders comes from the collators.

Hmm, that is a good point. Either put the bullets down the tube or put the bullets onto the case...

I guess it is not an overall decrease in time, it is a perceived decrease in time since the bullet tubes can be loaded when you are not reloading the cartridges, just like pre-loading primer tubes.

I guess it is not an overall decrease in time, it is a perceived decrease in time since the bullet tubes can be loaded when you are not reloading the cartridges, just like pre-loading primer tubes.

That's it. Kind of like saving money by reloading while you just sink more money into shooting.

For those of you that have it working well. How much movement are you allowing between the 2 collets on the upper setting. And how far turned down after hitting the case?

I have only used one Hornady bullet feeder but I just ran the ram all the way up and screwed the die down into the case until it dropped the bullet into it.