Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lessons learned from being an RSO

phecksel

In days past, I had people tell me if you really want to learn how to fly, and I was good at it, become an instructor.

Let me tell you, I started playing RSO with just a few short hours of formal instruction, and felt terribly naive. That feeling has long since gone away...

HOLY CRAP have I seen some crazy stuff.

Police Officer, holding his firearm straight up in the air, finger on the trigger, pulling his slide back after inserting a fresh mag.

Different LEO, his wife, CHECKED BY A RSO, magazine still in a cleared firearm.

There's a bunch more minor lessons that I'm sure everybody has seen.

Today, I learned what Tom Gresham from Gun Talk has repeatedly talked about his show, and that's mind set. Training, whether it's personal defense, defense of others, or even competition is about mind set.

I had a new competitor show up on the range for his second match with a loaded firearm. I chewed him out, and then let him shoot the match. After he shot, I mentioned it to the CRSO, who called the ready room, who came down to find out who was loading a firearm in the ready room. I was told they were screaming at him...

Point of mind set??? What I should have done was had him unload the firearm and THROWN HIS ASS OFF MY LINE!!!

Match director talked to my wife for a bit today... I think he wants to groom her for bigger things then Chief score room judge in the competition... and complimented me on my observations on the line. Apparently I'm on of the few people that can be out there all day and still catch everything. But, I also recognize when I have to take a break.

My own recognition of safety is completely different today.

On a funny note, one of the competitors did a most outstanding job cutting a target in half today. We considered giving him 10 points for dead center cut... but since he left a hanging chad, decided against it.

Great day with a bunch of new shooters.

I was watching a brand new young lady and a seasoned veteran. Young lady turned to show me her empty firearm and I gently returned the muzzle down range. Match director called the clubs trainer off the line into the booth. Then he said over the PA they needed my help at the other end. He explained afterwards that he wanted the instructor to work with her, but did not want to embarrass her or make her thing she did something wrong. It was actually a pretty slick move.

+1. As an 8 year IDPA CSO I have seen all sorts of 'interesting' stuff.

Most is simply done because of a lack of training/experience on the part of a new shooter and can be cured with a simple explanation/counseling from the SO/RO.

With a brand new shooter I do believe that is the best course of action. They did it because they simply didn't know better. The SO/RO can make them learn better.

I have seen a couple of total jerks that refused to benefit from 'counseling' and I had to DQ them.

When you put the timer in your hand and call a shooter to the line you do have more responsibilities than just pushing the button to start the timer and then calling penalties and calling the time to the score keeper. Sometimes, it gets a bit complex and requires some "adult behavior' from the SO/RO. BTDT.

Being a CSO or a RO or a CRO doesn't make you GOD. You will learn over time to treat all shooters with respect just as you want to be treated.

I've been a USPSA CRO since 1991 and I have seen a lot of "strange things" happen. All of them could have been avoided if the shooter just slowed down a little or the Safety Office took a little more time with the shooter.

Just my humble opinion.

Thanks,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I didnt realize everything that was so safety oriented until I became a Certified Range Officer with NROI. There is a major responsibility that comes with this title. I always take my time with new shooters at local matches and treat others how want to be treated. As stated above being a RO doesnt make you God per say but it does hold you to a higher standard imo

• 1 year later...

I have been ROing 3 gun for a little while and we have an issue with people not attaching their belt to an inner belt.  Their is a lot of movement and the pistol is normally shot last.  I have had two full belt rigs with shotgun shells, pistol mags, rifle mags and pistol go rolling down the range when the shooter is running with a long gun.  I had one shooter argue that the pistol did not leave the holster so it can't be a DQ.

• 3 weeks later...

Just reading this makes me flinch...thinking of the times I 'almost' screwed up, but either I caught myself or the RO quietly mentioned something like, 'did you intend to lock that holster?'. 

Ran to the washroom thinking I had enough time before my call to the line, put the gun in the safety area and made the run, came out of the toilet to hear my name being called...ran to the line and stood there panting waiting for the 'load and make ready' command. After a longggg pause I turned hesitantly to look at the RO who was just staring at me...then he looked down, and I followed his eyes...the entire rest of the squad was laughing, so I started laughing too, what else could I do? Still makes me smile. I'll never forget the twinkle in that RO's eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

One change becoming an RO is that you aren't watching the shooting/results, you are watching the shooter/gun, and the muzzle and trigger finger in particular. Not the ROs job to judge hits or anything else downrange - it's to make sure nothing gets out of control uprange.