Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

NEW: Walther Q5 Match - New awesome production guns showing up everywh

EngineerEli

How much do you think Walther is actually putting up?

With a minimum of 6 competitors in a class, that kinda of eliminates most USPSA Area Matches for Carry Optics, at last glace I saw a couple of Area matches with only 7-8 people total signed up, which leaves just about only Optics Nationals as a potential payout. I'm sure it's possible for someone. I don't see anyone winning, much less shooting a PPQ in Limited, so that money is fairly safe. I don't know too many people who are shooting a PPQ at the GM/M level (I know at least one M) so I suspect their money is pretty safe at those levels in Production as well. (M Class Carry Optic's....they may end up paying out there.....)

Now I don't know IDPA anymore, and there are definitely people in the divisions there, but I'd bet Walther pays out less than $20k in prize money this year, probably close to $10-12k, further I'd bet that they end up spending more advertising the contingency program.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, I think it's a good thing, and it's a great marketing concept for a gun that is underappreciated. I'd love it if they did pay out a ton, but I'd suspect most of their money is really pretty safe.

They're putting up $400,000. Who knows how much they will actually have to payout.

They chance to win some money in an almost zero cash payout sport may draw some people to switch to a PPQ Q5. I suspect at least some D, C, B, and A class guys might buy a PPQ to try to win a little.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, 3djedi said:

They're putting up $400,000. Who knows how much they will actually have to payout.

They chance to win some money in an almost zero cash payout sport may draw some people to switch to a PPQ Q5. I suspect at least some D, C, B, and A class guys might buy a PPQ to try to win a little.

I'd suggest that they are offering to put up $400,000 and are very secure with the knowledge they will pay out perhaps 5% of that. So no, I don't think they are earmarking $400k for the contingency plan. 

I'd suggest that they are offering to put up $400,000 and are very secure with the knowledge they will pay out perhaps 5% of that. So no, I don't think they are earmarking $400k for the contingency plan. 

Yeah probably only a fraction of that. But it still may get some people excited enough to buy a Q5. It's pretty good marketing. Gets their name out there and not a whole lot of payout.

Truth, and that's what I was getting at.

The contingency plan, and the marketing for it won't cost Walther a ton, and it's got people talking, which is great for them. If they spend $20 in payout, and $6k of that goes to the winner of CO "M" Class, they can spin that for a ton of mileage. Hell, it's just a different route than what Sig did with "Team Sig", and it probably costs Walther less, and has a chance to include more people. I think it's great!

(I'm still not going to drag out my PPQ and shoot it, but it will sell some guns,and bring attention to a fairly under appreciated, and really solid gun.)

Good on Walther!

Truth, and that's what I was getting at.

The contingency plan, and the marketing for it won't cost Walther a ton, and it's got people talking, which is great for them. If they spend $20 in payout, and $6k of that goes to the winner of CO "M" Class, they can spin that for a ton of mileage. Hell, it's just a different route than what Sig did with "Team Sig", and it probably costs Walther less, and has a chance to include more people. I think it's great!

(I'm still not going to drag out my PPQ and shoot it, but it will sell some guns,and bring attention to a fairly under appreciated, and really solid gun.)

Good on Walther!

I bought a Q5 just before they came out with the plan. I bought it just for fun. Thought would be fun to try CO. I might actually take it to Area 3 or 4 now. Lol

No payout though!

Only 8 people shooting CO so far at Area 4, and you'd need 5 others in the same class for it to pay. Area 3 only has 7 total so far, so no payout there either! I really hope a few more people buy in, and register for those matches so it can happen.

That said, if you do run it at A4, make sure you post here or on Waltherforums! I still haven't had a close look at the Q5 with a dot, and gotta admit, I could see adding one down the road.

-Cheers!

No payout though!

Only 8 people shooting CO so far at Area 4, and you'd need 5 others in the same class for it to pay. Area 3 only has 7 total so far, so no payout there either! I really hope a few more people buy in, and register for those matches so it can happen.

