Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Loren Neill

Guy Neill

For those that know Loren from Steel Challenge and the Bianchi Cup, the breast cancer discovered in 2004, and thought to have been eliminated through chemo and radiation, has returned, but now in multiple bones. She is having fluid build-up in her lung as well, averaging a liter a week being drained.

She worked the matches (as well as her job) through the ordeal then, and continues working presently. I wish I was remotely as brave and strong as she.

She misses seeing everyone at the matches.

Thanks for listening.

Guy

Guy-

My heart goes out to the entire Neill family. Please say hello to Loren and give her my best wishes.

My fondest Steel Challenge memories include her smile & relaxing sense of humor every year on Roundabout. I also recall her making a not so stellar performance on the Mover at the Bianchi Cup a little less painful.

She will be on my mind with positive thoughts, energy & hope that she can defeat this wrenched enemy and make a full recovery.

Never give up; stay strong & keep fighting!

Jim

• 1 year later...

Thanks for all the good wishes.  I'm sorry I have not updated things.

Loren is presently (and has been for a while) on a hormone treatment that looks to be controlling the cancer.  They can't cure it, but they are saying that as long as she's on the medication she can see  a fairly normal life.  They are both interested in working a stage.  They greatly enjoy seeing everyone.  She is off oxygen and having her lung drained for quite a while now.

She and Tammy are planning to be at the West Coast Steel Championship this year.  We did pass on her going to the SHOT Show last week as she had just gotten over pneumonia a week or so before the Show.

Guy

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

An update I wish I were not writing. 

Loren is dying.

Those that know her know her history.  For others, she

worked the Bianchi Cup and Steel Challenge events for many years.  She worked the Steel Challenge until the USPSA took it over, and she worked every Bianchi Cup for 30 or so years until Tom told her to get lost.  Otherwise she would likely still be RO-ing there.

Her USPSA member number is A633.  She has never let me upgrade as she rather liked having the fairly low number.

She has battled cancer since 2004.  She is losing the battle.  The doctors told us late last week that without treatment she may have six months more.  With treatment it depends.  The meds are potent and may kill her in and of itself, or due to side effects.  If it is not effective against the cancer, the same up to six months apply.  If it does affect the cancer, is can be longer, but the doctor would not give an estimate of how much longer.

That indicates to me that she only has a 25% chance of surviving past six months.

Thanks for listening.

I so don't want to lose her.  I love her.

• 4 weeks later...

Loren has finished the first series with the new chemo.  She seemed improved.  At least she has not required draining fluid from her lungs (lining) for 2 or 3 weeks.  I see that alone as an improvement.

One day at a time.

gUY

The pain of losing a loved one is a reflection of the Love we have for them. 

Sounds like she's still fighting so hang in there.

Loved ones such as her are to be treasured and honored.  May you both be blessed.

I'm praying for you both.

• 1 month later...

Update – 5-24-19

Loren completed the third series of the new chemo earlier this week.  She is doing quite well, at least so far.

They removed the drain they had placed in her left lung as nothing was draining.  She is up and about much more than she was a couple of months ago – even to the point of driving once again.  She has not been on oxygen for the last month or so.

They have not yet done a scan to look at things, but one is coming up in June as I recall.

While they will never cure her, hopefully the new meds will hold things at the present level.

Fingers crossed she continues to do well.  Many thanks for all the well wishes and prayers.

Guy

• 2 months later...

Update 8-25-19

While the new chemo started out doing well, it has now run it's course.  The tumors are again growing.  The doctors have taken her off chemo and are offering no further treatment. They are recommending hospice and making her comfortable.

Her breathing is becoming more and more difficult.  In the last six weeks they have drained about 4½ liters of fluid from her right lung.  The left lung can no longer be drained as the fluid there has thickened.

Her birthday is in about six weeks.  I do not know if she will see it.  A walk down the hall is an ordeal for her.

I very much wish I had better news. It is very difficult writing this.