Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW: Walther Q5 Match - New awesome production guns showing up everywh

EngineerEli

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately Walther and Grand Power with likely never make a dent in any significant numbers in our sport, so it's unlikely to see much support beyond factory and fringe manufacturing. I do applaud them for thinking outside the box though.

A few years ago I'd have agreed, but not lately, especially with Walther.

Taran Basepads, Apex Trigger Kit, not exactly fringe aftermarket support. Sponsoring Area 4 the last couple of years, and offering some sponsorship to other clubs and matches. Back in 2012 when I started with a PPQ, there were a couple of us in Northern Illinois who shot them with any regularity. I ditched the platform not long after, but I see more and more of them at matches. These days it doesn't shock me to see three or four at a club match of 65-70 shooters.

Is that significant? Not in the CZ/Glock way, but in a few years, with them concentrating on Production Optics, I can see them carving out a pretty decent niche. Again, no way it'll ever be a "premier" choice for competitive shooters, but it definitely has a growing following, and an awful lot of people sure seem to like them once they put a few rounds downrange.

To me the plenary question is whether the Apex trigger is installed on the new gun thus rendering the Apex trigger legal for production. Does anyone have that answer?

If the trigger is a factory option and the gun is registered with USPSA, the trigger is legal for that gun. Does not make it legal on any gun for Production

I understand the rules. My question is whether the Apex trigger is installed on the new gun as it comes from the factory

In answer to my own question, Apex has responded their trigger will not be on it

• 3 weeks later...

Saw/handled one today. They had manufacturer's open house at one of our LGSs.

Only difference from a standard 5", was the comp sights, (fiber optic front), extra ports in the slide, and the optic mount. Rep said the trigger was the same, except for the color.

So not really a big deal unless you want optics

Bob

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Only difference from a standard 5", was the comp sights, (fiber optic front), extra ports in the slide, and the optic mount. Rep said the trigger was the same, except for the color.

Bob

Thanks for bailing me out. I didn't go to the Walther event fairly close to me. My ardor diminished when I heard the Randy Lee trigger wasn't going into it. The MSRP is high for what they have added imo unless you really want to go optics division

Edited by underlug

Bob

Thanks for reporting in

Bob

Thanks for bailing me out. I didn't go to the Walther event fairly close to me. My ardor diminished when I heard the Randy Lee trigger wasn't going into it. The MSRP is high for what they have added imo unless you really want to go optics division

Only around a hundred bucks more then what KY Guns is asking for a standard 5inch model. And based on pricing out milling a normal slide for an optic plus whatever the extra slide serrations / cuts would be seems worth it based on that alone. Though considering the cost of a specially made holster to accommodate the mount, probably a wash on price. I do agree that it is definitely a niche product but nice to see Walther trying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I shot a friend's stock Walther PPQ M2 at a practice recently.

I have to say, I was VERY impressed.

It is not going to replace my CZ 75 AccuShadow in Production, but for a polymer pistol......I thought it was amazing. It would be better than a Glock or M & P, if it didn't have the short grip.

• 2 weeks later...

I played around with one at a shop last week. I thought I'd love it, but it wasn't to be. Turns out that my hand just doesn't fit well on the PPQ platform. The hump on the back of the grip wasn't "right" for me, but I could have lived with that. The real issue was the fact that my thumb knuckle hit the corner of beavertail area (in the same way that MAC on youtube complains about the Ruger American). It was noticeable just holding the gun for 2 minutes that I'm sure it would be a major problem after a few hundred rounds (or likely many less than that) in a session. If I already owned the gun, I'd probably re-contour the frame for a more comfortable grip. However, since I don't own an PPQs, I figured it was just easier to to skip it altogether.

I'm not quite sure where some of these shops find their salespeople. The kid showing me the Q5 told me that I "definitely want the ported Q5 over the regular PPQ because I wouldn't want to overheat my barrel during competition". He said it with such authority and matter-of-factness that it gave me douche-chills.

I heard from a Walther Tech that the Q5 is all ready to be approved and as soon as they distribute 2000 it will be. Which must have been yesterday as the USPSA Production list now includes the Q5 Match. With an official weight of 26 oz. which combined with a Red dot comes well under the Carry Optics maximum. Walther's response really impressed me as I didn't mention exact details about getting approved and the rep directly mentioned the 2000 units requirement.

Based on my familiarity with the base PPQ and since I have spare mags to use as well, seriously thinking the Q5 Match is going to become my dedicated competition choice with being able to easily go from production to carry optics the clincher.

They are new and a low volume make / model. I would suspect that over time the price would come down.

I doubt it will come down much. I bought a ppq m2 and a navy when they first came out and they look like they are about the same price today. Walthers have always been a bit pricey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I've seen PPQ's in the mid to upper $400's lately. I don't recall seeing them that cheap when they first came out. However, you're probably right about the Q5. At the very least, it will be a couple of years before there is a substantial drop in price, if at all.