That said, if you do run it at A4, make sure you post here or on Waltherforums! I still haven't had a close look at the Q5 with a dot, and gotta admit, I could see adding one down the road.

-Cheers!

Will do. I haven't even classified yet. I'm probably a C right now. I'm not used to these light polymer guns! Lol

I figured it would be more popular. Especially since the 140mm mag rule update with no round cap. Maybe I like it because I'm at the age where my vision has started to change.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How is the recoil on these Q5's? I've heard the PPQ can be a bit more snappy than other polymer guns, and felt that way about my P99 before I sold it. 

Also are y'all still playing with the spring rates? I know of a 48N rated rod from BT Guide rods, and Yellow/White Sprinco springs. I want to say there is some Glock compatibility but can't guarantee that, and still haven't heard of any non captured guide rods. How's everything working out? 

Has anybody done any serious bench-testing for accuracy on these yet?  I've heard a few guys claim extremely good accuracy.  I'm looking for 25 or 50yd groups with good ammo.  I'd like to shoot Bianchi Cup with one in Production, but I'd like it to be capable of under 3" at 50 yards with the right load...so like 4" would ideal before load development.

On 3/5/2017 at 11:16 AM, joshuasm said:

How is the recoil on these Q5's? I've heard the PPQ can be a bit more snappy than other polymer guns, and felt that way about my P99 before I sold it. 

Also are y'all still playing with the spring rates? I know of a 48N rated rod from BT Guide rods, and Yellow/White Sprinco springs. I want to say there is some Glock compatibility but can't guarantee that, and still haven't heard of any non captured guide rods. How's everything working out? 

I like the recoil impulse and the speed of the slide cycling.

I use the factory spring. My Q5 is all factory parts except the front sight and magazine base pads.

I can shoot fast because the slide cycles fast.

The flip doesn't feel much different than my Glock.

There is a video of me shooting below. I shot 124 gr 135pf+ ammo.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

1 hour ago, RippinSVT said:

Has anybody done any serious bench-testing for accuracy on these yet?  I've heard a few guys claim extremely good accuracy.  I'm looking for 25 or 50yd groups with good ammo.  I'd like to shoot Bianchi Cup with one in Production, but I'd like it to be capable of under 3" at 50 yards with the right load...so like 4" would ideal before load development.

My Q5 groups around 1.5 inch at 25 yards with Xtreme HP 124gr at 135pf (1.120 OAL loaded with Prima V 3.8gr).

It shoots All As at 50 yards but I didn't measure the group size.

Edited by hwansikcjswo

On 3/9/2017 at 3:12 PM, hwansikcjswo said:

My Q5 groups around 1.5 inch at 25 yards with Xtreme HP 124gr at 135pf (1.120 OAL loaded with Prima V 3.8gr).

It shoots All As at 50 yards but I didn't measure the group size.

Why the switch from the tanfo?!

hwansikcjswo, ironically, I just ordered a Q5, and I just started loading Prima V. I loaded 3.8 Gr. Prima V under a RMR JHP at 1.132" OACL, and found it to be a an excellent load through my 1911 Commander. However, I settled on just a tad more Prima V at 4.0 Gr. Man this powder shoots soft. Now, I just have to wait for my Q5.

hwansikcjswo, ironically, I just ordered a Q5, and I just started loading Prima V. I loaded 3.8 Gr. Prima V under a RMR JHP at 1.132" OACL, and found it to be a an excellent load through my 1911 Commander. However, I settled on just a tad more Prima V at 4.0 Gr. Man this powder shoots soft. Now, I just have to wait for my Q5.

For my Q5 I used 124g blue bullets and they have to be loaded SHORT. Something like 1.095 if I recall. All the MG JHP's I have loaded for my glocks (1.135") don't fit.

I believe that the Q5s have "short" chambers. I shot one the other day, and I recall that the brass appeared to reflect just that point. Be that as it may, I was amazed at how the Q5 shot and the exceptionally smooth trigger.